'11 Suzuki SX4 AWD

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I think you're right to suspect the factory 12V outlet would be capable of handling a compressor. I'd either go straight to the battery, or run new wires if I needed the connection elsewhere.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Yeah to be honest I've popped the fuse multiple times with my compressor. I upped the fuse and it hasn't happened again but I'm sure I'm right on the edge of melting those tiny gauge wires.

But it manages to run it long enough to get my tires from 18psi to 34 without catching fire so that's really all I need.

madmaths

Observer
Just buy a simple 12v socket. If you look in the right rear you'll see a hole that you can simply pop out slide in the 12v socket. All the wires are already there for the 12v socket. Couldn't be easier! No idea why they just couldn't include the 12v socket from the factory.

Here my viair compressor in my Sorento ( http://www.viaircorp.com/ )

qunesy8y.jpg

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
That's a nice compressor. I keep getting cheap compressors for gifts and so far I haven't broken one before receiving another, so I can't seem get myself to spend the cash on a nice one when I still have a couple cheap ones that still work.

My spare tire compartment looks pretty similar. The things I always keep with me: Big first aid kit, fire extinguisher, multiple flash lights, umbrella, poncho, spare water, couple power bars, tool kit (basically just things to change a tire), spare fuses, blanket, gloves and a toque, air compressor, OBDII scanner, jumper cables, tow strap, hunting knife, zippo, and bear spray. On my extended trips I just basically add some more recovery equipment to that list. I think that's about the bare minimum anyone should have with them when they venture into the wilderness - or even away from home for that matter. All fits nicely under my false floor along with my subwoofer!

plumber mike

Adventurer
Does that 12v connection in the rear get triggered by the ignition? If so, a relay with bigger wire running back from the battery would be the safest way to run anything you wanted that might be high draw.

Has anyone slept in their Sx4 somewhat comfortably?

Still loving this little car.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Yes it's triggered by the ignition.

Unfortunately it's just not long enough to sleep in. Even with the passenger front seat forwarded and tilted there isn't enough room for a person who's over 5' to sleep comfortably. You could in a pinch, but you'd have to sleep curled up.

SnowedIn

Observer
That's what hammocks are for :sombrero: Though if it's cold enough to be dry I just sleep on the ground .

Had mine out again this weekend; I'm really surprised at what sort of fire road ditches it will get over without a hitch. I expected the steep climbs to be a bit dodgy without low range but the car went right up all of them.

Making some phone calls about a roof rack this week; the small gas tank is a bit of a pain.

Edited to add -

tFa2Y4G.jpg

EzCIqvO.jpg

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Yeah on long trips the 40L tank is super annoying. I always keep a spare 10L in my trailer just in case.

If you're going anywhere off the beaten path, jerry cans are almost a must unless you're lucky enough to have a gas station at the trail head.

dcbryan

Observer
Hey, I've got a question on the same vein as jerrysonperez -

I read this thread a while back while thinking about what my next vehicle would be and I was sold! High MPG as a daily driver, 2w/4wd, a quasi-diff lock, and it looks great with a lift (my current setup).

And then I learned that Suzuki doesn't sell cars in the US anymore. Obviously I wasn't paying attention back in 2012. I don't really care about the dealerships being gone, but I am concerned about finding parts, so I've done a little research. I called the two main parts dealers here on the west coast - Auto Zone and O'Reilly. I told them I had an 2011 SX4, and I needed some parts. I asked for water pump, o2 sensor and heater core, thinking these were common parts that may need replacing at some point. Auto Zone had none of the parts in stock and could only source the 02 sensor. O'Reilly's, the same story - They had no idea how much a water pump or heater core would cost and they didn't even have the ability to get the parts. The o2 sensor could be here in a week or so.

WagoneerSX4, would you be willing to share your thoughts on getting parts for these cars? Especially into the future as they become even less popular. Thanks.

mdmead

Adventurer
I picked up an '09 SX4 a few months back and decided I wasn't going to worry about parts availability at this time. My reasoning is there are quite a few of these on the road and the aftermarket will provide the parts requiring servicing and/or become known failure points for quite awhile. This car is/has been sold around the world too, so parts are going to be needed, so Canada, Europe and Asia would also be a source, if a bit less convenient. Right now, Rock Auto would be my go-to source for parts; if they are available, Rock Auto will probably have them. If the SX4 was my only transportation, I might have not been quite so cavalier, although again, with a low-mileage example, it SHOULDN'T need much for several years/many miles.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Checking out Advance Auto's website I found plenty of common replacement parts available, but not necessarily available in store. Nice thing about Advance is you can find mad discount codes and shipping is free on orders over $75. Seriously, if I've not knocking 30% off the price I did something wrong.

plumber mike

Adventurer
The only parts I've needed are fluids and filters........now tires. I will mount winter tires on the steel stockers and hope to have some cash for a set of summer wheels and tires.....and pressure sensors:(

I'm thinking of trying a 205/70-16 Dunlop grandtrek and trimming if things don't work as planned. Not a popular size, but looks perfect on tacoma world tire calculator. Wish we had some gearing options.

Still loving the little car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94