Best and Worst Van Ideas

coronan

I'm planning a camper van build.
My particular interest is winter camping. Everything must be accessible with the doors closed.

I am curious what other experience with some "lessons learned." After all; Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

If you build or bought your camper what are things that that you would do again and what would you change.

Ergonomics?

Below is a list of what i Think are good ideas.
I'm thinking of using the Westy Layout or similar. Want a top opening fridge Probably behind the drivers seat. Creating a corral work area.

Poptops: Wedge or Rectangular?

Where does everyone sit when cooking? Is a removable stool a good idea.

Why is no one using roll top (Tambour Doors)? They would take no space to open.

Are Over head compartments head knockers? What if they were made of soft coolers?

Stock Bench Seat / bed or Custom Folding Frame and foam? I need seat belts.
What about a seat / bed with a cargo net back?

Coolant/ Hot water heat exchanger? 1 gal capacity mixed with cold at the faucet. or Electric Kettle? (most of my cooking begins with boiling water, Why not get a head start.)
Solutions for keeping drinking water from freezing in the winter?

Best removable Table solution? Swinging? Folding?

Coat Rack for wet coats?

Mr Buddy heater? Mounted where? Add Fan?

Hidden / secured cubby for valuables?

Roof Fan Mounter over bed or kitchen???

Sound Insulation?

Reducing Rattles?

Temperature Insulation?

Cargo Net Overhead Storage?

How to make window covers for stealth camping? Where to store them?

Compressed air instead of a water pump?
Foot pump water pump?

Plumb Cold water Spigot to front seat for filling water bottles on the go?

Boot Heater / Drier?

bdog1

Adventurer
Best. Swivel front pass seat. Extra room and seating. (Drivers side used for storage while camping, no swivel.)

Worst. Blocking access to the back doors with cargo rack. Up for a change ASAP.

Good. Under seat safe, not hidden but it's going to take some time to get into it. (It was salvaged from my JK.)

Less is more. But I'm married!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

southpier

Expedition Leader
....Everything must be accessible with the doors closed.

good

...stool a good idea.

always; with locking casters

Why is no one using roll top (Tambour Doors)?

perhaps too finiky to build & keep adjusted?

... Over head compartments head knockers?

usually, and cut down on visual space making a rainy day seem like living in a tunnel

Roof Fan Mounter over bed ...

never

just my thoughts

SoCal Tom

Explorer
For me, having everything built in was a mistake. It's not always winter, so the option to move things outside would be good.
For "stealth" window covers, I'd get the standard windshield sun blockers for the front, and look for the sunshades they sell for kids in the jack seat for the sides. You may have to replace the fabrics for better light blockage, but it will be less obvious. If you don't care about obvous, then wins helix covers like this work great, and provide some insulation.
Here is an example.
http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...t-ford-1992-2006-without-mirror-cut-outs/8831
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

86scotty

Cynic
Reflectix insulation for window covers works awesome and is cheap. Doesn't look bad either but some disagree.

Swivel front passenger seat for sure. Makes all the difference.

Fixed top will be MUCH warmer IMO. I've had an insulated pop top, still not the same.
Also helps for stealth camping if you care.

Get a real furnace. You won't regret it. They are $$$ but safe and work. You won't have any problems leaving it on if you are away from the van for awhile.

Tambour doors are great. I used to have an Airstream, but where would you get it now? Sliding thin panel doors probably just as easy and you can make them yourself on the cheap.

I would strongly recommend a walk-through floor plan, not one that requires you to open the rear doors to get anything.

Oh, a swing away bike rack or no rear rack so that it's easier to get in and out of the rear doors quickly would be my vote too. Or put racks/tires ON the rear doors where they swing with them. I recently build one for a generator and it doesn't add much weight to the 'swing' of the door at all.

Wiley

Adventurer
Reflectix insulation for window covers works awesome and is cheap. Doesn't look bad either but some disagree.

These work great but take up a fair amount of space, if you are planning any long trips make sure you have somewhere to store them, or go with something less bulky like curtains

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Diesel fired heater, just set it and forget it.
Might be noisy but warm, safe and a long term investment.
I have yet to get one... but I use my buddy heater, it's a free standing unit so I move it where needed. It does cause a lot of condensation on the interior glass and be sure to keep at least one window open for fresh air.
I used to have a large wooden foot locker and it was rather good for storage and made a great counter top / work space / entertainment center.
I had a cot for years and it was fantastic, out of the way when needed and super comfortable.
If you do get a roof top fan like a fantastic fan you should never have any leaks unless it's installed poorly. So location shouldn't matter all that much, but I'd keep it furthest from my head when sleeping for noise reasons.
Storage, that can be tricky... it depend how much you need vs want to take with you. But the plastic bins with lids are very versatile. You'll have to figure a way to keep the from sliding around and toppling over.
As for curtains, Walmart has blackout curtains that block all light and a wind. I have used them in large pieces and hung them across the side and rear door a with magnets glued to the curtains. If you can sew then it would be better because the glue only last so long.

If you plan on carrying anything large say a motorcycle, planning takes some effort.

Last edited:

redneck44

Adventurer
For me stealth was a factor, so a commercial van i.e. no windows, sunroof or skylights are O.K though.

Walk through, but I had a blackout curtain behind the front seats, hides your gear and when parked up it doesn't look like a camper with window shades etc.

I didn't bother with a heater but I had good camp gear. I can put up without a lot of home comforts, however a comfortable bed is essential for long term camping.
Wouldn't bother with a pop top in a van, just how much time do you spend standing indoors anyway.

Fold down table/s on the door/s you can use them inside or outside, if the weather isn't so great just open the door a little and do your cooking on the table top stove, helps prevent steaming up your interior.

Water in jerry cans, get one with a tap on it to use for running water, KISS, no pumps, electrics, plumbing easy to fill.

For built in storage I had open shelves with fiddle rails and a shockcord retainer mid way up, no doors and lighter.

For bulk storage I use plastic crates, modular, easy to fill in the house and load/unload when required.

southpier

Expedition Leader
anyone ever put pneumatic pistons on their side or rear doors?

combined with a light roof over them, I think would expand useable space without the cost and display of an awning.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Worst, letting the days slip by without using it because you want it to do this or look like that, get in the beast and camp, ideas will start to congeal and a plan will take shape. Then use it again, I see a lot of it in the sailing community, people buy boats and don't actually use them because they are so busy trying to make them pretty. I too am a big fan of KISS though some of my outlandish posts might suggest otherwise (I just am curious by nature) Above all else have fun and keep a good sense of humor you'll need it.

dar395

Adventurer
CB

After once needed medical help for a broken leg on the wife. no cell tower but 3 CB radio's in contact range, a CB. Another is a baseball bat, light weight and highly useful. AC/DC and Stone tunes along with a long draw of Hank Sr. Bottle of great wine some cheese. Spare battery power down on the frame rails, Land hook and winch if I'm going out a long ways. never ending isn't?

space

I don't own a van yet, but with the help of current van dwellers I'm thoroughly planning a build before I start. Here are a few tips I've gotten:

Don't use your side barn doors. Utilize the space for something other than an entrance, but allow the doors to still open for a nice view or passing things in/out.

Use your rear doors as a secondary entrance. (primary being driver/pass door)

Create a walk through design with a wide living area at one end. (ex. just behind the front seats delete drawers or counters for open space)

If living/traveling alone, remove the passenger seat and create more countertop/desk space. The dinette or couch-bed will act as your other seating in case of company.

Rear windows but no side windows. Use blackout curtains for the drivers area and any other windows use velcro blackout curtains, similar to the way FWC windows are setup.

It depends on who you're trying to fool, but most people wont see a lowered pop top or fixed top and think camper. Although, most have advised me to go with no pop top or fixed top- you wont be standing for long periods of time so what's the point? You don't necessarily save space with an upper bed because you will still need 'downstairs' seating that doubles as a bed.

Interior water tanks that are located above the rear axle, easy to fill and empty from rear door, distributes weight well, and insulated.

No overhead cabinetry. Head knockers and it makes you feel closed in. Especially if wood, you are adding a lot of bad top weight when not used all the time. Fix hooks where you want cabinets and put stretch netting up there, use as little or much storage space as you need when you want it but its non intruding when empty.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
Although, most have advised me to go with no pop top or fixed top- you wont be standing for long periods of time so what's the point?

While I agree with everything else you had to say.
This is a very user dependent viewpoint.
If your number one goal is ultimate stealth camping then yes.
For me the ability to stand up while putting on a wetsuit or popping the top on a hot day to get some extra breeze through is worth the "camper" badge that a pop top would provide.

Leipo

the most important for me is a fixed bed: I really hate having to make a bed each evening so now I leave the bed made all day long (blocking some cabinets which in turn drives me crazy!)

but the fixed bed will have to wait for version 2 of my interior...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier