OBD II reader. Best bang for the buck?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I've got some expensive Snap-on and Craftsman stuff in my garage, but I've also got a floor jack and $2.00 multi-meter from harbor frieght that I'm just as proud of, that get used just as often.

Reason being? They all work amazingly well for their intended purposes.

In short, I'm not opposed to spending some coin, but I also don't want to waste money.

I'd like something that can talk to my 2001 trooper, my wife's 2007 Ford edge, and if possible a 2010 FJcruiser and 2004 Toyota matrix...

Are all those covered under the umbrella title of "OBDII" code reader?

Thanks in advance.

Simons

Adventurer
Yep, you'll be able to pull engine codes from all of those vehicles with an OBDII code reader.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Best bang for your buck? The Torque app for Android and iOS is $5 and you can find the bluetooth OBDII plugin for under $15 on Amazon. It will read codes and more. If you don't like it, you're only out $20.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

REeeeally!? Ok, that's fuggin' awesome. I never would have guessed.

I have an Iphone 4s. Have you played with the app for the iPhone?

EDIT: I only see an app for the Android phones...Hmmm.

Last edited:

HOOLIGAN

The 4x4 Podcast
torque for android - yes.

i do not believe for iOS.

joel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You are correct. It's only available for android. One more reason not to buy iOS. 😉

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the solidarity, Joel. :D

Ok all, my blatent Apple Fanboy-ism aside...

How about those OBDII readers?!

Thanks!

LR Max

Local Oaf
A friend of mine went with a bluetooth OBD 2 reader as well. Works great but it really doesn't stay in the socket. So driving with it isn't really gonna work.

He has Android as well so no help there. That said I just search the apple store and there are about 10 OBD 2 scanner apps. I think you have options.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Are you just looking for a code reader/resetter or do you want something to permanently mount in the vehicle? I've got an Ultra-Gauge in my DD mazda pickup and a Scangauge II in my 4runner, both of them work very well for seeing and resetting codes, but if you are looking for something you can switch between vehicles, they wouldn't work that well.

OTOH, I'm something of an "information geek" so I like the fact that I can monitor engine and transmission temps, real time MPG and DTE - Distance to Empty - using these devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94