Rear arb bumper with tire carrier?

Mo4130

Adventurer
Do you think it could be done by ARB? They have the resources to do it. I know their rear bumpers are pretty hideous but one can't neglect the fact that they are functional.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
ARB already makes tire carriers for certain models. I think their take on the 100 Series LC tire carrier is one of the best looking swing away bumpers ever designed. So yes, they can do it. No question. Would they? I'm not sure. You can always call them up and chat to them about it. The folks at ARB have proven time and again to be some of the most awesome people in the 4x4 scene. Their customer service is legendary. So I would give them a ring and see what comes of it. Would they do a one off custom job? Possibly. It wouldn't surprise me if they did. But there is also the possibility that they would need a demand for it to build it. Best thing to do is call them up.

Making one or having one made wouldn't be all that difficult. I've got all the steel gathered for mine. Probably will do something with it all in a week or so.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
If they make one for your vehicle chances are they would need a minimum number of orders. Many of the companies like Slee, Calmini, IRONMAN and others want a minimum number of orders so they can turn a profit. However, as wreckdiver stated, ARB is known to have incredible customer service so you might as well go for it. You may want to swing by a frontier specific forum and see if others would be willing to do a group buy (this will help your chances of having ARB USA go for it). Best of luck.

b00ster

Observer
Not sure what model you're talking about but I have a 2011 Xterra and have a "Maxterra" rear bumper with tire carrier. Shipped to my door about $800. I was really happy with the quality and the communication I received from Dave. It's not a company, just a guy in his garage but, when I bought my bumper, I got similar quality to a shrock/calmini (i'll leave debating the merits of each for another time) and the wait time was a lot shorter. Not a knock on other people's products, just and endorsement of the one I bought. I'm not sure if he's still making the bumpers or not but he can be found on http://thenewx.org. Username maxterra. Also, there is another similar "one guy shop" on the same site as user bucksnort. His work looks nice but I have no experience with him personally.

Just a couple of extra options to look at while you're shopping. :)

b00ster

Observer
Pics, or it didn't happen:

IMG_0187_zpsa2f51815.jpg

Mo4130

Adventurer
I have looked at the TAG, but until they get better customer service, I will hold off. The only reason I was thinking ARB, because by and large they are the only company that gets it, I ordered my bumper via Amazon, and got it in a week with free shipping. Having to wait 12-16 weeks for a bumper is beyond absurd. You are going to tell me a company that makes bumpers for a living doesn't have 1-2 fully built bumpers ready to ship??? Completely unacceptable.

colodak

Adventurer
from exp. with TAG and Dodge Dakota/Durango, I would skip. Horrible customer service, massively long waits, orders shipped without notice, very rude.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have looked at the TAG, but until they get better customer service, I will hold off. The only reason I was thinking ARB, because by and large they are the only company that gets it, I ordered my bumper via Amazon, and got it in a week with free shipping. Having to wait 12-16 weeks for a bumper is beyond absurd. You are going to tell me a company that makes bumpers for a living doesn't have 1-2 fully built bumpers ready to ship??? Completely unacceptable.

12-16 week wait means that they don't need your business, and if you want their skill you will just have to wait your turn.

If a fabricator has steel, he can make it into anything he wants. Once he has made it into something he has money in materials and his time into something that he may or may not sell anytime soon. Good fabricators have enough business (hence the 12-16 week waiting time) that they aren't wasting their time making stuff that might sell at some point in the future.

Believe me, if you can find a great custom fabricator that does quality work and builds you exactly what you want, the wait is not an issue.

colodak

Adventurer
12-16 week wait means that they don't need your business, and if you want their skill you will just have to wait your turn.

If a fabricator has steel, he can make it into anything he wants. Once he has made it into something he has money in materials and his time into something that he may or may not sell anytime soon. Good fabricators have enough business (hence the 12-16 week waiting time) that they aren't wasting their time making stuff that might sell at some point in the future.

Believe me, if you can find a great custom fabricator that does quality work and builds you exactly what you want, the wait is not an issue.

some times I would agree with you, but with this company, it goes much deeper than that.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
some times I would agree with you, but with this company, it goes much deeper than that.

Fair enough, I have no knowledge of that specific company - just thinking about the fabricators I have used and hope to continue to use. I'm perfectly prepared to work with their schedule to get exactly what I want.

Mo4130

Adventurer
They aren't doing one off custom jobs they are making on of three bumpers they already have jigs for. I'm sorry unacceptable.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Kaymar makes a rear bumper for the Navara with the spindles and everything. You'd have to make the swing outs. Problem is there are frame differences between ROTW Navaras and US spec Frontiers, so I'm sure it'd have to be modified. At that point, I'd just as soon have one custom built.

And stay away from TAG. Formerly known as KMA. They have shoddy workmanship and terrible wait times.

Here's what I'd do. Find a design you like, then look around for someone who is willing to make a bumper for you (of sufficient quality). You can do anything you want with aesthetics. Make it whatever shape or design you want. With a swing out bumper, the most important things to consider are the hinges you're using and the latches.

Hinges:
If they suggest using trailer spindles, move on. I think hinge setups like these are the best options:
http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-Hinge-Kit-with-Double-Shear-Bracket-STANDARD.html If you're concerned about this one, use the HD.
http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-Hinge-Kit-Dual-Shear-Face-Mount.html This is what I'm using for my swing outs.
I like dual shear. Minimizes the odds that a hinge will snap off. Much more stable and durable design. Look at the the swing out on a newer Hummer. It's dual shear, and they are solid. Shrockworks always use a dual shear design of some sort.

Latches:
http://www.amazon.com/DE-STA-CO-341-R-Action-Threaded-U-Bolt/dp/B0006NC6AI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390684680&sr=8-1&keywords=de+sta+co+341-r I like these. That's what I'm going with.
There are numerous options here. I like to have at least one locking mechanism. Maybe two. A sure fire way is a bolt with a T handle. You can also get latches like that with holes for a pin or a lock, you can get spring latches, etc, etc. The most important thing is to completely immobilize the swing arms. That will minimize the wear at the hinges. Also, you should mount some sort of rubber isolator on the arms that will ride between the arm and the bumper. This will help isolate vibrations and provide tension to keep the whole thing solid and secure. If you use the style latch I'm going for, the latch should be mounted at some angle, not just straight, so that it actually sucks the swing arm towards the bumper when you latch it. Again, this keeps the arm as secure as possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier