Into The Wild FJ Build

steve c

Adventurer
I recently passed my technician ham test and installed a Yaesu FTM-400DR dual band radio, Diamond 770HAB antenna and Comet RS-730 trunk lid mount and cable.

The radio's remote control head is mounted to the main Ram telepole with a Ram arm and X-Grip.

48F42A59-84BE-4DA9-BC5E-50EBBACACB22_zpsf0lrsxjl.jpg

Hey Dennis. Great seeing you again on Wednesday.

I was really impressed by your nav/comms set up using the Ram Mount. I have spent some time on the Ram website and it seems like if you're not familiar with how they label and name things, it's worth finding someone who knows what they're doing. So, you're that person who knows what they're doing.

I found the rigid seat mount for my truck, I found the riser pole, but what I'm stuck on is what you use to connect the tablet mount to the riser pole. Also, how are you connecting the x grip holder for the Yaesu?

Some photos from the passengers side looking at the back of everything would be super helpful.

Thanks!

Dennx

Adventurer
Hey Dennis. Great seeing you again on Wednesday.

I was really impressed by your nav/comms set up using the Ram Mount. I have spent some time on the Ram website and it seems like if you're not familiar with how they label and name things, it's worth finding someone who knows what they're doing. So, you're that person who knows what they're doing.

I found the rigid seat mount for my truck, I found the riser pole, but what I'm stuck on is what you use to connect the tablet mount to the riser pole. Also, how are you connecting the x grip holder for the Yaesu?

Some photos from the passengers side looking at the back of everything would be super helpful.

Thanks!

I stopped using the X-grip mount because the metal may have been interfering with the GPS antenna on the back of the Yaesu control head. So I just used a RAM 1" ball mount (diamond mounting plate) and used industrial double-stick tape and mounted it to the Yaesu provided mount (pictured).

5B3DAFC0-3426-4028-8C0D-90633DA9F45B_zps2cwxvhds.jpg

18E51824-EB50-41CB-9C6C-A339FDEA2A6E_zpslwbfsv1f.jpg

4F8123DE-42EB-4B15-B14F-DA99DCFB83C8_zps8bdem9re.jpg

I used this tele-pole with the mounting flange.

Parts list:

RAM Mount Tele-Pole 12 inch Long Male Flange Tube

RAM Mount Tele-Pole 9 inch Long Female Base

RAM Mount Double Swing Arm with Plate RAM-VB-110-1U
This comes with the round 1" ball mounting plate I used to attach the X-grip iPad mount. You can see I only used the forward section of the swing arm. I couldn't find just the one section with a 1" ball socket.

RAM Mount Round Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-202U
Attaches to the tele-pole flange.

RAM Mount Long Arm B-Socket RAM-B-201U-C
Attaches to the tell-pole flange via the round mount plate.

RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball RAM-B-238U
Attaches to the Yaesu provided mount via double-stick tape.

RAM Mount Universal X-Grip III iPad Tablet Cradle RAM-HOL-UN9U
Mounts the iPad or similar tablet.

Last edited:

steve c

Adventurer
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I was not expecting that at all!

I definitely owe you a beer at the next meet'n'greet or at Mountain Rendezvous.

Thanks again.

Dennx

Adventurer
Nige rig. Why did you go with a FJ?

I have always liked the design and rugged looks (when fully outfitted) since seeing one back in 2006. I bought my 2010 used in 2012. I also wanted a capable and reliable vehicle for adventuring. Other vehicles I had considered were the Xterra and 4 door Wrangler.

xkid

Adventurer
Cool. Have a 03 xterra as my 1st adventure rig, just got a 13 jkur late last year. Same reasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior