Inside Shower in a TC without an inside shower???

Clutch

<---Pass
I need more of a full-time set-up, not just for camping. Nobody wants to see me in a speedo!

Hey you never know, there are some people out there with some weird fetishes. :D

I am telling ya, the Outback Privy has decent amount of room in it, I change in there...just have to unzip the door slightly to access my clothes, there is
also a cord on the outside to hang a towel.

Has little pockets on the lower portion, where you can toss rocks or weights to keep it ancored, can stake it down too. I haven't had it blow away yet.

outback-porta-privy-camping-shower-toilet-enclosure.jpg

It packs quite small too.

outback_porta_privy1.jpg

Rbertalotto

Explorer
I don't get this whole shower thing in the camper. Seems like a lot of work and clean-up. If I'm in a established campground and there's showers all the better. If out boondocking I simply fire up my Coleman hot water shower and go buff outside. Nothing more invigorating than a hot shower under the stars. If somewhere there are other campers, slap on the speedo swimwear and go at it. Speedo swimwear dries super fast and takes up no room. Works for me.

My camper has a great outdoor shower. And if I'm on a situation where I'm away from other campers, the weather is fine, it isn't blowing a gale.....I use it.

But my camper is more a means to an end. I use it to attend auto and motorcycle race events, cowboy action shooting matches and stealth camping while traveling to and from. In all these situations an inside shower is called for.

At sporting event and action shooting matches, they park you cheek to jowl. My outdoor shower is someone else BBQ area. Last thing they want to see while eating dinner is my sorry *** in a Speedo!

Stealth camping in a parking lot or at a rest area while traveling, is not the place to deploy an out side shower.

Thanks for all the great tips. Can't wait for spring to try them out!

MINO

Adventurer
I have an indoor shower on my Phoenix pop-up. I had it custom built into the floor. It's a shallow pan that drains to the outside. Depending where we are, I'll either connect it to a hose that leads to a tree or to an external tank. Originally, it came with a cover for the pan, but it became a hassle to remove the cover and shower. I've since made a wood shower mat that allows the water to drain. The curtain is hooked around the frame of the "escape hatch" for ventilation (no condensation issues).

A few issues with my set-up:
curtain is custom made and bulky. Takes more space than we'd like.
Dirt and debris get's into the pan - more-so now with the shower mat. Just need to clean up before showers or it will clog.
Curtain and shower head are too close to our wave3 heater. So if we're in a colder area, we need to turn off and cover it before showering.

Other than that, we're pretty happy with it and glad we didn't go with a wet-bath. We were used to doing solar showers in a larger rubbermade bin anyway.

YM5A3856-Edit.jpg

86tuning

Adventurer
The guys with boats use the bathroom as the shower stall. But it's one of those things that you'd do when designing the campwr

Kowboy

Adventurer
I talked at length with the owners tryin' to cypher out a design for an interior shower in my Hallmark Milner. The options became too much of a dominant feature for the design. We gave up and and installed the standard outside unit.

I've since learned that if I can't stand buck nekkid next to my camper and take a shower then I ain't gone far enuf away from civilization.

To each his own. :ylsmoke:

mudmony

Observer
I have learned to love my outdoor shower, 20f in Death Valley, 37f in Anza Borrego, 35f in the sierras, but last weekend in San Luis Obispo proved to be a problem with people, plus the wife cant get into outside showers, like seeing the different ideas, I need to modify or make a different purchase.

mkish

Adventurer
I tried to come up with a good inside shower option and ended up with a tent. (A big one, so an adult can wash kids in it, or so it can hold the potty as well as shower.) I couldn't find a place for the shower pan. If you have a seat with a removable top, and can dedicate all that space to a shower, the tent trailer people have it mastered. http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=76292.0

But I didn't have room. I figure we can sponge inside pretty well and wash our hair outside while dressed. Also nobody but me wanted to use my shower tent! But yeah, I'd love an indoor shower.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I've since learned that if I can't stand buck nekkid next to my camper and take a shower then I ain't gone far enuf away from civilization.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. :)

I use my camper for stealth camping and going to events also, so I can see the need to occasionally shower inside. I'm still chicken to try it for fear of the big mess I'd likely create, but there are some good ideas here!

Last edited:

MINO

Adventurer

It's never far enough and never warm enough if you bring your lady.

I still poke fun at the wife when she uses the PET & Wag-Bag when we're in the boonies.
I start counting off, "that's 2 dollars you just pee'd in... now $6... you just threw $10 away!"

Scoutman

Explorer
I'm like a lot of others here in that I'd rather do it outside to keep the wet mess out of my living space but I can see the need for stealth and expo events. I would say that if you only do this once in a while I would go with the rubbermaid container and store all the shower accessories in the bin. That way if you don't expect to need it on that trip you can leave it at home. If you do then just toss it in.

What about using the 24" round shallow pan like someone mentioned and then attaching one of those nylon collapsible kids tunnels? Maybe have a couple of hooks on the ceiling to hold it vertical and shower inside that. It would pack down very nicely if the tunnel was the same size as the shower pan ~24". Also it has no overlap seams to let water escape. Put a hose fitting on the pan and run the drain hose out the truck bed access doors and into a catch basin if needed. Then all you'd need is a long kitchen sprayer hose on your sink to shower with.

Freebird

Adventurer
There are walled (approx 8 inches) mortar mixing tough plastic pans (black) at construction supply stores. A couple sizes are available.
Big and tough enough to stand in and high enough walls to contain most of the splash of the shower water if the shower curtain goes to the bottom. Also light weight to drag along. Can be packed with gear for travel. The pan I bought holds approx 12 gallons, a little smaller size is available in our area also (PNW).
A drain could be added to it, but I plan on a siphon to empty it after I am through. A squeeze "bulb" to start the draining siphon will ease the start of the siphon action.
I have bought all the parts, but I haven't had time to set it up yet, but its potential is good....:)

More added info: I have bought and cut PVC pipe with 45 angle connectors for a 8 sided "hula hoop" to hold the plastic shower curtain. The hula hoop will be held on the ceiling with spot attachment industrial strength Velcro for easy set up/take down.

Last edited:

mkish

Adventurer
The kid tubes are pretty small (I'm eyeing some on my floor right now) but might come in bigger sizes.

I use a mortar tub for my outside shower and just carefully carry it away for disposal. I would not want to try moving it partially full inside the camper though so I like the siphon idea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94