Inside Shower in a TC without an inside shower???

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Has anyone simply set up some type of shower curtain right in the middle of your TC and some kind of base to stand in and drain to the outside?

I'm thinking one of the bases you install under a hot water heater in your house.

Drip-pan-2-200.jpg

I'm think to attach the bottom of the shower curtain directly to this base, hang the top from hooks and a hose from the sink.

When done, fold the curtain into the base and take outside to dry.

I like my camper but I'd really like an inside shower. I usually camp alone so modesty would not be an issue.

What say you?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Do you need a real shower? How about a larger tub that you just stand in and do the sponge bath/shower thing? I often find that I just use a wash rag or sponge in the TC.

cwsqbm

Explorer
A square base would give more room for your feet. Also, you're not going to use much water in a quick shower so the drain isn't important if the tub is deep enough (and adding a drain to any tub would be easy). Sportsmobile sells a shower like that for its vans that don't have built-in bathrooms. The shower hose gets its water from the kitchen sink.

toyhauler14.jpg

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am looking to do the same thing. I would rather shower inside, outside showers are subject to the weather conditions and are not private at all. My dilemma is where the water goes. I don't want to just drain it on the ground, I've read where you can be cited for that. For some reason shower pans are priced as if they are made of gold and many don't last very long in a flexing RV. My idea was to build a wet bath similar to the cassette toilet and shower units they put in pop-up trailers. I would build it so when not in use it would be covered by the couch seating. This topic seems to be covered to death on forums all over the internet without any option other than a custom build. Thetford makes cassette toilets and shower units for manufacturers but they are completely clueless to the US retail market.

Clutch

<---Pass
Problem with a shower inside the camper (that is if it doesn't have its own room), is that everything gets wet, even with a curtain. That is if you like hot showers.

Outside in a privy is a great option. Port-a-privy backs really small.

I just use my rubber truck floor mats to stand on, and an eco-friendly biodegradable soap. Since I already have floor mats no extra gear to pack.

I prefer the shower and more importantly the toilet outside, but that is me.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Problem with a shower inside the camper (that is if it doesn't have its own room), is that everything gets wet, even with a curtain. That is if you like hot showers.

Outside in a privy is a great option. Port-a-privy backs really small.

I just use my rubber truck floor mats to stand on, and an eco-friendly biodegradable soap. Since I already have floor mats no extra gear to pack.

I prefer the shower and more importantly the toilet outside, but that is me.

What do you do in high winds, rain or when surrounded by people?

Clutch

<---Pass
What do you do in high winds, rain or when surrounded by people?

Put the shelter down wind of the truck...can always skip a shower or two if the weather is super bad, isn't that a big of deal...it is camping doncha know.

Rain...well, showers are wet, usually. :p

Lots of people? No different than a port-a-pottie on the street in a public place. Though the whole point of having a 4WD camper
is to get away from people, at least for me it is.

Generally leave a towel and change of clothes on a chair outside the shelter...there is a enough room to towel off
and change inside of it.

I dunno, tried a shower inside the camper...didn't like how it steamed up the whole thing, and the toilet...well, I don't
have a toilet next to my bed or in kitchen at my house, not going to do that in my camper. Kinda gross actually. Why
smell up such a small place where you are sleeping and cooking?

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Northern Explorer has a pretty sweet setup for his camper using a big plastic tub, a shower curtain and a 12v pump... Check it out part way down page 4 of his new camper thread...
Looks like he got the idea over on WTW, and he has a link to that site too... I thought about doing this too, but it turns out using the 12v shower outside with some nice hot water has been working fine for me, and keeps the water outside where it can't be a problem even if I'm clumsy. :)

(Thanks cwsqbm for telling me to link the post, not the page!! I didn't even know I could do that!!)

Last edited:

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I don't get this whole shower thing in the camper. Seems like a lot of work and clean-up. If I'm in a established campground and there's showers all the better. If out boondocking I simply fire up my Coleman hot water shower and go buff outside. Nothing more invigorating than a hot shower under the stars. If somewhere there are other campers, slap on the speedo swimwear and go at it. Speedo swimwear dries super fast and takes up no room. Works for me.

ARtrailslayer

I used a small mop sink without the legs on it a few times. It was in an temporary bathroom. Used a hulla hoop strung to the ceiling for a shower curtain rod and regular shower curtain. It worked pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles