Back button autofocus, a better way to focus.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Trevor,

Thanks. My son in law is a huge advocate of using the back button. I guess I will have to give it a try since all of the cool kids are doing it. :cool:

N.B. The video is a very well done explanation of why this works better. Thanks for that.

Last edited:

photoman

Explorer
I played with this a little bit on my last trip and shoot with mixed success. I see the advantages but it will take a little getting use to.

4xdog

Explorer
I'll give it a try, Trevor. There are definitely some situations where this could be useful.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Thanks for sharing, I'll have to experiment with this. As a total DSLR newbie I'm open to any/all tips/tricks.

anotherguy

Observer
Back Button 4 Life! It definitely took a little time to adjust, bit once I did my keeper rate for wildlife increased substantially.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I've used back button focus since 2001.

The only complication I have is when I ask someone to take a picture of me with my camera I have to remember to change to half-button focus for them.

ywen

Explorer
con of using backbutton is if you do forget to focus prior to everyshot, there is a chance your pic will be out of focus.. say you take a bunch of pics in sequence, if the initial focus lock was poor, all pics in that sequence will be out of focus. If you tie the focus to the half-press of the shutter, you allow the camera to attempt to acquire focus prior to every shot. I went back to the traditional half-press after realizing this deficiency.

ironic that article on the canon site as canon dslr is notorious for poor focus.. all of my canon bodies randomly does front & back focusing in ways you can't predict. Shooting at sub f/1.8 you also can not tell via OVF whether focus is off. The only way to reduce occurance of oof images is to attempt to acquire focus before each shot...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior