FJ40 Revival Design Project

FeroTobak

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the community here, and have been following for a while, glad to join!

I am a car design student in Los Angeles, CA, and for my final project I am working on creating a serious offroader, inspired by the original FJ40 Land Cruiser. I think there is a sincere lack of affordable, barebones SUVs on the market today that are designed for serious wheeling and easy modification by the enthusiasts that own them. The project is very future focused, but I want it to reflect what people are actually looking for.

I have put together a quick 10 question survey, and would appreciate your time to fill it out. I will use the info from this survey to better understand what the offroading community is looking for in a 4x4, and how people are using their vehicles in the real world.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VC8RWGV

Thanks for your time!

Fero

Gregster

Observer
...I think there is a sincere lack of affordable, barebones SUVs on the market today that are designed for serious wheeling and easy modification by the enthusiasts that own them. The project is very future focused, but I want it to reflect what people are actually looking for...

Great idea, but what the majority of buyers want may not be what you had in mind. Keep an open mind, it will be an interesting excercize for sure.

Wildcat

Adventurer
This may be a hoax/spam. I went thru all the way to the submit button and it asked nothing about design. i did not click submit so im not sure what was on the other side.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
The questions were valid enough. Especially if you're trying to define a package (size/shape) or designing to a specific use scenario. I feel like there could have been more depth but surveymonkey is pretty limited when you want a free survey. :) You may have been expecting to answer questions like: What do you prefer...Solid front axle or IFS? Or Would you like a locking front differential? Would you want a removable hard top or is a soft top okay?

FeroTobak

Thanks for the great feedback so far! I'm thinking of this SUV as a platform for customisation, Gregster, so that people can modify it to serve the purposes they use it for. i grew up in rural Northern California, and the predominant offroader up there is the 80's-90's 4-Runner/Tacoma/Prerunner. From what I understand, these trucks are choice due to their reliability, capability, and how easy it is to work on them. Todays trucks are so electrified that it makes it difficult for the backyard enthusiast to work on it his/herself!

I'm sorry if it all looks a bit generic at this point Wildcat - I'm currently in the initial research phase and building my argument for what considerations I need to take into account with this vehicle. In a couple weeks I will begin the design phase, and will post sketches as it progresses!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I wont be able to do the survey but I will tell you I wish all 4x4's had the t-case shifter on the floor. Im tired of the electric buttons that fail.

robert

Expedition Leader
Great idea but prepare to get raped by the DOT; with all of the safety requirements on vehicles these days I don't think there is such a thing as an affordable, user serviceable vehicle. Besides that, your market for such a vehicle is very limited. You could look to the Russian and Chinese 4x4s though for some ideas*. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see such a beast, but I just don't see it being anywhere near economically viable. Just look at what's become of the Jeep for an example.

*The Chinese BJ202 is an example; it's based off the Russian UAZ but with somewhat upgraded parts including a gasoline engine based off the Toyota 22R. It's a fun vehicle to drive around but definitely not as safe as newer vehicles.

Wainiha

Explorer
Are you a spammer? Are you for real?

If you are serious do A LOT of research first. Figure out the intended use. Don't lie to yourself. You're probably not racing KOH/Baja 1000 or driving thru Mongolia).

I bought many products and most were a waste. READ THE FORUMS. I was unaware of them and spent money in the wrong places. Decide your needs and come back here with your questions.

FeroTobak

I also posted this same message to the other Toyota forum for a wider range of responses, and didnt think it would be considered spam! Hope it didnt confuse too many people..

Yes penangtoy I'm in my final term at Art Center! Its been a long ride and this project will be a fun way to conclude that chapter of my life before I go into the real world !

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
This is a student project. The best way to get a lot of specific info is to hit up all the forums. It could be considered spamming but how else should he go about this? Students don't have a team of design researchers or 50 years of data at their fingertips. Nor the time to sort through it all. I've been right where he is. You need a lot of information in a very short amount of time. 1-3 quarters in most cases...for this project. Doesn't take into account the other 2-4 classes their taking at the same time. Just throwing this info out there for everyone. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's not asking any personal or damaging info in the survey. Besides, forums are about learning and dialog...take this opportunity to learn and dialog. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Art center is no joke! Good luck out in the real world. I'm an industrial designer (products) and absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loubaru

Adventurer
I ended up taking a industrial design class as part of my major. It was the hardest I've ever worked for a B. Guess that's what I get for being a terrible artist, lol. Good luck, this sounds like an insanely difficult project.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne