Campervan or 4X4 for 1-2 months New Zealand

4whtundra

Adventurer
I need some advise from my mates down under. I'm now traveling in WA and will soon be heading east, stopping in Adelaide/KI for a week or so and then heading to New Zealand for 1-2 months. My idea is to buy a vehicle to travel in there but not sure what the best path is to take. I'll be living primarily out of the vehicle so it needs to be somewhat self contained. My question is, do I go with a more comfortable campervan, a 4x4 like a surf or a combination 4x4 van type. Will I be bummed if I don't have 4x4 or are most of the areas doable with just 2wd? My ideal vehicle would be a troopie which I plan to buy when I get back to Australia once I can figure out a job and where I will stay for a while but I don't want to drop a lot of money on one for just a month or so worth of traveling. Any input is greatly appreciated!!

grimbo

Explorer
I've done a couple of trips to NZ, both times have been for a couple of weeks and each time has been a motor home. Heaps to see and luckily enough short distances between. I've never wished I had a 4 x4 to see anything extra. Yes there is some awesome 4wheeling but it is deep mud, steep hills winching type of wheeling. The only place that a 4wd would have been handy was on the northern beaches of the north island but you can just hire one there or jump on a tour group.

4whtundra

Adventurer
Awesome grimbo! Thanks for the info. Do you have a rig in Melbourne that you wheel in/camp in? If so what's your setup and where's some good places to go around you?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
campervan or RV. very good access to places you'll want to see on foot...

I think a campervan would be great due to the changing weather patterns there. we were there in November and it was very on/off rainy the whole time we were there.

I never once wished we had a 4x4. I would have loved to have been able to spend time overnight in some of the remote beach locations we ended up in, though.

New Zealand is one of the few places, that if given the chance, I'd love to live in/work in, if possible. I'd love to at least spend a few more weeks/months there in the future. :)

grimbo

Explorer
Awesome grimbo! Thanks for the info. Do you have a rig in Melbourne that you wheel in/camp in? If so what's your setup and where's some good places to go around you?

I have a Nissan Patrol GU and tow a camper trailer.

Close around us there are plenty of day trip options in the local hills. Three hours away gets you into the High Country where you could spend weeks exploring the tracks. Lots of River crossings, steep climbs etc can get a bit hairy if it rains.

Six hours to the north west you have access to some small deserts.

Also all along the Murray River is great camping

Out east there is some great spots along the coast, Wilson's Prom, Cape Conram, Croajingalong NP

And finally along the west coast from Melbourne is the Great Ocean Rd and Otway forests

4whtundra

Adventurer
Grimbo,
Sounds like a nice setup and thanks for the ideas for when I get back to the mainland, if I decide to stay around your area maybe we can get a small weekend trip together in your area.

Bigdaddy,
Thanks for the recommendation, it's nice to hear that two guys agree on the campervan deal. I was heading more in that direction anyway, but it's hard to make a decision based on no real world experience there. A week ago I've registered for my tax number here in Australia so by the time I get to NZ I should be ready to work, you never know I may find a gig there and stay longer than expected!

Chainslap

I came down to NZ in December from Arizona and bought a 4x4 1994 Mitsubishi Delica that I will be selling in a month or so. It's not self contained technically, and is a basic setup, but works well for me. It does have a water tank up top so you can take showers and it was originally setup to have a marine shower for hot water.

I'm currently in the middle of putting a new cylinder head on it (cracked) along with new radiator and all that related goodies. If you're interested in something like that give me a holler. I can give you some more details. Or if you're down here and just want to grab a beer!

NZ is a great country, you'll dig it...

Here's a few pics:

Billhilly

Adventurer
New Zealand's equivalent to Gumtree (Ebay) is TradeMe - http://www.trademe.co.nz/. Not sure of your budget or time frame, but there are a few options - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/caravans-motorhomes/motorhomes/up-to-5-metres/auction-672531222.htm.
One thing to be aware of over here is there is lots of rules. LOTS of rules, regarding camping. Because people have continually abused the place, you now need a camper with a 'self containment sticker' to stay alot of places over night. It's all official and stuff. So if you are buying, just keep that in mind, because it will limit your options.
Let me know if you need any specific information.

Ive lived in NZ 1999-2003, had a 4wd and sold it in a few months and bought a hiace 2wd van. NZ is all locked up, fenced, no trespass, permit only, rules etc. all places you can lawfully drive are fine in a 2wd with a bit of clearance - including 90 mile beach. And considering how windy it is it is so much nicer to sleep in a vehicle than in a tent. Bought a 4wd again since moving to Aussie :))))

Last edited:

isuzu4x4

We Live close to Auckland Airport

If any of you need a place to park up, we are close to the Auckland airport. there is a large carpark behind our warehouse and there is always at least two campers parked there. A 2wd with good ground clearance will get you most places, there are plenty of vans set up as campers but try to get one that is self contained, then you will be able to freedom camp. Mark

Billhilly

Adventurer
Self Containment certificate

Never stopped to look before but the rules aren't too harsh really. Toilet, fresh water, sink, and grey water, and you are good to go! Well, a couple of plumbing details, and fee's to pay, but I figured it would be worse. Just had another Swiss couple through here (third now). They brought their vehicle (Nissan Patrol) over to do seven months in NZ and Oz. They have a toilet but no sink so came up short. If you got a vehicle (van?) for the right price it could be done, and would add to the resale for sure. Oh, some detail here - http://www.nzmca.org.nz/self-containment/ And when I said in the previous post how I wasn't sure how long you were coming over for....that was cause I couldn't see the big printing at the top of the thread that says 1-2 months!! Doh.

Last edited:

4whtundra

Adventurer
Chainslap,
Looks like a nice setup, do you have any issues with not being self contained? Where are you located now? Id love to grab a beer, I'll be flying to auckland on the 7th, this Friday then got to figure something out from there. How much longer until you leave?

Billhilly,
I was unaware of all the rules, seems like there is a ton of non self contained campers around, how do they get away with it? Is there a website explaining the rules? I would like to know more about it.

Chainslap

Chainslap,
Looks like a nice setup, do you have any issues with not being self contained? Where are you located now? Id love to grab a beer, I'll be flying to auckland on the 7th, this Friday then got to figure something out from there. How much longer until you leave?

Nope, I haven't had a problem not being self contained. There are plenty of public restrooms about and most the DoC sites at least have a toilet. I'm currently in Christchurch, but thinking about heading up the north island soon and stopping off in Wellington and Rotorua. I'll be here for another month or so.

Billhilly

Adventurer
Chainslap is living it so is able to comment more than me probably. Just show respect I guess, and if you're asked to move on, judge each case on it's own. Lot's of toilets out there, just ALOT of people have abused the place, so people are pretty touchy when they see a van parked up with no toilet on board.
Welcome to New Zealand, have a great time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles