Ever Use these guys: http://aquahot.com ??

cwsqbm

Explorer
They're common in the high end diesel pusher motorhomes. You'd probably find plenty of users on RV forums such as iRV2.com

NeverEnough

Adventurer
BTW, your photography is amazing!!! Thanks for doing such beautiful work, that's an incredible gift!

I waffled between hydronic and electric radiant heat for a long time for my build. I ultimately choose electric, and it's turned out very well (WarmUp carbon matts), but Aquahot was the route I would've gone had I chosen hydronic. I went electric for a few reasons: 1) I wanted my camper to be fully functional detached from the truck, which has come in handy; 2) system simplicity, no moving parts, fluids, pumps; 3) dimensional advantages of carbon matts.

It's funny how these infrastructure decisions are interdependent. Since my camper is detachable, and I wanted redundancy, I decided that my two energy systems would be electric and propane. If I had decided to have my camper permanently attached, I would've gone with electric and diesel. I think I'd still use the electric radiant heat, but the Aquahot would've been a good consideration for hot water, with the ability to use both diesel and electricity.

LoRoad

Adventurer
BTW, your photography is amazing!!! Thanks for doing such beautiful work, that's an incredible gift!

Thanks, the words are kind and very much appreciated. It does help when you love what you do. Now if I could only make waffles. ;-)

I waffled between hydronic and electric radiant heat for a long time for my build. I ultimately choose electric, and it's turned out very well (WarmUp carbon matts), but Aquahot was the route I would've gone had I chosen hydronic. I went electric for a few reasons: 1) I wanted my camper to be fully functional detached from the truck, which has come in handy; 2) system simplicity, no moving parts, fluids, pumps; 3) dimensional advantages of carbon matts.

It's funny how these infrastructure decisions are interdependent. Since my camper is detachable, and I wanted redundancy, I decided that my two energy systems would be electric and propane. If I had decided to have my camper permanently attached, I would've gone with electric and diesel. I think I'd still use the electric radiant heat, but the Aquahot would've been a good consideration for hot water, with the ability to use both diesel and electricity.

I'm thinking about the aquahot because it we can put a webasto 11 gallon isotemp into the circuit and have both electric and diesel as the solution, for redundancy. Still need to diagram out how the whole thing will function, just got to noodle on it a bit.

Would you have a link, so I can review, these 'carbon matt' solution(s)?

NeverEnough

Adventurer
Would you have a link, so I can review, these 'carbon matt' solution(s)?

Here's Warmups link to their newest product, but it's not what I used. Looks like they might've dropped the carbon product from their line-up in NA:http://www.warmup.com/us/foil-heating-panels-installation-manual.phtml

This is the same product I used from a UK brand:

http://www.cosyfloor.com/Products/ECOMAT-Underfloor-Elements.aspx#tblProductRange

The carbon matts put out about 15 watts/sqft. In my build, they can keep the camper at 70 degrees down to outside temps of 26-28 F, pulling about 22 amps (about 180sqft. of matt material). I also use ALS (automatic load shedding) devices to allow my "demand" loads to be prioritized (i.e. when the microwave turns on, one of the radiant heat zones is automatically switched off until the microwave stops). That allowed me to keep my main service to 30amps, rather than 50, which allowed a smaller, lighter backup generator. Really glad I did that. Not sure why the approach is not utilized more in the RV industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier