Gen3 running rough+ traction on and off lights on.

cnutco

Adventurer
apamy4av.jpg

Both of these lights seem to come on after the engine warms up and starts to miss fire bad.

History... I had Bosch plugs and wires installed a few months ago and it had a miss every once and a while, but now these lights come on and it runs like crap.

I have a set of NGK plugs ready to go in along with new valve gasket and grommets.

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnutco

Adventurer
I wouldn't think so either, but sure enough... As soon as those lights come on it sucks.

How does the traction control relate to electrical?

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Generically, sounds like you have some pinched/short wires somewhere, dropping out voltage to the ignition and impairing TC. Hunting it down can be tricky. Definitely get the FSM downloaded and look for a commonality in power feed. No ABS light though?

alex9528

Observer
Plug in OBD2 reader and see what codes you have. I always start here and and google those codes to see if there are any fixes. Have you checked all your fuses?

MonteroLTD

Adventurer
Mine would throw an engine light and both those lights when I had a misfire. Certain vehicles show an amber or red engine light depending on the severity of the fault. I'm guessing the 3rd gen montero uses those two lights along with the engine light to indicate something more serious.

It seems you may be experiencing the same thing. As previously mentioned, scan for fault codes. If a misfire code is present, you may need a coil.

michel77

Adventurer
Those 2 lights also come on for me most days. It sometimes has a little jingle/beeps to go along with it. I think I read on the Aussie forum that it could be related to the ABS wheel sensors but obviously that would not explain the rough running..

I have to say I find troubleshooting difficult, the manual is not all that clear in my view. Maybe I was spoiled by Mr. T. in a previous life..

cnutco

Adventurer
I just put this on an old thread that I thought was close to my issue.

Has anything been fixed? Have you solved your issue?

I am having the somewhat of the same issue. The same two lights are coming on, but only when my engine starts to misfired bad after it warms up. Only code is B2S1 O2 sensor, nothing about misfire. I have replaced two O2 sensors but I have to look to see which ones.

History:
New instrument panel due to the heat gauge not working
Two new O2 sensors
New NGK plugs
New spark plug wires
New valve cover gasket with grommets
New fuel pump
Injector cleaner in gas

Further plans that I would like opinions on:
Replace coils (wish I did this two days ago with plugs. Palm to face)
Replace other two O2 sensors
Replace catalytic converters
Physically clean injectors
Talk to dealer about the instrument panel they installed

Other ideas are welcomed.

cnutco

Adventurer
It turned out to be the coil for cylinder #6 that was defective. The traction lights went off too, so I agree that they come on when something is really out of whack.

I will most likely replace the other two coils soon, but the Mits dealer only has one.

cnutco

Adventurer
Fortunately the coils can be accessed without removing the intake manifold :wings:

So true! 😀

I price the coils at parts places and the Mits dealer was only a few dollars more. So I went OEM!

Now to get my O2 sensors squared away!!! I may replace the Y-Pipe and cats all together. Has anyone done this here???

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
It turned out to be the coil for cylinder #6 that was defective. The traction lights went off too, so I agree that they come on when something is really out of whack.

I will most likely replace the other two coils soon, but the Mits dealer only has one.

Good to hear that it was fixed. I would think that a bad coil may have caused a ground/voltage issue in the wiring harness resulting in the traction lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles