Camp table - easy fit to your vehicles exterior

Skids HJ61

Observer
Hi guys,

I've searched through many threads and I can't find what I am looking for.

I want to make a camp table, probably about 600 wide by 350 deep that I can store inside my 'cruiser and when I pull up at camp! take it out and affix it to the side of my truck. A quick and easy method.

I was thinking of fixing some stainless steel brackets to the side of the truck behind the back door where the table could drop or lock into with some supports up to the roof rack or roof drip rail....

Has anyone done this or any ideas on what hardware I could use to secure it....

Cheers

overlander

Expedition Leader
Look at RV suppliers. I've seen at least one that does what you want. I hv a shelf that mounts to side of mine for cook prep. Honestly though for dining all your saving is 1 set of legs for a lot of cost hastle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Skids HJ61

Observer
madmax, I was thinking of an over the wheel set up but it would be a bit low for me, im 6'6" tall so it has to be a tad higher for me...

overlander, the table will just be for food rpep and putting my camp stove on to cook on. I will eat on my lap in front of the fire :REOutCampFire03:

thanks for the link stumpy, I looked into freighting that support here to Australia and at around $45 just for freight it makes it an expensive piece of aluminium:REOutShootinghunter

unfortunately I live in a part of Australia where there isnt much in the way of variety when it comes to RV/camping suppliers, so it looks like I am off to the hardware shop for a look around. I might have a look on ebay and see what I can find there in the way of a keyhole fitting......

I'll keep you all informed of my progress....... keep the ideas coming :victory:

Skids HJ61

Observer
Thanks Dazrin, those footman loops look like the way to go, they won't look too obvious fitted to the rear quarter panel and be nice and 'low profile' .....

I'll see if my local hardware has them.....

Adventurer
I used a simple 6 inch C clamp and a piece of plywood, clamped it to the front bumper. Single burner propane stove fits in hole at the front.

IMG_8756 c.jpg

I realize mine is on a HJ45, not sure if your bumper would permit this set up.

When not in use its tossed in the back or on the roof rack.

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
I like this idea. It's probably best that it is custom made for the vehicle and position of the end user.

RangeBrover

Explorer
If you don't have a roof rack frontrunner has a pretty cool setup that allows you to slide a table under the roof rack.

Skids HJ61

Observer
So I got started on the side table today! it's not finished but will give you an idea on how it will be.

Took me a while to find the fittings on the side of the truck but eventually found some stainless steel fittings in a local boat chandlery for $4 each and fitted them just below the swage line in the truck, it's the right height for me but probably too high for someone under 6'.

I used a small chain to support the leading edge from the side awning frame. This way I can adjust the height of the front of the table if the truck is on a slight lean ( so nothing rolls off the front). Im yet to sand and paint the board but this is pretty much it so far

I'm open to suggestions on improving this idea.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    483 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 99

overlander

Expedition Leader
I should have mentioned that my side table is using boat removable table fittings too, so you figured it out! You can see my side table in my registry on defendersource here :http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35729

One unexpected value add I got from my setup was having adjustable straps/chains, that way you can level the table laterally when the vehicle isn't level. Otherwise, when your cooking, those scrambled eggs and such all run one way or the other on the griddle/pan.

don't forget to take the time to seal your table with marine varnish. I also see you used what looks like aluminum bar on the side. what I did to prevent that protrusion, is to drill a large holes (1") in the wood, then run a long screw in from the side that runs through the hole, and provides an attachment point for the strap/chain.

Skids HJ61

Observer
I should have mentioned that my side table is using boat removable table fittings too, so you figured it out! You can see my side table in my registry on defendersource here :http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35729

One unexpected value add I got from my setup was having adjustable straps/chains, that way you can level the table laterally when the vehicle isn't level. Otherwise, when your cooking, those scrambled eggs and such all run one way or the other on the griddle/pan.

don't forget to take the time to seal your table with marine varnish. I also see you used what looks like aluminum bar on the side. what I did to prevent that protrusion, is to drill a large holes (1") in the wood, then run a long screw in from the side that runs through the hole, and provides an attachment point for the strap/chain.

Thanks for the feedback, yes I will be sealing the board with a varnish or something similar. How thick is your board, mine is only 12mm thick so I'm not sure running a screw in from the side as you suggested to anchor the chain would be strong enough to support the weight.....I was going to use 19mm board but it was considerably heavier than the 12mm board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles