So I'm buying a van...

Cole

Expedition Leader
He used to have a VW van spent 12k in repairs in one year.

??? How is that even possible?

I put a brand new factory crate motor and every accessory on the motor into my VW Eurovan and it cost about a 3rd of that.(replaced basically every mechanical component in the whole van)

Darwin

Explorer
??? How is that even possible?
Not sure, sounds like he bought a truck and camper after having been tired of breaking down all the time and costly repairs. Maybe it was over the time of ownership and not one year.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Having a truck with a camper has certain advantages, but also some big disadvantages.

I've had both. Personally the van wins hands down. Here are a few reasons.

-Driver and passenger can move from the front seats to the "camper area" without getting out of the vehicle. Lots of advantages to this from stealth, weather, and simply convenience when moving(though not the safest thing).

-More seating capacity in a van.

-The cockpit of the van transforms into living space with swivel seats installed. This increases the living area without increasing the length of the vehicle. In a truck the cockpit only has one task.

-a van can retain more cargo capacity. In my Eurovan for example I can put two full size motorcycles inside and still sleep in the pop top.

HoboJen

Adventurer
so my internet was down all day yesterday so i had to take a nice big step away from all this... which was kinda nice.

:coffee: but the search continues...

also, talked to my dad. he's pro spinter and ford, hates the chevy's. he's driven work cargo vans for years and knows a lot about them. also reminded me that he taught me to drive in an astro van. and he was much more on board with this idea than i expected... i expected a lecture about getting a real job and that a woman shouldn't travel the US alone cause it's dangerous out there. but no, he even suggested a vw eurovan camper. but wanted me to stay on the newer side of things for reliability. then he sent me this one, so, yeah... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E-Seri...5d15a884a&item=231145637962&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

back to searching...

Jb1rd

Explorer
Along these lines (referring to the post with your dads suggestion)if you have FaceBook, check out a page called Happy Nomad Girl. She is doing what you are wanting and making it work in an old *** van she calls "the hippy missile". Drop her a message, pick her brain, seems like a good start for real info specific to a young female living the van life.

draaronr

Adventurer
man I wish I would have had you guys find my van for me. I will throw my 2cents into the fight. I bought a 2000 ford van E350 with the 7.3 for $7000, then I spent 1800 going through it mechanically as it had 170k on it. Now she purrs along, I drive 75 so I get about 15.5-16 mph. She can tow if I desire. It's a conversion van so I have a bed in the back, and I can remove the middle captain chairs or the rear for that matter. It does have windows so not stealth,but it has outlets already and plenty of extras like on board air, and lighting. so for less than 9k and a week I was ready to hit the road. I have read all 13 pages and it seems you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. No matter what you pick in a month or two you will see something better, then 2 months later youll wish you would have made different modifications to it, just commit and keep it simple.

Jb1rd

Explorer
On the kayak dilemma look into a rear hitch mount vertical load system. If you come into situations where you need to shuttle a bunch of boats just have a clean tarp handy and load them inside with the rear doors open if need be, IME most shuttles just aren't that long to justify having all your boats up top, and little things like that will more times than not present a solution with in a few uses. Like the other posters have said, dive in and go, there will always be something better but absolutely nothing better than already being there. Worst case you hate it and move back into an apt. Or you sale the rig you are in and upgrade, no bad outcomes really, it all comes down to experience. I wouldn't trade my van time for anything, except more van to e :bike_rider:
Also check out Sportsmobiles website and each of the sub sites which list used SM for sale in the different regions. I have seen some nice 2wd rigs go for a pretty good price.

Accrete

Explorer
...i had been eyeing the chevy 1500 awd...

:) if you take the plunge you will love it! We've put ours through some fun times on and off the pavement over the last three years. No regrets.

_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz