So I'm buying a van...

HoboJen

Adventurer
it seems like every time i've made a decision... new things come up and i change my mind or question the few decisions i've made.

good points about going now. working is not on the priority list right now, however.

my lease is up on April 1st, so I was thinking of building the van in Feb & March (with test trips) to be ready to be out on 4/1. In all likelihood I'll sublet my room anyway. the rent is just too cheap to give it up in case I come back.

Wiley

Adventurer
Since you said no Astros, and the 1st reply was an Astro, I wanted to add that since you are already leaning towards avoiding an Astro, I would encourage that you do just that. I spent 1.5-2 years on the road in my 2004 Astro, and while its great, it got cramped being in it everyday for that long. People can do it, but if your already inclined to something bigger, I think you should just stick to that plan.

Now, if you want me to talk you into an Astro I can try that too, but I think this is good advice for you.

HoboJen

Adventurer
Since you said no Astros, and the 1st reply was an Astro, I wanted to add that since you are already leaning towards avoiding an Astro, I would encourage that you do just that. I spent 1.5-2 years on the road in my 2004 Astro, and while its great, it got cramped being in it everyday for that long. People can do it, but if your already inclined to something bigger, I think you should just stick to that plan.

Now, if you want me to talk you into an Astro I can try that too, but I think this is good advice for you.

my inclination was that while i could make an astro work, i don't want to. i had it in my head the whole time that i would get a minivan and had plans for it... but when i got inside it i instantly changed my mind.

i also want an awesome, functional, cozy, living space that i love to be in, and i figure it is worth taking the time to build it... and i'll be at it full time. and it gives me time to go through my things and downsize and get my room ready for someone else. and a little more time with my friends here. and if i have trouble, road trip to my dad and brother, who have tools and know how. i think it would be a fun project and i'd love to do it and to be able to say that i did it myself.

so yeah, I'm right back where I was... does anyone have any thoughts on the 1500/2500/3500 and ford vs chevy vs whatever? yes i would love a sprinter but they are pricey. maybe i'll look at some numbers with the gas difference, and the high top is sweet.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
my lease is up on April 1st, so I was thinking of building the van in Feb & March (with test trips) to be ready to be out on 4/1.

I hate to be a buzzkill here. But unless you are doing a extremely light build. Or have a detailed plan of what you want, where exactly it's going to go, how it's going to be assembled, parts purchased ect ect ect
Two months is not enough time to do a proper build. Even doing it full time.

Check around for older sportsmoblie vans. The 2wd models go for relatively little money.
There are some other more rv type camper van conversions out there. Though the names are escaping me at the moment.

Here is a sweet old camper van
Roll in style:wings:
http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/4293818344.html

boardrider247

Something like this would be good.
Remove carpet, install rubber or vinyl floor and go camping
Chevy/GMC Jayco camper van
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4296959651.html

The older American v8 vans are going to get poor mileage.
But you make up for that with the fact that every auto parts store has parts on the shelf for them.
And every mechanic in every crap hole middle of nowhere town can work on them.

HoboJen

Adventurer
these are good ideas, thanks for posting...

what do you guys think as far as the temp inside the van for a conversion van vs a well insulated cargo van (like the white fun hog)? I'm thinking of my dog here....

another question. how hard is it to learn to work on cars? like not knowing much but getting a repair manual and learning so you can understand how your car works. easy/hard? assuming you're committed and have put forth a little time.

Cole

Expedition Leader

so yeah, I'm right back where I was... does anyone have any thoughts on the 1500/2500/3500 and ford vs chevy vs whatever? yes i would love a sprinter but they are pricey. maybe i'll look at some numbers with the gas difference, and the high top is sweet.

Since nobody has really addressed this basic question, here is the basic answer.:coffeedrink:

The numbers 1500/2500/3500 are a basic rating for the "heavily duty-ness" of the chassis and drivetrain. At one point in time they actually meant something but nowadays you need to look a little deeper at the whole package. Some modern 1500(lighter duty also referred to as "half ton") can carry and tow more than old school "One Tons"(3500). (Which leaves the 2500 as the 3/4 ton and super lightweights without ratings on them like the Astro as 1/4 tons).

Typically 2500/3500 will haul more, have bigger axles, can have extended lengths, bigger engines ect. They also tend to ride rougher and get worse fuel economy(not always, but "in general")

Realistically, most of what you describe doing could be done with a 1500. (Most conversion vans are 1500) or maybe a 2500 for putting 6 people a dog and kayaks on top. More than that and it's probably overkill for you. (And often times the difference between a 2500 and 3500 is only the springs or axle gears)

Now, I'm sure someone will nitpick that massive generalization of the weight ratings, but it's really all you need to know about them. A 1500 conversion van will ride nice, get decent fuel economy(for a van), have most of the upgrades you need already built in, and be cheap!

As far as Chevy(GMC is the same as Chevy) vs Ford vs Dodge. Unless the Dodge is a Sprinter (which is really a Mercedes not a Dodge:coffeedrink:) then it doesn't really matter for you. They are all basically the same as far as costs to own, power, reliability, etc. Just buy the best one you can afford.

Good luck!

Fwiw, I've lived off a motorcycle for 6 months. The time to go is NOW!!

Cole

Expedition Leader

what do you guys think as far as the temp inside the van for a conversion van vs a well insulated cargo van (like the white fun hog)? I'm thinking of my dog here....

You could pull the panels off a conversion and stick insulation behind them. Some may already be done. The big thing about a conversion van is that many of the expensive electrical and furnace things may already be done. No work to do, no money to spend.

another question. how hard is it to learn to work on cars? like not knowing much but getting a repair manual and learning so you can understand how your car works. easy/hard? assuming you're committed and have put forth a little time.

Simplest thing in the world. People, especially mechanics, make it out to be much more complicated than it really is. If you figured out how to read/type and use the Internet, working on cars will be cake!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That last astro is very nice and the tilting poptop makes loading / unloading kayaks on the roof with it open a lot easier. I would think it would hold its value well for the time you would use it - AWD drive pop-top camper vans are getting rare - look at the price of westfalia's and syncro's - A safari/astro properly setup can be as comfortable and as capable - and probably would be more reliable. Just lakes the Euro appeal.

The windows loose and gain far more heat compared to a cargo van - but a layer of reflextix insulation over them helps. In such a small space a heater would take care of either.

A factory 4WD (or AWD) vehicle is always easier to get fixed and find parts for then an aftermarket conversion.

Perhaps add a rear carrier to hold the short kayaks vertically and to use as a back porch when camping and you are set.

boardrider247

The big difference is going to come from the windows, conversion vans tend to have many windows which cannot be insulated.
This can be negated to some extent using sunshades. But overall assuming the cargo van is well insulated it is going to stay cooler in the sun then a van with a lot of windows.

As for repairs. I learned by doing. When I was 15 my dad gave me his 74 dodge pickup with 200k miles and a service manual.
That was it. When something broke I had to fix it.
I would say find a van you like. Have a experienced mechanic look over it and give you a list of what needs to be repaired.
Then dive in, fix what was recommended by the mechanic. Between a good service manual and some help from Internet forums anyone who can follow simple instructions can do well. Troubleshooting is a whole other animal but that can only truly come with experience.

loren85022

Explorer
Here's my 10 cents from a happily married 4wd van guy. If you want to attract potential companions, you need a 4wd van. I can't begin to describe all the various people (incl obviously single females) that approach me (and us) whilst we're adding another 35 gallons in the van. Or laying low at a campground. For sure it ain't cuz my looks!

Sent from my iToaster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior