So I'm buying a van...

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Since we are bashing Vanagons here - this is a really good link to review:

http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/load.html

Its a survey of VW camper owners and the weights of their rigs vs. the manufacturers GVWR. Also keep in mind that most of these are probably not really expo level rigs for extended travel but more weekend / festival campers without heavy bumpers and spare fuel tanks etc.

Comments: This data is the result of "Actual Vehicle" weigh survey's taken on various VW Van Lists

Results:

- 33 Vehicles Total
- 62% were loaded to within 10% of capacity or more
- 24% were loaded over the spec limits

-Weight distribution shows 67% of vehicles have more weight on front axle than the rear axle.

Just another good reason to consider something with a higher GVWR (like a sprinter which has a GVWR of around 9000 lbs) when you are planning on "full timing" it for a while with lots more stuff and possibly adding lots of people when shuttling.

ober27

Adventurer
anyway, i still continue to appreciate all the advice i've been given, so thanks.

as far as me lacking direction as stated by another poster... so what? i haven't agreed on anything. i'm allowed to change my mind. i'm allowed to go look at something different or hell, maybe i'll drop this vanagon so fast on monday and just end up buying something totally different. so what? judge me all you want, i'm going to do what i want and if i make a bad decision, well it's my bad decision.

unfortunately i don't have time for all this today and i'll be away from internet for the weekend, so you guys have fun.

Have a great weekend. I for one am new to vans so I am finding all the discussion/debate both interesting and informative. I only hope everyone can remain civil so as not to discourage any ones valuable input.

ober27

Adventurer
anyway, i still continue to appreciate all the advice i've been given, so thanks.

as far as me lacking direction as stated by another poster... so what? i haven't agreed on anything. i'm allowed to change my mind. i'm allowed to go look at something different or hell, maybe i'll drop this vanagon so fast on monday and just end up buying something totally different. so what? judge me all you want, i'm going to do what i want and if i make a bad decision, well it's my bad decision.

unfortunately i don't have time for all this today and i'll be away from internet for the weekend, so you guys have fun.

Have a great weekend. I for one am new to vans so I am finding all the discussion/debate both interesting and informative. I only hope everyone can remain civil so as not to discourage any ones valuable input.

OOPS, Looks like I messed up inserting quote on that last post, hope this works.

John W

Observer
well i gather that a lot of people spend months looking for their vehicle. this thread started about one month ago. i've been working on narrowing it down and buying something.

i have no debt. i prefer to keep it that way. ps. you do sound a little like an ***.

Take your time, and take every opinion with a grain of salt. (including mine), which I'm sure you already do.

Ultimately you will live with your decision, so you're the only one who needs to be happy over it.

I tend to do huge research before acting, and it always helps.

John W

Observer
while I certainly can't recant the entire 42 pages, in the past few she was about to buy a sprinter and a vanagon. apples and oranges even according to the ever opinionated Cole which with his agreeance I see the pot calling the kettle, as in many threads he comes off as one too. I love forums and see no problem in asking for ideas and directions. It's just obvious she doesnt have one at all. Her budget has more than doubled, the size of the vehicle has doubled then shrunk again. This has turned into less of a thread about Jen and more of a thread about our ideas of our vans or the vans we wish we had.

Isn't the forum entirely about talking about camper vans?

What could be better than this thread.

I am enjoying it.

John W

Observer
yes, i have a stack of money and decided to change my allocation on what was spent on the van.

yeah, the size of the vehicle has changed as I continue to look around and figure out what I want. i don't see how that's a bad thing.

thread drift happens. thread hijacking happens. things change. people are different and not everyone has the same decision making process. still, judge me all you want, don't care. only care about how i judge myself.

Good answers!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Hi cole, the only thing i found sexist was the "SHE wants to "shuttle" other kayakers around"... i mean really, how do you think that sounds?

Um? Like you are female and you said you might want to carry other people and their boats back up river like you stated?

Seriously? How is this sexist?

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
hey jen- hope your weekend was a good one. taking breaks is imperative and from the looks of this thread lately, the perfect thing to do.

ignore the naysayers. you're doing the right thing by looking at a broad spectrum of vehicles and learning about all the pros and cons of each. you have a steep learning curve and have accepted the challenge darn well in my opinion.

in the interest of going with newer vehicles, room for stuff, roof compatible with kayaks or other, space for dog and friends...i present this camper:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/rvs/4339934778.html

for the price, you could pick it up and with a little help from dad and bro, you could turn it into something closer to this:

http://freeteaparty.org/blog/woodworking-the-interior-eureka-ca/

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
and some food for thought. a mix of older and newer options. all Fords:

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/4319025853.html

and peep this beauty- RV AC!, full bathroom w/shower! (to get all that saltwater off after surfing), full kitchen, huge awning for sipping tasty beverages ;) after a long day, under 90,000 miles: http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/rvs/4275737664.html

nice sleeper van w/decent beginnings to a camper interior. this one is also veeery close to me and i would be willing to look at it for you if you wanted me to. also, i would want to know which mechanic looked at the van as there is only one, ONE!, reliable mechanic on the island. i can tell you who this is via PM if you want as well. some tranny issues, but a good price for what's there: http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/4351348053.html

decent, older, 2WD Sportsmobile. says no stove, but photos show space for one: http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/rvs/4349417157.html

Wiley

Adventurer
Um? Like you are female and you said you might want to carry other people and their boats back up river like you stated?

Seriously babe? How is this sexist, I didn't even tell you to get back to the kitchen, I assumed that was a given...your on thin ice, talk back to me again...slap!

You shouldn't have typed all that with a scotch in your hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles