SPOT question

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
How many times in a given period or how frequently can you send a "Check in message"?

When motoing solo I want the SPOT to be on me and protected. My concern is in the event of get-off the unit is with me (not the bike) and not damaged. After reading all the post Im not sure it will produce a track if protected. It would be ideal for me to be able to stop and send a "Check in" every so often.

I have read the posts and look on the SPOT site and Im still without an answer.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
You can send a manual ok message as often as you want...I think it tries for a few minutes to make sure the text goes through but I figure I could send 1 every 5 minutes if I really wanted.
I will play with mine and check.

jeff@work

Adventurer
Well like 1leglance said as far as the spot service is concerned you can send them as often as you'd like. From a cold start up of spot to recieving a text msg on my phone from it the fastest i've had that happen was somewhere around 3-5 minutes...if spot had already been on and had the gps satelites acquired it might have been quicker. This was in a clear area with a good view of the sky. One of the problems is the spot device doesn't let you know when the message has gone through...so basically you hit the okay button and assume it will send the message in the next 20 minutes.

I've had it in tracking mode while mountain biking and snowboarding, while mountain biking with spot inside a little tupperware container in the top of my camelback it was sending out the tracking messages just fine. When i was snowboarding i had it in the front pocket of my pants and it only sent a few messages....which i pretty much expected since it was probably blocked most of the time while i was riding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles