New to 4x4 scene, 95 Montero Ls

off-roader

Expedition Leader
BTW, did I mention downloading PDF's of the Factory Service Manuals from mitsubishilinksdotcom? You can also download the mitsubishi ASA dealer parts lookup program from there. It's designed to run in windows and I know folks have gotten it running on both native Windows PC's as well as a virtual Windows system on a Mac.

Mitsu ASA has been invaluable for looking up the correct part number dozens of times for me as well as cross referencing parts between different mitsu vehicles. 4x4wire's Mitsu Tech forum has a list of VIN's for different year Mitsu 4x4's you can use if you need to look up and cross reference parts from a different year or even different mitsu.

HTH.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I would change the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and wires while you at it.

Is that a radiator metal or plastic? how much was it?

Forceinducted

It's common practice when changing the timing belt to replace the front crankshaft seal and update the crankshaft bolt since you'll have the front of the engine apart.

Also, you'll need this o-ring for the rear of the water pump housing:

MITSUBISHI MD 030763 O-ring, Under Plenum Coolant Passage Tube to Rear Water Pump Housing

I don't know if the 3 liter engines require this gasket but the 3.5s do:

MITSUBISHI MD 308723 Gasket, Water Pump Housing to Thermostat Housing

Thanks I'll look into it. I think i have the O-ring for the water pump, it's there included at the kit with the gaskets.

BTW, did I mention downloading PDF's of the Factory Service Manuals from mitsubishilinksdotcom? You can also download the mitsubishi ASA dealer parts lookup program from there. It's designed to run in windows and I know folks have gotten it running on both native Windows PC's as well as a virtual Windows system on a Mac.

Mitsu ASA has been invaluable for looking up the correct part number dozens of times for me as well as cross referencing parts between different mitsu vehicles. 4x4wire's Mitsu Tech forum has a list of VIN's for different year Mitsu 4x4's you can use if you need to look up and cross reference parts from a different year or even different mitsu.

HTH.

I have the Chilton repair manual already but I don't know if it has the same contents like the original, previous owner include it in the sale. Yeah I will use that next time I look for parts. Thanks!

IMG_3337_zps1bfd4552.jpg

I would change the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs and wires while you at it.

Is that a radiator metal or plastic? how much was it?

I think those spark plugs and wires were recently changed, but not sure about the valve cover gaskets, there's some wet areas below the valve cover though but I don't think its leaking. Will definitely do that next during my tune-up project.

It has a plastic tank, also listed at their website description says Radiator Material: Plastic/Copper/Brass made by Vista-Pro. Bought it at summitracing $97.97 online.

jlocster

Explorer
I think i have the O-ring for the water pump, it's there included at the kit with the gaskets.

If you have it great, but I don't see it in any of your pics...its about the size of a dime.

You'll also need a timing belt tensioner tool (spanner socket), and if you change the crankshaft seal/bolt, a spanner wrench (which can be homemade) for the harmonic balancer.

Last edited:

Forceinducted

Yeah I don't have any O-ring with a size of a dime. I thought the one I have is the right part. lol Do I really have to replace that too?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Yeah I don't have any O-ring with a size of a dime. I thought the one I have is the right part. lol Do I really have to replace that too?
No, but you're risking overheating your engine is all, no biggie... ;)

It's a $1 part. Just replace it. Trust me, you don't want to have to go back in there afterwards just to replace it because your loosing water or worse yet you blow your head gaskets.

As for that Chiltons or a Haynes manual, they will give some good info but the free pdf's of the Mitsu Factory Service Manuals should be your bible. I've thrown away my Haynes manual.

Last edited:

Forceinducted

It's a $1 part. Just replace it. Trust me, you don't want to have to go back in there afterwards just to replace it because your loosing water or worse yet you blow your head gaskets.

I'll do it, just called my local Mitsubishi dealer and they have it on stock, $6.98 a piece.

Forceinducted

Got my crankshaft seal, bolt and return pipe o-ring this morning at my local dealer, bought oem oil filter/washer as well. Valvoline Max Life High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil from Pep boys (couldn't find at Walmart(cheaper) near me or any auto parts store except Pep Boys.)

IMG_3344_zps79b94198.jpg

IMG_3345_zpsbb91c946.jpg

Will start on it probably this coming Monday.

Forceinducted

I'm back!

Hey guys I'm back! So I've received my steel wheels today 15x8 -19 for the Montero(been wanting these for a while). Will be mounted to BFGoodrich 33x12.5 KM2 on Friday. Will post pics when installed.

IMG_4678_zps25c304bd.jpg

IMG_4680_zpsc384a511.jpg

Forceinducted

Thanks!

I can't wait to see those wheels on the Montero. Very cool.

Thank you! It's in the truck already. Check my post below. :)

Isn't this car for sale on the Chicago Clist?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/4629566211.html

I was going to contact about buying it if its the same car.

It is, but decided to just keep it. I bought tires and wheels for it already and it's on the truck. I really like how it look now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles