New to 4x4 scene, 95 Montero Ls

Forceinducted

Sorry for the late update. Been really busy since Friday.

Here you guys can see the tires I bought from Walmart.com(they don't stock these in store around here). Picked it up Friday morning, went to a friend who works at NTB to get a good deal. Mounting & alignment for $120. Thanks for these hookups I have. Saves me a lot of $$. :)

Enjoy pics!

IMG_4689_zps3ddf0eb1.jpg

IMG_4695_zpscefd6db3.jpg

Btw, I asked friends for inputs on how should I mount the tires, whether if the white letters should be IN or OUT, I got all OUT votes(which I prefer myself).

IMG_4698_zps520719f8.jpg

Aligning.

IMG_4712_zpseb89ac75.jpg

IMG_4699_zpsf2d562f4.jpg

IMG_4707_zps4ec600dc.jpg

IMG_4709_zps08517a29.jpg

IMG_4708_zpsa70d20e2.jpg

Finished product! Not me on the pic.

IMG_4716_zps6f45eb70.png

Also made some live recording for you guys who wanted to see it rolling.

Hope you like the update! :)

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Glad you are keeping it. I was looking for one to build up in a similar way. There are not too many around. Yours in Chi and one in Cleveland are the only ones around here for sale that I found that were not a sport. Those tires look mean. Good luck on the project ill be stealing ideas! I will definitely be doing all the maintenance items first so might have some questions since I've never wrenched on a Mitsubishi.

-Are those tires on there in the stock wheel wells? No lifts? Are they rubbing? How do they sound are they noisy as heck? That is a lot of meat on a stock car.

Last edited:

viducce

Observer
Great truck, thanks for sharing.
Looks just right, dimensions perfectly combined.
Love those rims, pity I don't get them here in Taiwan, have to import every little bit....$$$
I've got 255/85 16 which look a bit skinnier but its the tallness that I'm after.....
Do you got any lift in there?

3737c101d7be24048da5e74e5b1624da_zps0d6d5529.jpg

Forceinducted

Looks great. I always get the lettering out too.

Thanks! Yeah it looks plain and aggressive with the white lettering in.

Glad you are keeping it. I was looking for one to build up in a similar way. There are not too many around. Yours in Chi and one in Cleveland are the only ones around here for sale that I found that were not a sport. Those tires look mean. Good luck on the project ill be stealing ideas! I will definitely be doing all the maintenance items first so might have some questions since I've never wrenched on a Mitsubishi.

-Are those tires on there in the stock wheel wells? No lifts? Are they rubbing? How do they sound are they noisy as heck? That is a lot of meat on a stock car.

Thanks! And sure I bet a lot of our friends here can help you out too regards with the maintenance on yours.

Yes stock wheel well, no lift just the factory 1 inch lift. They rub on the plastic corner bumper in the front so I have to trimmed it a little bit. It also sits close to the plastic behind the wheel when the wheel is turned on either side but I didn't do any trimming yet, it rides fine only when you're turning the wheel on uneven pavement that's when you hit the plastic. It's all in the front though, the rears are fine didn't do any trimming on it. As far as the tire noise, I thought these are noisy as hell seeing those big chunk of tread, but honestly until I drove it it seems quiet, I would say 2/10 10 being the noisiest sitting inside windows closed, I don't know how noisy it is from the outside though. I rode one of my buds Montero sport with 31x10.5 on stock wheels, he has Mastercraft M/T and his tire noise is ranging 6/10. I think the KM2's are the quietest M/T tires in the market. I feel like i'm driving a car being the tire not noisy.

Nice 33" tires. Now its time to go put them to good use on the trails.

Thanks man! Yeah I can't wait. Hopefully before the winter comes I could bring her on the trails. :)

Nice license plate frame.

Thank You! Ha! those plate frames came from my show car :)
IMG_2268_zpsa8289fe0.jpg

:D

Great truck, thanks for sharing.
Looks just right, dimensions perfectly combined.
Love those rims, pity I don't get them here in Taiwan, have to import every little bit....$$$
I've got 255/85 16 which look a bit skinnier but its the tallness that I'm after.....
Do you got any lift in there?

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/viducce/GT/3737c101d7be24048da5e74e5b1624da_zps0d6d5529.jpg

Thanks! No lift just the factory 1 inch lift.

Truck look good man! I think we have the same tire height but with a different tire width.

Anyway, here's my truck during broad daylight. I thank my bud for taking these pics.

IMG_4749_zps5ed49809.jpg

IMG_4748_zpscbaefde2.jpg

Forceinducted

Got my spare tire cover today all the way from Hong Kong. Takes 2 weeks to deliver which is not bad. Looks really good on it.

IMG_4876_zps0b92ab59.jpg

Forceinducted

Hi everyone! I have a reason to post here again after a long time..:wings:

Didn't have anything to do last weekend so I brought the Montero to a empty parking lot/backdoor of an unplowed closed Kmart. Took some iPhone photos. Was cold and snowing the past week here in Chicago.

IMG_5220_zps0d74c009.jpg

IMG_5211_zps995819bb.jpg

More pics Here

razor541

Observer
Yes stock wheel well, no lift just the factory 1 inch lift. They rub on the plastic corner bumper in the front so I have to trimmed it a little bit. It also sits close to the plastic behind the wheel when the wheel is turned on either side but I didn't do any trimming yet, it rides fine only when you're turning the wheel on uneven pavement that's when you hit the plastic. It's all in the front though, the rears are fine didn't do any trimming on it.

Hello! Did you resolve the tire rubbing on the plastic in the front over uneven pavement? I'm running into the same problem...

151Rumrunner

Gen 2 Montero wheels and tires

Just adding to the knowledge base. Also new to 4x4 scene.

1996 Montero LS
2" lift
33x12.5R15LT 180R All Terrain KO2
American Racing, Outlaw II, 6 lug 139.7, 15X8, 108 center bore, offset -19

Comments:
New tires at 35 psi.
Stock bottle jack does not have enough travel to lift the tires.
Removed front mudflaps due to rubbing when turning, otherwise, tight in wheel well but enough room to fully turn without rubbing. Haven't tried off road yet.
Tires stick out about 3" past the edge of the wheel well.
With the 2" spacer lift, the axle boots are close to the arms but do not rub. The mechanic said that the rubber on the bump stops wouldn't fit with the lift. The bump bolts are in without the rubber and could contact on a sudden drop. Anyone else have this issue?
The Monteros have a larger than normal hub. Stock wheel center bore is about 110mm. With the 108mm center bore, the hub caps will not fit on the front, so, left them off the back too.
The 6 bolt 139.7 wheel size is pretty common, and will fit a lot of Toyotas and Chevy's also.
The full size spare fits the rear carrier, but rests on the rear bumper. It is still possible to open and close the back door. It looks secure, but off road, I'm not 100% sure the rear carrier will support it with the added weight and will likely end up putting it temporarily inside.
Since the new tires invalidate the spedo, installed one of the $50 HUDs from Amazon that uses satelite GPS. Didn't like the reflective screen and am running it straight against the windshield. There is a slight double image due to the safety glass, but is very readable.
Clearance, front center, 13.5"
Clearance, rear center, 9.5" at rear differential which is the lowest point.
New trailer hitch receiver ball mount with a 5.25" drop.

Montero.jpg

151Rumrunner

Gave the new set-up a good workout a few weeks ago. No issues with the oversized spare mounting or the rubber bump stops. Lots of hill climbing but no issues with engine heat or oil pressure.

Gen 2 Montero wheels and tires

Just adding to the knowledge base. Also new to 4x4 scene.

1996 Montero LS
2" lift
33x12.5R15LT 180R All Terrain KO2
American Racing, Outlaw II, 6 lug 139.7, 15X8, 108 center bore, offset -19

Comments:
New tires at 35 psi.
Stock bottle jack does not have enough travel to lift the tires.
Removed front mudflaps due to rubbing when turning, otherwise, tight in wheel well but enough room to fully turn without rubbing. Haven't tried off road yet.
Tires stick out about 3" past the edge of the wheel well.
With the 2" spacer lift, the axle boots are close to the arms but do not rub. The mechanic said that the rubber on the bump stops wouldn't fit with the lift. The bump bolts are in without the rubber and could contact on a sudden drop. Anyone else have this issue?
The Monteros have a larger than normal hub. Stock wheel center bore is about 110mm. With the 108mm center bore, the hub caps will not fit on the front, so, left them off the back too.
The 6 bolt 139.7 wheel size is pretty common, and will fit a lot of Toyotas and Chevy's also.
The full size spare fits the rear carrier, but rests on the rear bumper. It is still possible to open and close the back door. It looks secure, but off road, I'm not 100% sure the rear carrier will support it with the added weight and will likely end up putting it temporarily inside.
Since the new tires invalidate the spedo, installed one of the $50 HUDs from Amazon that uses satelite GPS. Didn't like the reflective screen and am running it straight against the windshield. There is a slight double image due to the safety glass, but is very readable.
Clearance, front center, 13.5"
Clearance, rear center, 9.5" at rear differential which is the lowest point.
New trailer hitch receiver ball mount with a 5.25" drop.

View attachment 430555

Attachments

• 20180611_201428_resized.jpg
    20180611_201428_resized.jpg
    944.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20180614_204115_resized.jpg
    20180614_204115_resized.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member