Camper Shell Roof Racks

redneckjeepr

Observer
It has a two piece mount, so I can take the rack off if I need to and not leave exposed holes. A small bracket mounts to the camper and then the rack bolts to that. The second picture shows how the holes are offset from each other, so the gasket on the bottom of the bracket on the roof seals good. Don't mind the extra holes on the bottom bracket, I drilled the pattern wrong the first time.

redneckjeepr

Observer
its really low profile, like 1/2 an inch clearance between the rack and roof in the very center where the hoist hook is. I had to make it that low, so I could still get in the garage where my hoist is.
I still plan on running supports to the bed rails, just haven't had the time. I hauled 5 21' pieces of 1.5" HREW tubing on it without too much problem, just had to strap it down good to eliminate the bounce. I mainly use it to haul my jon boat or bikes when we take the travel trailer out.

Raul B

Explorer
So my wife took care of the kids all day so i can work in the shop and try and get this rack ready before the desert rendezvous. so today i fabricated some mounting brackets that will get welded under the corners.
IMG_9890_zps40648026.jpg

IMG_9889_zps79c135a9.jpg

IMG_9891_zpscc3da55e.jpg

i also made the top section of the rack and tacked welded onto the bottom section. i also put a cross brase 3/4 of the way down on the bottom section where another set of triangular corner peices will be installed since thats the forward location of where it will mount to the top of my roof rack.

IMG_9894_zpsfd41ff36.jpg

IMG_9895_zpsc30e2823.jpg

Tomorrow i plan to finish up the angle parts in the front and adding some more braces... I also hope to fully weld the whole thing so i can start grinding it down and getting it ready for paint soon. sometime next week im going to remove my camper shell so thats its easier to work on and get it mounted up to the top of it.

-Raul

Raul B

Explorer
ok here is some more update... I didnt get to spend a whole lot of time on it today so didnt get everything i want done.

Here is an buttom up view of it. I added another set of traingle peices to the bar in the middle
IMG_9897_zps7b44592a.jpg

i also added 4" tall pieces around the perimeter to help strengthen the whole thing...
here is a back view
IMG_9900_zps6e76ca62.jpg

and the rest
IMG_9899_zpsc707457e.jpg

IMG_9898_zps77a4bfa7.jpg

so as of right now i still need to finish 2 more mounting brackets that go from those triangle pieces to the top of the shell. I also need to find a place locally that can sell me some of that wire mesh to play on the bottom of the rack and add a couple of more braces. I also still have not added my light mounting tabs since im waiting for my 50" light bar to come in.

-Raul

Raul B

Explorer
I havnt updated this thread in a while but I'm pretty much don't with it. Added more cross bars, mounting points, brackets for my 50" light bar, primer and paint. I'm just gonna hit it with another coat of paint and I'll be done
ne6evu3e.jpg
u3eqeseb.jpg
ma2u3avy.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Raul B

Explorer
Almost done. I just need to make the plates that go on the inside. Should be done today

2yzujyma.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles