Camper Shell Roof Racks

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
My shell has the Thule Tracker II system, it's just that one of the tower feet is broken and another is starting to crack. I have found replacement feet are available. Thing is they are expensive, and add 4 or 5 inches to the height. That is how it was mounted before.

zscott

Adventurer
I have had a rack on my shell for about a year so far with pretty consistent use with various items including a rooftop tent. The thule setup I additionally had worked ok but the PRINSU system I have now has been much better. I have no signs or indications of failure at all.

kayak15

Observer
Started this project on Monday and finished the top of the rack tonight. Will be building the mounting plates tomorrow and hopefully getting it all together by Valentine's Day. Will post the finished project once it's on The truck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423711799.576483.jpg

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I have had a Yakima system on my Snug-Top fiberglass shell since 1998 with no problems and no leaks. Loads have been heavy enough to collapse the crossbars (too much lumber) and still no leaks and no cracks, just badly bent bars. The Yakima towers that I used fit into tracks that get screwed to the shell with backing plates inside, and the towers are designed to pivot on their mounts, so when the load collapsed the bars, the towers just leaned inward a little to compensate. When I installed the tracks, I pumped the screw holes full of clear RTV silicone to seal them. Have had a similar system on another truck since 2005 with no issues.

FlatlinesUp

Adventurer
I modded the top rail on mine when I added a 52" led and limb risers. I'm very happy with the way it works all the way around. 1621660_10204118895466010_7354935212185317571_n.jpg

kayak15

Observer
Details? That Contractor Rack looks great. What Leer shell is that?

The rack is custom made from 1.5" square tubing. My neighbor helped make it. And not sure what model Leer. It's almost 20 years old though (came off a 1996 Dodge that had it from day one I was told). I will try to find a data plate or something on the inside of it. Working on building a sleeping platform/drawer system this weekend.

More pics to come and thanks for the compliment!

Kevin

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The metal on the newer trucks is sure thin. I rocked an Aluminess contractor style rack that was mounted at the corners. The rack itself had some give but when we rocked it the metal in the front corners of a 2013 F-250 was bowing slightly. I'm sure this would happen on any brand.A six pt mount would help.

Last edited:

coop74

Old Camping Dude
here is my version

Here is my version of the camper shell roof rack...

9cBCmG_1GxM2GP4aHCMGqkjrbnHEz3-0TrpEVBeGsTlyYUdiLoyFtOh_3i7AUS9eBL5syGlon7hvSPnr8S-TWv2UVXtb7e8SKpaynLt6SBuQ5Gt1YEjbtr5SCFZkfLrGciqakTOWhfJKnSM9ruvEBpJJgZQyDtRV0vJqZSMsvCPuvj0nhq9wurVZBFwLy3Mz9yol26V1BfgkocCF6LQYDEL7nfO9souOBZZw4IfTvkHwvxykG-KbWHnbOIbfzred8YTjupBVwgbMEoTS9QgRkakglWd6w7hpnpzOp-Fct3U-izr9pQWteCoU7IY0LlToBatgn5XH4OhcjUC-r2Q2qjP0ES-dgF0ZozZ0Drc5NLtLZhQR0lrJKhtW6rpNCVa4T076X6qx1SITdld_YB6AT1aWVCvD27RPZMO3bVLd4kbOlDei7G1cXpq_ml-dXgxjrm3OIOsQtsA_T1Eu2P9R-wzRGd9qqV5RCFgqB52fTyeE5MJIKabYAF1Jp-kBbBLzxKi-wNd5PUWB7gktFOqTEN0hr0ZcY5Sd1PY2C3VFZ5k8r2CCMVfJPEI1UvpamEYEPoFDGF43aG9Gq8M4xntbdW2QkxC7ncsaquCRY5pZsC0TjRPO=w1208-h906-no

Since this thread was brought back to life. Here's mine. Low profile was a very high priority. Went w a rail bolted to shell, with big plates underneath. this way I can take off my flat platform and have just the rails sitting there. I can also make and fasten whatever I want to the existing rail.The surface area of the rail was greater than the surface area of the plates I was gonna use for the feet on top. Makes for greater load distribution. I had thought of making an internal support system. But this has had 3 adult males on the top w no issues. The white sheet is called duraplate. I got it from work. It's a lot heavier than I'd like so I drill like 1000 holes in it. This lightened it some but not as much as I'd like. It does give me infinite tie down options though. And this was my first big aluminum project. Tons of mig steel work but not much aluminum. The dumb guns kept jackin up my welds. They look like pooh. Oh well.....View attachment 364277

Also, why do my pics get rotated randomly when adding directly to the site?? Whatever :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 54

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
Here's my setup, Century camper shell with second generation(95-00) Explorer roof rails and a curt roof basket with an extension. Everything was a perfect fit besides the basket sitting a tad high for my liking. The setup does seem quite strong as I've sat in the basket and the camper shell made zero noises under the weight, only thing I want to change is I plan on adding a third explorer cross bar right in the middle under the extension to balance weight better

anotherjoe

So if one was going to go the route of an internal frame to support the rack, what would be better?

A sandwich plate on each side of the fiberglass with bolts going through holes in the glass and through each plate or the same setup but with sleeves cut to the fiberglass thickness so that the bolts can be tight but not compress the fiberglass?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz