1988 Samurai Tin Top.

Toyman01

Adventurer
Mr Ed, sorry I missed responding your post. The engine swap used the Samurai transmission and transfer case and a adapter plate.

The main reason I did a diff gear swap is the 5.38s 3rd members came with the Samurai when I bought it. At the time I figured a 3800 rpm cruise wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong about that. It would be acceptable for a trailer queen, but not for a adventure traveler.

My thought for doing a diff gear swap again are as follows. The 6.5 TC gear set, which is what I would need, is $600. They would give me a 3051 rpm cruise at 55 mph. The 4.57 diff gears are $378 for both. They would give me a 3110 rpm cruise at 55. The diff gear swap will also correct my speedometer. Granted the TC gears would give me a better low range gearing, but I'm not going to be doing a lot of rock crawling with this rig.

mr_ed

Toolbag
Gotcha. Well it sure is a nice Samurai man! I'm jealous of the lack of rust!

Ed

Mr Ed, sorry I missed responding your post. The engine swap used the Samurai transmission and transfer case and a adapter plate.

The main reason I did a diff gear swap is the 5.38s 3rd members came with the Samurai when I bought it. At the time I figured a 3800 rpm cruise wouldn't be too bad. I was wrong about that. It would be acceptable for a trailer queen, but not for a adventure traveler.

My thought for doing a diff gear swap again are as follows. The 6.5 TC gear set, which is what I would need, is $600. They would give me a 3051 rpm cruise at 55 mph. The 4.57 diff gears are $378 for both. They would give me a 3110 rpm cruise at 55. The diff gear swap will also correct my speedometer. Granted the TC gears would give me a better low range gearing, but I'm not going to be doing a lot of rock crawling with this rig.

Toyman01

Adventurer
Nothing new but I have put some miles on it.

I put about 150 miles on it this weekend. Exploring around home has been a lot of fun.

Here's a teaser.

20140316_153255_zps0f8bf163.jpg

The rest of it is here.

Ill be adding to that thread as the miles add up. I'll be adding to this one as the Samurai evolves.

Last edited:

Hodaka

Adventurer
Cool pics! The only things around here that old are rocks, some of the trees, and the odd pictograph.

Toyman01

Adventurer
I have added several circuits to the electrical system to power the air compressor, inverter, etc. When I wired them I used inline fuses and tied them straight to the battery. Elegant it wasn't, even if it was serviceable. I replaced all the inline fuses yesterday evening with this.

20140321_173501_zpsaadabe30.jpg

This, being a auxiliary fuse panel for a boat. It's mounted under the hood right beside the battery. Since it's a marine fuse panel, all the hardware is stainless.

20140321_173443_zps523d2117.jpg

One more little thing crossed off the list. :sombrero:

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Had a friend who had a Sammy back in high school. Loved that rig. I'd love to have one as clean and nice looking as yours.

Toyman01

Adventurer
Another update.

I've been hauling a canoe on the roof racks some, but if the family wants to go I need to haul two canoes, life jackets, cooler, and 4 people. That means hauling a trailer and that means I need a hitch. Unfortunately, I cut off the original hitch because it interfered with the rear shackle mounts. Time to dig out the welder. :ylsmoke:

I wanted a bolt on hitch that would be durable enough to be my rear tow point as well as accept a receiver mounted winch. This is what I built.

20140421_191639_zpsfa672590.jpg

It started out life as a hitch for a Chevy Venture. It was 1/2 inch too wide for the Samurai frame. A little cutting and welding solved that problem.

It mounts up under the bumper nicely and is held on by 4 grade 8 1/2" bolts. It should be plenty strong enough for anything I use it for.

20140422_182116_zpsfbbf2430.jpg

The trailer I will be towing is this one. It was acquired from a friend for free. Originally it hauled kayaks. I will be converting it to a camping/canoe hauler. It will be going under the knife soon. I will probably do a separate build thread for it.

20140422_184118_zpsvkezdcmt.jpg

More to come as it happens.

rabies

time is running out.....
very nice. i spy a kitty kat.
the plate the hitch ball bolts to, i would weld a gusset from it to the square tubing that slides into the receiver dealy. can tell its slightly tilted down

Toyman01

Adventurer
very nice. i spy a kitty kat.
the plate the hitch ball bolts to, i would weld a gusset from it to the square tubing that slides into the receiver dealy. can tell its slightly tilted down

That's my generator moving hitch. It was the only trailer I had with a 1 7/8 coupler. The camping trailer will probably end up with something like this.

hitch14.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94