"RDV" Rapid Deployment Vehicle"

bob91yj

Resident **************
I'm fortunate that I have commuter cars and a few specialty vehicles to boot. None of them are going to survive an around the world trip, but they meet our "adventure travel" needs.

I've thought the SHTF scenario through a time or two. I'm no prepper, but if the SHTF and I could get to my truck, I would be self sufficient for a week or so just off of the random provisions that live in the camper. With enough time, I could load the trailer with either Jeep (if I ever get off my dead *** and get the rock Jeep off of jack stands in my back yard:sombrero:), or flat tow either to get to a "safer" location. In my head I'd try to get to the local desert. I think/speak SoCal desert rat WAY better than I speak SoCal urban/suburban slang, when it comes to chaos.

silverton2011002.jpg

2011bajaextravaganza113.jpg

wreckingball035.jpg

My problem is I work 30 miles from my house. If there are bridge failures, etc, I'd give it hell, but my '92 Miata commuter car doesn't have much of a break over angle, probably wouldn't be able to get home very easily.

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
My problem is I work 30 miles from my house. If there are bridge failures, etc, I'd give it hell, but my '92 Miata commuter car doesn't have much of a break over angle, probably wouldn't be able to get home very easily.

Time to put a 6" lift and some TIRES on the ol' Miata! Build day at Bob's!

jkosten

Observer
This should be interesting to watch. I also have a 06 Mega 5.9. I have a full suspension kit under it and will be adding on board air and air bags this weekend. Because my wife wanted to be comfortable when camping (now glamping) we purchased a 23' toy hauler. It is s home away from home, and is ready to go. I try to leave the water and fuel tanks full (we go out every month). It is handy having the full rear loading door/ramp and on board fuel station / bath / kitchen / gen set.

I also learned after driving my last dodge (1996 12v) for over 3 years, a cheap commute car will save a lot money. Plus it is really nice having a spare vehicle when servicing or doing major repairs. When we get back from trips I can back the truck and trailer in, and not worry about unhooking in order to get to work.

Good luck with your build and if you have any Dodge questions, I have lots of knowledge to share.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

eugene

Explorer
One of the things I did, since I'm stuck living in the city anyway, was to move as close to work as possible. This way the time/cost to commute is nil so I don't have to have a separate commuter vehicle.
I made a good toolkit that will stuff way back under the back seat hidden well. Then I mounted the camper battery under the hood of the truck, removing weight from the camper and eliminating the need for any kind of battery maintainer. I've found there is enough space between the transfer case and gas tank that I'm going to mount the water tank there, once I decide where to make the fill connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles