"RDV" Rapid Deployment Vehicle"

doc holiday

Adventurer
I'm going to start a thread basing my vehicle on a "ready to go" In a moments notice type plan. I want to have my vehicle ready to go with all my gear in it with the exception of clothing type articles . Anyone else have this in play already? I'll get some pics up soon I have a 2006 ram mega cab I will be using as my base. Stay tuned!

McBride

Adventurer
I'm going to start a thread basing my vehicle on a "ready to go" In a moments notice type plan. I want to have my vehicle ready to go with all my gear in it with the exception of clothing type articles . Anyone else have this in play already? I'll get some pics up soon I have a 2006 ram mega cab I will be using as my base. Stay tuned!

Indeed, but I have the clothes too.

Sentinelist

Adventurer
Same here- that's why I'm putting a solar tender on my batteries. I'm also building up my rig to be ready at a moment's notice, and do keep my gear including clothes in it. Oh, snow shovel? Check. Boots? Check. 900A battery charger? Check.

Bulk? Space? Weight? Yet another reason to buy more truck than you need.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I have my all around rig pretty much ready roll since it's not my DD. Are you guys doing this to your DD? My DD i just got will have very basic stuff for weight reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Bug Out Vehicle is the normal term used in the prepparedness circles for this type of thing.

All my 4wd's have been kept in a ready to roll state as much as possible since I got into the hobby.
Other than times when I was doing mod's and stuff had to be out of the rig I try to keep all the gear, camping kit, heat tolerable foods, clothing, and pretty much enough to let the family jump in and roll out of town "right now"

My next steps will be to add a solar panel so I can do as I have in the past and keep the fridge going 24/7. That will let me keep more water & foods ready to go.
I do daily drive my rig which helps if the SHTF as I would already be rolling and just have to grad up family.

Another important thing is to plan your escape route, back up route and "you must be crazy" route. Living in central Phoenix means I have terrible get out of town options. However owning a 4wd means I can run some of the Salt River bed and I have kept on eye on things as different projects have been built along the river.
Also remember everyone else will be trying to escape so plan accordingly.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I keep my camping gear stored in my rig at all times, I have a small house so it is an ideal place to keep it. I figure if SHTF I could grab my go bag of clothes, food, and spare gas cans in very short order and be rolling out. Thankfully I live in the suburbs and have access to a dozen ways out of the area.

XRrider

Observer
One question for 'bug out' 'rdv' and 'shtf' rigs. Where ya'll going? I live in a rural farming community so I'm not surrounded by a booming metropolis, also have an 'off grid' cabin in the woods in the arrowhead of MN. My truck is such a thirsty pig it'd be tough to bug out too much further than my cabin 3 hours away.

docdave

Aspiring overlander
I'm not all that worried about SHTF, but I don't always know when the opportunity might present itself to go campin' so.... pretty much keep it ready to go 3 seasons. Even dry and canned foods, sleeping stuff and some camping designated clothes, a quick bag to pack, and we're off.

Clutch

<---Pass
One question for 'bug out' 'rdv' and 'shtf' rigs. Where ya'll going? I live in a rural farming community so I'm not surrounded by a booming metropolis, also have an 'off grid' cabin in the woods in the arrowhead of MN. My truck is such a thirsty pig it'd be tough to bug out too much further than my cabin 3 hours away.

It would be nice to have a dedicated camping vehicle, that is kept stock all the time. I find it a pain in the butt having to load and unload stuff. Be nice just to jump in and go.

Yeah, the "Bug Out" vehicle is kinda silly really....the preppers type, tend to think they will be the ones that survive the first wave of the apocalypse.
zombie3.gif
LOL

98dango

Expedition Leader
My wife and I are very spontaneous at camping. So all our gear is kept in totes can be loaded in minuets. We own 3 rigs so the ability to load any of them quickly is key for us.

As for bug out my wife works 50 miles away and I work 3 miles from home. We can meet some where if needed.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
It would be nice to have a dedicated camping vehicle, that is kept stock all the time. I find it a pain in the butt having to load and unload stuff. Be nice just to jump in and go.

Yeah, the "Bug Out" vehicle is kinda silly really....the preppers type, tend to think they will be the ones that survive the first wave of the apocalypse.
zombie3.gif
LOL

Like my friends and I joke, "You know how I know you're not going to survive whatever disaster you're 'prepping' for? You're telling me your plans."

I hate the nickname prepper and the fad it's become, but keeping a vehicle ready is just good sense. Even if you're not in an area rife with hurricanes, earthquakes, and forest fires, there could still be things like a nearby train derailment leaking chemicals that may necessitate a speedy withdrawal.

Clutch

<---Pass
My wife and I are very spontaneous at camping. So all our gear is kept in totes can be loaded in minuets. We own 3 rigs so the ability to load any of them quickly is key for us.

I do that too, everything is on a shelf ready to go...maybe I am getting lazy as I age, would be nice to have a dedicated camper. I guess I could do that to my Westfalia...but I won't take it where I like to camp. Actually selling the VW because I won't use it...it is too nice to go beat on. Maybe I'll buy a car and turn the Tacoma into a dedicated camp rig.

Like my friends and I joke, "You know how I know you're not going to survive whatever disaster you're 'prepping' for? You're telling me your plans."

I hate the nickname prepper and the fad it's become, but keeping a vehicle ready is just good sense. Even if you're not in an area rife with hurricanes, earthquakes, and forest fires, there could still be things like a nearby train derailment leaking chemicals that may necessitate a speedy withdrawal.

LOL

A small emergency kit makes sense...some of those guys are loons with all their stock piles. Shoot, if the apocalypse comes...I hope I go quick in the first blast. :D

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Thats why many of us use campers.

Load it and go.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I do that too, everything is on a shelf ready to go...maybe I am getting lazy as I age, would be nice to have a dedicated camper. I guess I could do that to my Westfalia...but I won't take it where I like to camp. Actually selling the VW because I won't use it...it is too nice to go beat on. Maybe I'll buy a car and turn the Tacoma into a dedicated camp rig.

LOL

A small emergency kit makes sense...some of those guys are loons with all their stock piles. Shoot, if the apocalypse comes...I hope I go quick in the first blast. :D

I have built dedicated rigs and they just don't fit our life. I am constantly working on our rigs so being able to swap rigs is great. I do have a winch on 2 out of 3 wife is just not ready for a winch on the tahoe.

Preppers we are not ready for a situation we may encounter in the winters of Montana yes we are.

Clutch

<---Pass
I have built dedicated rigs and they just don't fit our life. I am constantly working on our rigs so being able to swap rigs is great. I do have a winch on 2 out of 3 wife is just not ready for a winch on the tahoe.

Preppers we are not ready for a situation we may encounter in the winters of Montana yes we are.

Thats why many of us use campers.

Load it and go.

Yeah, I keep on debating on getting a car of some sorts for a DD....and convert the Tacoma into a full time camper. Would like a new Tacoma or Tundra too....can't really make up my mind. I am an indecisive SOB.... ;) plus a frugal SOB, usually just end up thinking...ahh, just keep the money in the bank and don't spend anything.

As for preppers, all you need to be is a better shot... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles