New old Alaskan 8' cab over

ripperj

Explorer
Picked this up today, not what I originally figured on getting,but it was priced right and in real nice shape. The aluminum exterior is great, a bit of touch up paint and some wax and she will be good to go. The interior had all the appliances removed, so som work there, but I have a wood shop and enjoy that kind of thing. The manual hydraulic lift works great.
my Ram 2500 handles it nicely. I only have a 6. 5 bed, but it does not stick out too far.

The previous owner had just bought a new fantastic fan and heavy duty tripod jacks, not too mention replacing a hydraulic lift cylinder.
I plan on making boxes for my Honda 2000 and a propane tank to fill in the gaps due to the short bed.
u5yqa4ud.jpg
synesy2e.jpg
ajyvu7up.jpg
satabaha.jpg
tade8e7y.jpg
myzybuda.jpg

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

seeNik48

Adventurer
It looks like you will have a great project especially since you have a shop. Good find and it appears to be in solid shape for 25 years old. Happy trails.

ripperj

Explorer
You can't be afraid to dive in! I suspected there was some rot along the bottom of the curb side topwall( below the window, and around the arch by the cab over.

It was a pain to get to, as I want to reuse the siding. The bottom pc is iffy,but my neighbor has a siding brake.

ripperj

Explorer
These things are pretty simple, but well constructed. A couple 2x2s and some 3/4" ply and I will have this all cleaned up. Someone had done a nice job on the other side in the somewhat recent past, so this is the extent of the rot. The bottom of the camper is in good shape, and I poked around at all the corners- all looks real sound.
once the side is fixed I can concentrate on the fun stuff, the cabinets and appliances. I need to shoehorn a cassette toilet and a shower in here somewhere.
gy4y8e2e.jpg
5a8ebasu.jpg
egege9ug.jpg

Some hacker had used this ( six of them)to attempt to get to some solid wood in the arch area to hold the weather stripping on:)
eny7aryr.jpg

Only one missed :)

nytateza.jpg

ripperj

Explorer
All in now!
Just ordered Arb 50qt fridge.
Thetford cassette toilet.
Water tank and pump, plus 6 gallon hot water heater (wanted tank less, but read bad things)

I really want the toilet Fwd curb corner, but getting the cassette out in the living quarters seem gross, and I don't want to go thru the Fwd wall, because I can't do it on the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles