1999 Dodge 2500 CTD Build AKA Priscilla

mib1392

Observer
Hi everybody,
we made it to the Built-thread section :)

We are new to the forum and the US, here's my initial thread in the CA/NV section (I know, might be a little misplaced).
This was/is our expedition rig back in Germany, but he's not here :(
Here is his latest adventure, the big one to the east.

IMG_9378.JPG

We arrived 3 weeks ago in California and I started looking. A F250 7.3PSD would have been nice, but they are huge, and a little above our budget (which is 10k for a safe-running 4x4 truck that might be able to carry a slide-in). We then looked at a Dodge 2500 ECSB with the Cummins 5.9, and the exterior size was fine to us, it can carry a slide-in when we want to upgrade, and it seems to be somewhat reliable, given some precautions (let's see how this turns out in the end). It was a constructor's car, not in great shape overall, but any mechanical issues were quickly resolved and the maintenance was on time. So, we bought her and spent quite some time on cleaning and getting out all the dirt and dust.
I know, way too much text, so here's a first pic:

GOPR7851s.jpg

It needs quite some more TLC, but the price was ok with some room left for that before we hit our limit. It has 255k miles, the engine was replaced at 75k (I guess it was a 53, not it's a 56). Transmission was replaced at 200k, the VP44 was also replaced around that time. So after all I read on the internet, the major hassles were already dealt with once. I ended up ordering a pressure gauge for a first check of the lift pump, and I'll see which one I will pick for permanent reading. I plan on a Trans temp and pressure gauge. I don't need boost, exhaust temp and so on. Any input here is welcome :)
The truck is completely stock.

The toolbox is already gone, the contractor's rack will be on craigslist soon, and we keep an eye open for camper shells (any experience, how about the fitting of non-Dodge caps?).
A basic sleeping platform will do it for us, but some time in the next months and years we keep our eyes open for a FWC or a small hardsided slide-in.
We plan on doing mostly weekend-road trips, not heavy offroading. No major mods (lift etc) are planned so far. Most miles will probably be highway from the bay area to Yosemite, Tahoe, the coast etc. Once we're done with our jobs here (which will be in 2-4 years), I fantasize on a Baja or NW-and-Canada trip (depending on the season).

Things to come in the next weeks:
- new shocks, the front right is leaking a bit and I think the others might be worn, too. Which ones are good? I read about Bilstein or Rancho? As I said, no heavy loads so far and soon, no heavy offroad, 2 people, 2 mountainbikes, some weekend-trip stuff.
I got a repair manual and figured out this will be the first repair done in the driveway.

- new tires, the ones on them right now are pretty worn down. What is a good 80road/20dirt tire that should give us a good mileage? Snow grip, offroad grip and ************ looks are not our top priority. Rather mileage, sound, and durability.

- steering: the truck is a bit wobbely on the highway. I understand this is a built-in Dodge feature. I might slowly proceed to upgrades here. Any recommendations? I thought about the DOR steering thing, which other components are reasonable to change or upgrade? So, far, I guess pretty much everything has 255k miles on it and might be in the corresponding shape. Any pictures how I can quickly determine whether I have the HD steering?

- camper shell: hopefully a raised-roof, 2-windoor, insulated ARE for 200$. I guess this won't happen, so probably whatever comes across for a good price.

- sleeping platform: we took down the box yesterday and pressured the bed. There was a whole forest in it. Let's see what we end up with. We have no equipment yet, and I think we will stick to a KISS ice cooler and a gas stove. I'm not even sure if I throw in an aux battery.

Any upgrades/hints/opinions are more than welcome.

Also, I did all the mechanics on my 1990 Volkswagen syncro van on my own. But, I came here with not a single tool and don't know anything about trucks. So, any ideas for an honest, competent mechanic on the Peninsula are welcome. I plan to do some stuff on my own, but I won't buy a complete workshop equipment here, as we will go back to Germany in 2-4 years.

Oh, yes, the name: our syncro is waiting at home for us. Bringing him to the US was not really an option. But, he will be our perfect expedition vehicle forever, and there are enough destinations for him. His name is Kalimero (which is, when written with a "C", an Italian comic figure). Calimero's girlfriend is Priscilla, so we figured out the truck's name is now also Priscilla.

So long,
I'll keep this thread updated,
Mike

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Welcome to the US, Californina, ExPo and to the Dodge truck world. :)

Without questions, shocks should be Bilstein. I have owned both over the years and I am using Bilstein exclusively. Last shocks you will need to buy.

I bought BFG AT for our Ram and have been very happy with them. The Cummins trucks are very heavy and with thoughts of a FWC or slide in at some point, I would recommend E load rated tires. There are lots of options and opinions regarding tires but many times the BFG AT's are used as the comparison point. They have just proven themselves as good all around tires and we have been happy with their on road and off road use.

Not sure what to look for regarding the HD steering. I did recently swap my '97 Ram over to the '99 HD steering and it is much beefier then my original linkage.

As for a shell, just check on Craigslist frequently. You'll be surprised that you'll likely find one fairly quickly. You'll be looking for a full size, short bed one. Most shells are fairly universal and fit a number of different brands. The shell I took of our Dodge, fit right on my Chevy that I had.

Enjoy your new truck.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Nice rig! Basically building the exact same truck. I currently have BFG AT's and they are my fourth set of four different trucks and they have always been great. However I may be going for something a little bit more aggressive with the same on road characteristics, being as ******** Cepek Fun Country 2, Mickey Thompson ATZ P3, Toyo AT2 (only 2 ply sidewall), and Cooper ATP(best price) are all looking better with their newer cuts and technology put into them. But there are rumors that BFG is putting out a new AT as well in the near future.
But you seem to have a great build going and I've subscribed to hopefully get some ideas. Oh and I got a used hi top canopy on craigslist for $250 but I had to just on it, so keep looking!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391378761.605231.jpg
Here a pic of the canopy. I had to reveal the windows, which took a couple hours but overall not bad at all for the price.

mib1392

Observer
@luckychase: I know your thread and was glad to find it. Your shell is exactly what we look for. Let's see what we get in the end. First, I need to get rid of the heavy contractor rack, and think about building plans. I guess our platform will be around 15" high, using one or two small coleman coolers as fridge and 2 foldable mattresses as bed. I'm still fighting with inches and feet. The metric system is easier for me :(

@ok, good to know about the Bilstein. It's what I would have thought of. I don't know if the BFG AT are too loud for us. That's what I had experienced with them on the Volkswagen, I ended up with General Grabber AT3 for our India-journey. But I realize trucks and 3-tons empty is different.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
Trust me you won't hear the BFG over our engine. I would argue to say that you can run any MT you want and over our, amazing, but loud as hell engine.
Oh and I love my Bilstein's, I think the 5100 were a great choice and the price wasn't bad either, I think around 300$ for all four corners

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Guten tag Mike, Bilstein 5100s and BFG ATs will serve you well. I have Toyo AT2s on my Jeep and they are a great tire also. As Herr Luckychase said, you won't hear tire noise above the diesel. 285/75-16 is a great size for your truck. It is tall enough for moderate off highway driving, but still good around town.

You may wish to contact Don Thuren at Thuren Fabrication in Bend Oregon. He is an expert with the Dodge trucks and will give you excellent advice on the steering issues you have. He is almost too honest and will point you towards the best parts for your truck, even if they are made by someone else.

For peace of mind, I would suggest you upgrade the lift pump (if it is stock, regardless of being recently replaced), with a FASS or similar. The stock ones don't last as you have read, and it gets very expensive very fast when they die.

Congratulations on your choice of truck. The 5.9 Cummins is about as good as it gets for North American diesels.

cliniford

Observer
First off I would recommend a Trans temp and pyrometer gauge as a mandatory thing.
Bilstein 5100's for shocks.
If you are fine with a MT tire, Nitto Trail Grapplers come in E load rating and my set wore like iron! I got 45,000 out of my set on my '03 quad cab and a really heavy foot! They still had 4/32 left at that.
Definitely upgrade your lift pump! VP44 are very expensive and will die very shortly after a failed lift pump.
Congrats on the great truck.

xbox73

Adventurer
For peace of mind, I would suggest you upgrade the lift pump (if it is stock, regardless of being recently replaced), with a FASS or similar. The stock ones don't last as you have read, and it gets very expensive very fast when they die.

Likewise with a fix for the 'killer dowel pin' issue on some Dodges.

Luckychase5

Adventurer
The KDP fix is more for 12 valves, but it's not a bad idea. And ya I got an AirDog ASAP. With it my truck runs smoother, quieter, starts easier and I also got about 1-3 mpg gain the 3 being on the highway.

mib1392

Observer
Hi guys,
thanks everybody for the input.
So I read and heard and you told me about the crappy Dodge lift pumps...the VP has already been replaced, together with the lift pump. There is an invoice about 3400$ about that in the folder the pre-owner gave to me. Liftpump + mounting was over 400$, so I went out to the truck one morning to see if they eventually replaced a good one. Hmm, I think they didn't. They just overcharged... The preowner ran out of fuel twice, with a broken sender from the tank. I guess that contributed to the VP killing.

I had already ordered a fuel-pressure test kit , because I figured out a lift pump exchange and/or a gauge on the dash wouldn't come immediately... but expecting bad results, I just ordered a FASS DRP this morning without prior testing (didn't yet want to go for the full program...maybe later. With the stock hp, it should be fine).
I started my HUUUUGE inch-sized tool sortiment, so I was ready to go! Let ze Tschörmän änschäniring beginn!
2014-02-05 17.47.41s.jpg
This afternoon, I then did a high-tech setup of the pressure gauge:
2014-02-05 17.42.06s.jpg
2014-02-05 17.42.43s.jpg
2014-02-05 17.42.52s.jpg

Idleing, I had a 12-13psi. Well, so far so good. No Diesel spilling, so I did a quick duck-tape secured test drive. Full throttle (in the city, so that was no more than a few seconds), pressure dropped to 5psi...good that I already ordered the pump.
I guess it drives for the moment, but I'll mount the pump as soon as possible.

My wife was also busy today. I ordered a wheelskin cover for the steering wheel, as the original leather had some tears and a huge hole on 12o'clock. I don't quite know if I should have picked black or not. The color is not a perfect match, but it's not that bad. The feeling is awesome. My wife says it's quite easy and done in about an hour.
2014-02-05 17.42.16s.jpg

For the shocks, I read back and forth, and ended up with the Bilstein (ok, I knew that before) - but with the 4600. The truck is stock height and will mostly go highway... so trying to get a better comfort there.

And tires... they are expensive :( how is it in the US, can I simply mount the 285 without any tests/DMV/whatever? In Germany, at least 2 traffic policemen would pull out their ticketing blocks then.

So far - nothing big happened. I ordered a dash board carpet. I don't know what's better, the quality of the Dodge plastic or the fitting of the carpet... must have been a wrong model they sent me, and the color is also crappy. We'll go for black then.

I hope to get the shocks done on the weekend, and get rid of that contractors rack.

Best,
Mike

blakeape

Adventurer
I just copied your lead and ordered a Wheelskin cover for my 97! Mine is totally worn out at 12 o-clock too. Thanks for the idea and good luck with the truck.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We have no TUV here, but laws on vehicle modification are different from state to state and province to province. It will be tough to find a policeman who really knows for sure what is legal and what isn't. 285s are not even remotely an issue. You have to do something obviously stupid to attract their attention.

Like this:

image_zpse877f2fc.jpg

Glad to hear you ordered a lift pump. 5 psi at full throttle is the very bottom of what the VP44 can work with.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
As Redthies stated Don Thuren's your buddy. I think I'd upgrade the shocks to his 2.0 Fox reservoir package if available from him. They run a lot cooler and he valves them for your application. I had a Geno's Garage sourced Westach fuel pressure gauge which fits perfect in the cubby hole in the dash on my '99.
As far as LP's go,I just did the Glacier relocation setup once again using the Carter cheapo pump as I bought a couple spares at the time from Cummins @ $53 ea. Never had an issue in 40K but in the event of a failure,the spare's stored in the truck and swapping it out takes about 30 minutes.

mib1392

Observer
So, I wanted to get something done this weekend - but after almost 4 weeks of California sunshine, the weather gods wanted to keep me from swinging my wrenches. Around 65° and raining, which didn't happen here for a year, I was told. I spent the Saturday with doing paperwork, but today I wanted to get something done. To be honest, 65° and slight rainshowers are perfect conditions in Germany - I did much of the Volkswagen trip preparation at 40° and pouring rain last May.

So at least I got the lift pump changed, I wanted to be on the safe side for a while, before eventually upgrading when we load more weight. So I built in the FASS DRP, which was not too hard to do. I was a bit disappointed, though, as the pressure still dropped to around 6-7 at full throttle. On the highway with 60mph, it was around 10, idleing was 15. A little bit of improvement, and I hope the FASS fail probability is lower than the stock. I'll keep the stock for emergency exchange.
Weather was rainy, and a lift pump change is quite boring for viewers... so no photos here.

I didn't change the shocks yet. Fox would have been nice, but the budget is still bit too tight for it now - my wife will hopefully soon have a job, and then we can think of bigger upgrades. Until then, the aim is a stock, basic camper with a shell.
Bilsteins are waiting to be built in. Unfortunately, I need to buy every single wrench I need...

We looked around at REI and hardware stores and chose 3.5" inflatable pads as beds and 4 or 5 of 9" really useful boxes for a platform (we bought 2 in clear plastic - they seem quite stable, you can sit on them. I'll order the "strong white" from their homepage nonetheless).

Still looking to get that rack going away - if it's not sold be next weekend, we'll drive it to the scrapyard.

@recabguy: which cubby hole do you mean? The one right to the radio? Do you have a photo of it? Still thinking about my gauge layout. Thanks!

So long,
Mike

cliniford

Observer
So, I wanted to get something done this weekend - but after almost 4 weeks of California sunshine, the weather gods wanted to keep me from swinging my wrenches. Around 65° and raining, which didn't happen here for a year, I was told. I spent the Saturday with doing paperwork, but today I wanted to get something done. To be honest, 65° and slight rainshowers are perfect conditions in Germany - I did much of the Volkswagen trip preparation at 40° and pouring rain last May.

So at least I got the lift pump changed, I wanted to be on the safe side for a while, before eventually upgrading when we load more weight. So I built in the FASS DRP, which was not too hard to do. I was a bit disappointed, though, as the pressure still dropped to around 6-7 at full throttle. On the highway with 60mph, it was around 10, idleing was 15. A little bit of improvement, and I hope the FASS fail probability is lower than the stock. I'll keep the stock for emergency exchange.
Weather was rainy, and a lift pump change is quite boring for viewers... so no photos here.

I didn't change the shocks yet. Fox would have been nice, but the budget is still bit too tight for it now - my wife will hopefully soon have a job, and then we can think of bigger upgrades. Until then, the aim is a stock, basic camper with a shell.
Bilsteins are waiting to be built in. Unfortunately, I need to buy every single wrench I need...

We looked around at REI and hardware stores and chose 3.5" inflatable pads as beds and 4 or 5 of 9" really useful boxes for a platform (we bought 2 in clear plastic - they seem quite stable, you can sit on them. I'll order the "strong white" from their homepage nonetheless).

Still looking to get that rack going away - if it's not sold be next weekend, we'll drive it to the scrapyard.

@recabguy: which cubby hole do you mean? The one right to the radio? Do you have a photo of it? Still thinking about my gauge layout. Thanks!

So long,
Mike

Just throwing this out there but when I did my first lift pump and fuel pressure gauge I had a couple air bubbles in the line to my gauge that was giving me false low readings. Just a thought but on my truck with my FASS Titanium 150 set at 15psi and my motor putting out a little shy of 475hp, if I lay into it hard my pressure will only drop to 12-13psi but when I had a couple air bubbles in my gauge line it would drop down to 4-6psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz