GPS program - layers with different waypoints on each layer?

blueskysusan

Thanks for your previous answers to my total newb question. Here's a slightly (but not much) less newb question - the options out there are a bit bewildering.

Here's what I would love to do for an upcoming trip to Vermont where we'll be driving around a lot.

I'd like to have a map on my ipad, and as we're driving around, be able to change the types of waypoints showing.

Like, I would have a bunch of photography locations, a bunch of spots I'd like to hike, a bunch of geocaches, bunch of fun roads to try, etc.

It seems like it would be great to be able to switch back and forth between sets of waypoints, so I could see only "photo locations" then switch to "geocaches".

I want to be able to put them in myself before the trip. I'm aware of apps like "near me" that will find the closest gas stations (etc).

There would be too many to handle all at once using custom waypoint icons - too much clutter.

They don't have to be official waypoints -- I'm not going to ask the ipad for directions to them or distance or anything like that. So if I can do it somehow by making custom google or other maps and getting them on the ipad somehow, that would be fine too.

(Needs to work offline, I have GPS enabled Ipad).

I have Gaia and MotionX (so far). Gaia doesn't seem to do that. MotionX might, but I couldn't tell - if someone knows for sure, I'll spend more time with it. But I like Gaia better.

Thanks!!

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I can't wholly answer your question as I'm just playing with the new-to-me app, but you might try Trimple Outdoors Navigator. It seems to have better waypoint options than MotionX.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I can't wholly answer your question as I'm just playing with the new-to-me app, but you might try Trimple Outdoors Navigator. It seems to have better waypoint options than MotionX.
On TON, it wouldn't be true overlays. But you can create waypoints categorized just like you want and call up as needed. I use TON and like it a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior