Spare tire carrier

mmuthart

Observer
Looks like you have room underneath. I used a spare tire hoist off of a LandCruiser.

Attachments

• P1000193.JPG
    P1000193.JPG
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 115
  • P1000196.JPG
    P1000196.JPG
    931.6 KB · Views: 105

Septu

Explorer
I keep thinking how I want an instant kitchen (or at least the stove). However I don't want a slide out from inside the box out over the tailgate (which I do have already). That leaves either a slideout from the front of the box on the tongue (instead of a battery nose box) or cutting a hole in the side of the box. To an extent this would be preferable as it would allow me to have a large awning down the side of the trailer to cover things (6'/8' awning down the side vs a 4'/5' awning across the back).

Another option is having it on the back with the Adventure Trailers kitchen in a Pelican case. However I also want a spare tire for the trailer.

Crappy drawing... but it should give the idea as to what I'm thinking. Tire on the outside - allows for a trasharoo, and protects the kitchen and potentially the propane tank (could go inside beside the kitchen box). Or I could have a fold down counter or something in the space beside the box.

As for the weight - which I do recognize, wouldn't this be offset to an extent with a battery, and either a water tank or jerry cans on the tongue?

Thoughts, suggestions, good idea, bad idea?

tire carrier.jpg

Box Rocket

not a bad idea but that will put a lot of weight on the back of the trailer. You will definitely want to counter that weight with things like you mentioned. The other downside to that is it will have a negative affect on the departure angle of the trailer. I've been surprised at the places I've had my trailer that seemed like no big deal but the back end of the trailer was very close to dragging. It happens more frequently than I would have thought. Just something to consider.

Looks like you have room underneath. I used a spare tire hoist off of a LandCruiser.

Can you give some more detailed pictures of that set up? While I know Land Cruisers are common knowledge on this site, I myself have never crawled under one. I am looking for a spare tire lifter ma-jig for my trailer as well. I was going to use the factory Ford spare mount under the rear of my bed but without the fuel cell it does not work so great. And it was heavy trying to wrestle the spare up for mock-up in the driveway, let alone after getting a flat in Schmeckels-ville.

Thanks for any more pictures.

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
Fab started on the tire carrier. I decided to extend the rear of the frame and put a square gate with pin on one side. When the gate is extended, I will attach my grill to it. Once it's complete, I will post pics.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:Just getta 07/11 jeep JK spare tire carrier from JC Whitney and mountit on the back of the trailer--

Tentrax538s003.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

caslim

Observer
If you are building a tongue box, put the tire on top.

Here is what I'm doing with mine currently.

IMG_20140321_100557874.jpg

luk4mud

Explorer
I just went through the same challenges, finally settled on a cradle design/ ratchet strapped spare mounted to the fender. We should have it installed by this weekend and I will post pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier