Spare tire carrier

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
I'm looking for options to carry my spare tire. The tongue is reserved for a storage box, which will store my ORB fridge and power supply. The trailer has a tailgate I want to access.

One option I found is a carrier that attached to the trailer receiver hitch http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/' very pricey option.

My second option is to have a rear swing-away rack fabricated to the trailer.

Please share pics of your options. Below is my rig as it sits today. I still need paint, add tongue box and propane tank.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/31599-Post-favorite-pics-of-your-rig-and-trailer?p=1514721#post1514721

Nick in Ca

That hitch carrier looks like it would be pretty easy to make, if your a welder, or know one. Could make it way cheaper than buy one I would think

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
I was going to suggest a stock TJ spare mount but there doesn't look to be anywhere suited for a solid mount being your tailgate folds down and not a swing out. I think I would forgo another spare and throw in a tire plug repair kit and go. You always have the Jeep spare tire to get you through it. I know it happens but I cant remember the last time I got a flat that wasn't repairable off road... Looks like something custom built is in order.

XJINTX

Explorer
Not sure what kind of wheeling you do but... do you have a spare on your rig? I too carried two spares but finally matched the trailer tires to my rig. So I only carry one spare now on my rig. Knock on wood myself or none of my buds have ever had a flat on our trailers but they don't always go where we go... used as basecamp a lot.

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
CBI makes a pretty nifty unit....and very reasonably priced.
http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/produc...products/fold-down-tire-carrier-premium-model

Just remember... you add a 100+ lbs hanginging off the *** end like that, can change the dynamics of the handling dramatically. Make sure you maintain the proper tongue weight.

The additional rear weight is a concern. I'm adding a tongue box with an ARM 50QT fridge and Arkpak. My next trip is in 10 days (camping in Death Valley), I will probably put the spare on the tongue; I'm guessing the spare and the loaded tongue box will add 150 lbs to the tongue. My final plan is to offset the rear weight with the loaded tongue box, plus 64lbs of H2O in the Rotopax. With all the creature comfort additions to my light weight expedition trailer, it's not going to be so light weight! The new wheels/tires alone add a lot of weight.

lost-adventurer

Lost and loving it...
Not sure what kind of wheeling you do but... do you have a spare on your rig? I too carried two spares but finally matched the trailer tires to my rig. So I only carry one spare now on my rig. Knock on wood myself or none of my buds have ever had a flat on our trailers but they don't always go where we go... used as basecamp a lot.

Matching tires for Jeep and trailer was the original plan...unfortunately the 37" tires made the trailer unstable and the axles wouldnt take the additional stress over the long run. I have 33" on the trailer, 37" on the JK.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader

Attachments

• $T2eC16d,!)QE9s3HF4SlBR!I9HO)Mg~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16d,!)QE9s3HF4SlBR!I9HO)Mg~~60_57.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 88
  • $T2eC16ZHJFsFFR+EYkD7BR2DZwF(R!~~60_57.jpg
    $T2eC16ZHJFsFFR+EYkD7BR2DZwF(R!~~60_57.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 90
  • _MG_1707_zpsd672b7b8.jpg
    _MG_1707_zpsd672b7b8.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 99
  • _MG_1713_zps71dac319.jpg
    _MG_1713_zps71dac319.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 100
  • _MG_2972_zps6b222bb1.jpg
    _MG_2972_zps6b222bb1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 96

JPNCA

Adventurer
Just remember... you add a 100+ lbs hanginging off the *** end like that, can change the dynamics of the handling dramatically. Make sure you maintain the proper tongue weight.

That is very true. I have a 33 on the back of my 416 which makes my tongue weight about 20 pounds. It runs smooth when empty but I do have to pay attention when loading the trailer. Without enough tongue weight it will buck and kick

I used a TJ tire mount but I don't have a tailgate
50942DFC-72FB-4DC1-95E6-A73E23D99126-107-00000002CCBB1137.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Fab one up that slides in the receiver but swings out too.
You can still use the $20.00 hinges for the pivot.

Attachments

• hg6.jpg
    hg6.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 81
  • hg11.jpg
    hg11.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 17609-lg.jpg
    17609-lg.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 87
  • TireCarrier1.jpg
    TireCarrier1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Box Rocket

This is a great option, but I need a fabricator/welder. My trailer is narrow and I can't block the tail lights.
ruger11.jpg
Manufacturer's photo.

Does anyone know a good fab/welder in Salt Lake City? :Wow1:

A center mounted spare like the one on my swing out would not block those tail lights. Where in Utah are you? You could come by and take a look at mine up close if you wanted. I'm in Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier