HJ45 Troop Carrier with Trakka Pop-Top

stringtwelve

Observer
Here's an intro to my 1980 "Troopy".

The specs are as follows:

1980 HJ-45 (Currently non-diesel)
Trakka Pop-Top and custom camping interior.
Chevy 350 V8 with new Quadrajet
Toyota 40 series power steering (RHD)
Toyota H55F 5-speed Transmission
Toyota LX rear axle with parking brake at wheels
Aftermarket air-conditioning
Ironman suspension with 285/70R17 KM2's on American Racing Mojave Wheels
Front and rear 3.73's
Long Ranger fuel tank (~49 gallons total capacity IIRC)
Brand new Die Hard Platinum 34/78 battery

My build is currently on IH8MUD but I'm here for expedition build ideas. It's time to get this thing expedition ready!

20140202_095538.jpg

20140202_093120.jpg

20140105_142009.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm looking forward to your build input! :)

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WOWY WOW WOW!!! That's really cool man, great truck and tanks for sharing aye... I've never heard of Trakka Pop-tops, but I love seeing one on a 45-troopy. VERY cool rig (I love the rims too, classic style with some modern, good looking rims is a great style in my eyes).

Cheers

Dave

Maverick1701

Adventurer
very sharp troopy! I would love to find one of those here in the states....unfortunately the ones here cost an arm & leg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Now that these are past the 25yr old import rule it will be great to see more of them in the USA...but I doubt we will see many with that cool a pop top as they are not common in australia.

Great looking rig and having owned a RHD myself it is fun just as a daily driver.

Check out the Sportsmobiles and other 4wd vans for interior build out ideas. Keep the wgt to a min and low and please please post up trip reports of your fun in the desert southwest.

stringtwelve

Observer
Thanks, everyone! We were very fortunate to find such a one-of-a-kind family toy. My primary focus is to get all the kinks worked out and the right bells and whistles installed for our needs. One day I may do a frame off restoration but usually that leads to a trailer queen mindset. Gonna enjoy her and use it like it was intended! :smiley_drive:

Great looking truck. It looks like I may not be to far from you. Let me know if you ever want to go wheeling.

I might take you up on that. Where do you like to wheel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles