Iceland advice for baby steps

I have a question.
In my budget I can either rent a new 4x4 like a duster or Grand Vitara 4x4 manual, or get a old land cruiser 90 series with 33"-35" tires.

We will be going in the first 2 weeks of october now.

Does it make sense to get the bigger tire stuff during that time?
Or will the F roads be closed so no point renting a less fuel efficient old vehicle with big tires.

Can you guys tell me about some roads in early october which are doable with big tire LC, but not duable with Grand Vitara or Duster Jimny etc.,?

In Iceland there is about 2% of the roads that really can't be done without big wheels to bridge the gaps or require high flotation.
When it comes to making your way across a snowcoveret interiour of Iceland, I would strongly advice against doing it as a solo vehicle. There are too many things that could go wrong - local knowledge of the terrain and what lies ahead is essencial in that situation.

So with that in mind, I see no need to rent a big brawny 4x4 as it would be unsafe to use it - where it really was required. Instead for trips that involves that kind of 4x4 action, hop on a guided tour and enjoy what these highly modified vehicles can do under safe local supervision.

Most of the huge modified 4x4's in the Icelandic tourism industry, are there because they look spectacular. But for the majority of Iceland, your standart 4x4 G-wagen, Defender, Patrol, Landcruiser or Niva will perform just fine. Just don't drive in 0.5m of powder snow - thats where flotation is king.

overl4nder

Observer
In Iceland there is about 2% of the roads that really can't be done without big wheels to bridge the gaps or require high flotation.
When it comes to making your way across a snowcoveret interiour of Iceland, I would strongly advice against doing it as a solo vehicle. There are too many things that could go wrong - local knowledge of the terrain and what lies ahead is essencial in that situation.

So with that in mind, I see no need to rent a big brawny 4x4 as it would be unsafe to use it - where it really was required. Instead for trips that involves that kind of 4x4 action, hop on a guided tour and enjoy what these highly modified vehicles can do under safe local supervision.

Most of the huge modified 4x4's in the Icelandic tourism industry, are there because they look spectacular. But for the majority of Iceland, your standart 4x4 G-wagen, Defender, Patrol, Landcruiser or Niva will perform just fine. Just don't drive in 0.5m of powder snow - thats where flotation is king.

Thanks a Ton. Due to big chance of F35 being closed, we will do the ring road tour, as well as west fjords.
But there is a dilemma
Jymny with GPS for 950 EUR
Or duster without GPS for 1150 EUR?

I have a feeling that Jymny with low range will always be better, but then duster is diesel so better mileage(Equalizing the price difference due to higher mileage).
What are your thoughts?

I know the Jimny is a great little offroader and lot's of fun to drive. The Duster is unknown to me, I have only seen a picture on a billboard but I got the impression it is supposed to be a larger and more comfortable vehicle?
I would say it all depends what you have planned to do. If you intend to carry a wellstocked camera bag, a sturdy tripod and some extra toys together with your normal travel gear. Then the smaller car get's old very fast. Nothing more taxing for your enjoyment, than having to move stuff all the time.
There is bound to be days on your Icelandic trip, where you will be freezing your rear end off, when shooting pictures. Personally I prefer not having to struggle when repacking the vehicle.

I would not worry too much about gas milage and the cost of that. When you add it all up, it's just a drop in the ocean.

polaramike

Hi!

While the Suzuki Jimmy is quite capable even in stock configuration, the Dacia Duster is more or less a "look-good" SUV rather than a real offroad-capable 4x4.

Aside of that: There will be short detours or "pocket" F-roads you might encounter and want to try. F-roads are officially prohibited for "normal" cars and only allowed by "real" 4x4's to keep unexperienced tourists with their normal rental cars off of that roads and thus minimize damage to the cars and recovery effort and costs by the roadside assiustance.

Keep in mind that this year has been quite wet so far. Most fords we encountered this year (returned from Iceland 3 weeks agao) ranged from 1 to around 2 feet depth, some deeper. I definitely wouldn't want to try that in a Dacia. We encountered a handful of Suzuki Jimmies here or there on F-roads and they did quite well. I also know these little Suzies from various offroad events here in Germany and often they get thru where even the Landrovers and Toyotas fail. Might not look like much, especially when you're used to car sizes in the US, but the small size and weight in fact is an advantage in that terrain.

If I had to choose a rental car for Iceland and had to look for the bucks, I'd go for the Suzuki. Thank God, there is a ferry from Denkmark and we can take our FJ Cruiser :)

Mike

overl4nder

Observer
I know the Jimny is a great little offroader and lot's of fun to drive. The Duster is unknown to me, I have only seen a picture on a billboard but I got the impression it is supposed to be a larger and more comfortable vehicle? .

Hi!

If I had to choose a rental car for Iceland and had to look for the bucks, I'd go for the Suzuki. Thank God, there is a ferry from Denkmark and we can take our FJ Cruiser :)

Mike

Thanks for your anwers
Duster is larger, but my camera gear fits in one bag + tripod. We are 2 people only so size is not an issue. For example, we were comfortable in a mini in norway. Threw down the rear bench!

However, I am told Jimny will be horrible on gravel roads, and will do well only "offroad".

Since F roads are closed, I am leaning towards the ride comfort of Duster. Having an achy back after 5-6 hours of drive is not an idea of fun.

That said, the Grand Vitara is also within our budget. I guess that is a good compromise

Grand Vitara is also a fine touring vehicle. Often overlooked due to it's plastic apperance - but it will perform well in most situations you will encounter.

One thing to remember, no matter what vehicle you end up driving. Is to be a bit gentle with the speed on gravel roads. It's no fun comming round a bend, having to sverve and the car get's out of control.
On every ferrytrip leaving Iceland, there is at least 2-3 tourist cars with severe damages. Many from gravel road accidents, a few from watercrossings (done that myself).

The local drivers likes to go at supersonic speeds on gravel surface. It's a special skill that has to be learned thru a lifetime.

polaramike

Hi!

Johnny is right, the Grand Vitara is an option - and not the worst one! There are also some capable Nissans for rent.

The problem with people driving stupid on gravel is overestimating their own skills in combination with lack of experience. This is not a rallye, it's a public road.

However, have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Mike

overl4nder

Observer
thanks guys you have been of great help.
I shared my plan with the carsiceland.com guys (they have GV and Duster both in similar price bracket).
His advice is that most serious F roads are closed, and for small water and bit of snow and slush duster will do well. For over 3000kms of running, he says duster will save us a fair bit of money too!

So Duster it is I guess!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles