For Sale: 1982 Toyota LandCruiser FJ60

jaxonm

Observer
SOLD - For Sale: 1982 Toyota LandCruiser FJ60

SOLD

Unfortunately, I need to part with my recently completed FJ60.
photo(2).JPG

This has been a ground up re-build over the last 4 years with a focus on becoming a solid expedition ready vehicle. Beginning with a solid, low rust 1982 FJ60 with a recently rebuilt original motor, I have gone through nearly every system in the vehicle with a focus on reliability, drivability and longevity. This is truly a LandCruiser that will last another 32 years with basic maintenance. The build thread is available on my site, and a nearly complete photo essay is available on Flicker.

Again, beginning with a vehicle that had a recent motor rebuild with clutch replacement, I have over the last 4 years completed the following;
  • All vacuum lines and check valves replaced
  • Carburator rebuild
  • Dash and instruments completely taken apart, cleaned, painted etc.
  • All wiring cleaned up and any questionable wires removed or replaced.
  • Front Axel completely rebuilt
  • Rear Axel completely rebuilt
  • Suspension completely rebuilt with OME Dakar heavy with the Man-A-Fre shackle reversal kit
  • All components below the frame custom powder coated (axel tubes, skid plates, steering rods, sway bar, spring plates, etc)
  • Steering completely rebuilt with quality (OEM style) components
  • Drive shafts completely rebuilt, lengthened and balanced with NEW high quality U-Joints from Drive Line Services in Ventura
  • Rear brakes completely rebuilt with all new components including springs, drums, wheel cylinders, etc
  • Front brakes completely rebuilt: calipers rebuilt, new rotors
  • Front hubs, completely rebuilt and powder coated
  • Headlight wiring upgrade
  • Upgraded battery cables
  • Optima Yellow Top Battery
  • New power steering pump
  • New Alternator
  • New clutch master and slave cylinders
  • Stainless Steel battery trays installed (2 trays, ready for dual battery system)
  • Safai Snorkel installed (sale includes 2 air cleaner housings: one modified for snorkel, one stock)
  • Wagon Gear under seat storage
  • Wagon Gear tailgate storage
  • SOR sliding cargo windows
  • ARB front winch bumper
  • 4+ rear bumper, with customized locking jerry can carrier (Jerry Cans, Bumper)
  • Full length rack by Front Runner Outfitters
  • Simpson III Roof Top Tent
  • Interior completely rebuilt
  • New Headliner
  • Custom sun visors installed
  • FatMat noise and heat insulation throughout the interior, including full length of the floor, roof, inside doors, tailgate and cargo panels (Think Dynamat, but thicker)
  • Completely re-carpeted with custom carpet throughout (Pic 1, Pic 2)
  • Completely custom door panels with speaker pods hand made (pics)
  • Leather front seats, steering wheel and rear view mirror (with map lights) out of a junk yard '95 Toyota 4Runner (not the greatest shape, but WAY better than the originals)
  • Brand new upholstery on the rear seat from Cruiser Corps. Will provide pic.
  • Brand new seat belts, front and rear, including shoulder belts for the rear seats.
  • Dash grab handle from an FJ62 installed
  • 10" Locking Tuffy center console
  • Black steel wheels, 15x10
  • 33x12.5 BFG All Terrains including full sized spare with 95% life left
  • FJ-62 mirrors from Cool Cruisers of Texas
  • Totally custom paint done in 3 colors: The roof is white, the body is flat tan and the window surrounds are black
  • 100% new weather stripping throughout, including windshield, doors, door glass, rear window, cargo windows, etc
  • Brand new grille, marker lights, etc.
  • Brand new headlights that include replaceable H4 elements (current bulbs are )
  • Great lengths to remove ALL rust. This is an original California car, so if you think yours is rust free, I bet I could find some.
  • Complete Alpine stereo system including Alpine IDA-X305S head unit, Alpine PDX-5 5-channel amplifier, Alpine Type R 8" subwoofer in custom sub/amp enclosure, Alpine SPR-60C 6-3/4" separates in the front, and Alpine SPR-50 5-1/4" rear door speakers. The system is not overly loud or boomy, just good clean sound. (photos coming)
  • Firestick antenna with spring base WagonGear's antenna mount, FireRing antenna cable and CB/HAM/AM/FM splitter.

image-1476807405.jpg

Included in the sale are the factory service manuals (FSM), boxes of spares, complete A/C upgrade to R134 kit, and more!

In the interest of full disclosure, her is a list of the things that this vehicle still needs;
  • Although they are in great working order, I have not personally gone through the transmission or transfer case
  • I have not personally been inside the motor, but oil pressure, vacuum and compression are all well within range.
  • Smog system, although functional (passed the last ca smog test fine), is getting on in age and has not had a complete go through. As with most FJ60's at this point, they would all do better with all that crap torn off and brought down to a minimal vacuum and mechanical system.
  • Front window regulators are very tight. I may pull the panels back off and see if I can't free them up a little before sale
  • The amp and speaker enclosure currently takes up the PS rear cargo area and looks great. I have not completed the DS cargo cover, but have all the parts (including matching carpet) to do so.
  • I recovered the dash myself and, it could be better. Take a look at it here. You can see the wrinkles in the corners. I would be happy to source a new panel and put on a cover if this offends the buyer.
  • As mentioned, the front seats are out of a junk yard 95 4Runner and are a little beat. I would be happy to source replacements if necessary.
  • Dual battery trays are in place, but the second battery and the system to support it are not.

There are a total of 260,000 miles on the vehicle, but the bulk of the mechanical work on this vehicle has been done within the last 5,000 miles. The motor (to my knowledge), has less than 10,000 on the rebuild. The paint, body and interior are about a year old, and have less than 2,000 miles.

Obviously, no expense was spared in the construction of this vehicle, as it was intended to be my Fairbanks to Ushuaia expedition vehicle. Unfortunately, life happens and I must part with this vehicle to free up cash for family related needs. With luck, I will be able to one day build another expo vehicle and live the open road dream that I have had for so many years now. In the mean time, this would be a great place to start for anyone wanting to get into a VERY well built FJ60 without paying TLC prices.

I think that's it. More may come to me later and I will update as it does.

Oh, the price: $17k without the roof top tent. Open to negotiations of course. PM me for offers/questions, or feel free to email jaxonm (at) earthlink (.) net.

Part on this rig come from all over, but the best vendors that I have worked with include:
Thanks all!
Jaxon

Last edited:

jaxonm

Observer
Thanks Woodsman!

Also included (and added to original post), factory service manuals, tons of receipts, boxes and boxes of extras, including a complete AC conversion to R134 kit which includes valves and dryer.

jaxonm

Observer
A couple more pictures...

Camping in Ojai Ca
946501_10152836892735716_354977537_n.jpg

Camping in Ojai Ca
575761_10152836892730716_1411321506_n.jpg

On the way up towards Horseshoe Meadows prior to our Mt Whitney climb back in July '13
1052425_10200613674119114_1301167210_o.jpg

jaxonm

Observer
Pulled together some more pictures of the 60. Interior shots as promised, and some glamor shots as well.

Parked at the shop after a mountain bike ride this morning.
Driveway.jpg

Rear cargo area with custom speaker/amp box. You can also see the Wagon Gear tailgate storage box here.
Cargo Area.jpg

Tailgate storage. Here you can see that every large panel has fat mat/dynamat on it.
Tailgate Box.jpg

Passenger seat, dash and FJ62 grab handle.
Dash PS.jpg

Driver side seat. You can see here that the salvage 4Runner DS seat is a little beat. But it is also so comfy compared to the originals
Dash DS.jpg

Rear seat area. You can see that the carpet goes all the way through.
Rear Seat Up.jpg

Wagon Gear under seat storage box.
Seat Box.jpg

Front door panels.
Front Doors.jpg

Rear door panels.
Rear Doors.jpg

UpperLeft86

I'm trying, and failing, to find any reason why I shouldn't sell my 4th Gen 4Runner for this. This is my dream Cruiser, essentially!

stolz

Adventurer
Awesome 60, on a random note, I'm going camping up in Ojai early next month! Small world.. free bump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles