Mapper's gen 2.5

mapper

Explorer
Looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cigarette-Lighter-Outlet-Socket/dp/B00632B1W0 Dorman has a line of accessories under the "HELP" label sold at all auto parts stores, typically uses red card stock.

This is NOT the part I used. I'll see if I can find the part #. I took my existing socket in to the store and the one on the shelf was a dead ringer visual match for what I pulled from the truck. Cost like $5 at the store, no shipping required. I always thought HELP! used yellow card stock with black lines/lettering??? At any rate, the clerk at the store should be familiar with the products.

About 5 years ago I replaced the long time inoperative cig lighter in my VW with a similar ~$5 12v only socket. Thing has worked perfectly ever since.

What I use in montero was similar to this but with a blade type ground connector, not bullet.
http://www.finddormanhelp.com/Product?ProductID=1499&pcat=2&cat=31&page=3

And, yes, it is red card stock

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Mapper, thanks for amplifying your post with that info.

FWIW< if anyone needs a replacement 12v port, I have one salvaged from a junk yard that works

mapper

Explorer
Howdy been busy and haven't been around much. Well, sad news. A tweaker in a stolen car fleeing from the police took out the montero as I was driving it to work on Tuesday. Hit me on the driver's side at the bottom of the doors/base of the B-pillar. Total loss. Impact went all the way to the frame, wrecked the body mount and dented the frame, but didn't seem to bend it. The whole Driver's seat is pushed tightly against the center console. Oddly only a crack in the front windshield, all other glass was undamaged. Didn't damage any driveline components either. Drover the car home. When he hit me, I was almost stopped, but it launched the rear end into the air and spun me around almost 180 degrees. The right, passenger, rear hit a stop sign and broke the 4x4 post it was mounted on in half, so the right rear quarter is toast too. I got bounced around, hit my head but walked away with a egg on my left temple and swollen knee. I only needed a few days of Tylenol and the knee is fine and the headache gone. Wrong place at the wrong time but lucky it wasn't worse.

Montero will be totaled for sure. I'll inquire on buying it back for parts if anyone is interested. Everything worked exactly as it should (sunroof, locks, windows, A/C, transfer case, locker etc....everything worked correct) I only put about 10k on it since all the reconditioning I did of engine, suspension, brakes and steering. Tires are nearly new still. Let me know if there is any interest in it for parts.

Of course there are some pics but they aren't loading well at the moment. I'll try to get them up soon. There is also surveillance footage from the house it happened in front of. I'll load that up if I can. It's a pretty wild video.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Holy cow man, just the other day I was thinking maybe you had sold the Monty because you hadn't been on in awhile, that is a crappy thing to happen for sure. Look at it this way though, if you hadn't been in the Monty you might be typing from a hospital bed, given the point of impact it would have been far worse in a lower vehicle. If you end up parting it out I may want some interior pieces.

mapper

Explorer
Agreed. Glad I was in the Monty as opposed to my VW, especially since it didn't roll over on impact, that would have been less fun. I think I got hit in pretty much the strongest spot along the side of the truck. Like a said, unlucky timing, but lucky overall. Really wish I could get pictures working at the moment.

I wanted to sell it because I was shuffling too many cars and it filled a niche we didn't really take much advantage of. That said, I really like driving it and really like the blend of a basic, somewhat classically styled SUV with a modern twist and lot of creature comfort. Sounds crazy given my interest in selling it, but I may go take a look at a certain white 98 sitting on KSL right now if it still around after the insurance comes through.

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Agreed. Glad I was in the Monty as opposed to my VW, especially since it didn't roll over on impact, that would have been less fun. I think I got hit in pretty much the strongest spot along the side of the truck. Like a said, unlucky timing, but lucky overall. Really wish I could get pictures working at the moment.

I wanted to sell it because I was shuffling too many cars and it filled a niche we didn't really take much advantage of. That said, I really like driving it and really like the blend of a basic, somewhat classically styled SUV with a modern twist and lot of creature comfort. Sounds crazy given my interest in selling it, but I may go take a look at a certain white 98 sitting on KSL right now if it still around after the insurance comes through.

If it's the one in Clearfield the guy is asking a bit too much, make sure he shows you the rust spots as well.

mapper

Explorer
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the head's up on the rust. Is it on the lower rocker? Mine had a little spot developing on the seem there. I also noticed he called a timing belt with 44k on it "new". The one picture looked good and story sounded good. Anyway, I have insurance to deal with first.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the head's up on the rust. Is it on the lower rocker? Mine had a little spot developing on the seem there. I also noticed he called a timing belt with 44k on it "new". The one picture looked good and story sounded good. Anyway, I have insurance to deal with first.

I was thinking of buying it to have a "spare" for the future but decided against it.

mapper

Explorer
Some Pics. And yes, I washed my wrecked truck :ylsmoke: and charged the battery (driver's puddle light won't turn off so it drained...fyi, it's the "clock" fuse that powers the puddle lights and the ignition key ring light.

DSC_0993.jpg
DSC_0994.jpg
DSC_0995.JPG
DSC_0996.JPG
DSC_0997.jpg
DSC_0998.jpg

JohnnyBfromPeoria

I'm Getting Around To It
I was almost to the last page of this whole thread before I even got to reading your signature and knew the ending.

Another Montero died, protecting its master. I'll be interested in what happens to it next, via insurance, parts, you suing the balls off the tweaker's family and friends, etc.

Glad you're O.K.

John B.

Jeanofl

. I don't know what you're planning to do with it, but I am in need of the center AC dash vents.

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
Insurance is taking a little longer because I had them visit my residence rather than tow it away...easier for me to buy back if interested. Should get numbers today...or soon anyway.

Side note:
As I've been pondering what direction to go next...I'm reading around various sites about different trucks. I'm reminded regularly about why the Montero is so great. Especially the Gen 2.5 with winter package or SR. The only mods it needs to do just about anything short of rock crawling is tires. So many people spend so much time "building". Nothing wrong with that but if you want a cheap, comfortable, out of the box exploring rig that can carry some weight (read ammenities)...the Montero just nails it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne