Mapper's gen 2.5

mapper

Explorer
Leaving the fire lookout
_7232888_1.jpg

Departing from the fire lookout we embarked on our longest drive of the trip. We stopped at Liquid Planet in Missoula to fuel our bodies for the journey. Great coffee, good breakfast burrito that could have been phenomenal had they put a bit more filling inside...too much burrito. Just as we passed through the Idaho Pan Handle we stopped at a quiet freeway exit for a short hike with dogs and a quick swim in the small river to refresh ourselves before, what I expected would be a hot sunny drive. Unfortunately we also hit the worst weather of the trip on this stretch. Our next night was intended to be camping in Mt. Hood National Forest but was instead spent in Hood River, OR, where I wanted to make my traditional stops at the Waterfront Park to watch the kite/wind surfers followed by the pilgrimage to the Full Sail Brewery Patio. Unfortunately we hit an unseasonably strong cold front just out of Spokane, WA that gave us extremely gusty winds, and a major headwind all the way through the Scablands and the Colombia Gorge. Temps at Mt Hood were hovering in low 40s and it was raining. We didn't get to Hood River until dark and we just moteled it that night. The next day was another long push to meet some friends for lunch in Bend, OR then on to Mt. Shasta to meet and camp with another couple headed to the same wedding.

Hiking in Mt. Hood NF the next morning. (my connection is rocking so I'm starting to load bigger photos)
_7242899_1.jpg

Stopped to make coffee at White River crossing on Mt. Hood.
_7242902_1.jpg

Klamath Lake from a quick stop we made to stretch lefs near Klamath Falls, OR
_7242908_1.jpg

I've been to Mt. Shasta before but only for climbing/skiing in spring when there is still a ton of snow. This time the road, Everrett Memorial Highway, was open all the way and we camped at the campground near the end of the road. Quite the experience with many of the folks there basking in all the spiritual glory that is associated with Shasta. Look it up some time if you are curious about that kind of thing.

Quick hike at the Old Ski Bowl before hitting the road for Sonoma for wedding festivities. Was getting warm for the dogs, you can spot them lounging in the shade.
_7252916_1.jpg

At this point we had done a lot more driving, considering days on the road, than I like but it was all about taking the opportunity to hang out in some cool places with friends AND getting to my buddies wedding to see more friends, all while using only a few days of vacation we had available.

We spend the next few days/nights in Sonoma area with many of my old friends. Buddy getting married was one of those people who really keeps in touch with people so it was a great time.

mapper

Explorer
On the way home we were able to slow down a bit more. We met another couple, unaffiliated with wedding, at South Yuba River and visited some swimming holes with them. Unfortunately all my photos from that are on my waterproof camera, which I forgot at home today...will try to get some up later.

We then camped along HWY 20 just out of Nevada City, CA. The next morning we headed to the Grouse Lakes area along the Bowman Lake Road for more good hiking and swimming.

Dogs shaking off coming out of Feely Lake.
_7282920_1.jpg

This area has, arguably, some of the best swimming lakes I've visited. Absolutely beautiful to boot. Unfortunately they seem to get pretty heavy traffic and the Trailhead/campground area was literally trashed with people's clothes and garbage. Just disgusting, sad, and stupid as there are bear in the area. One group had left of trash bag on the roof of their SUV, it had been ransacked by the Ravens and the food wrappers were everywhere. Once you get down the trail a bit things start looking better, on a weekday anyway.
_7282928_1.jpg

Tired dogs after a day of hiking
_7282952_1.jpg

_7282956_1.jpg

_7282960_1.jpg

_7282966_1.jpg

Following that hike we cooked dinner and headed to Tahoe are were we stayed at a friend's house, did a quick hike then drove home to UT.

Whilrwind tour, and catch up with old friends. 2600 miles total.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
2 quick things that bother me about montero.

1) Sunroof eats up headroom and probably won't be used much. Wish more SR/Winter Package models came without it.
..... Unlike most people I actually like having the running boards installed, I have wondered if removing them would help move some more air along the bottom of the car?

Wait. I don't get it. You are short enough that the running boards are of use to you, yet you think the headliner in a Montero is too low?
Are you built like this? (meant to be funny - no harm intended)

phocomelus-man-color.gif

mapper

Explorer
Wait. I don't get it. You are short enough that the running boards are of use to you, yet you think the headliner in a Montero is too low?
Are you built like this? (meant to be funny - no harm intended)

phocomelus-man-color.gif

How did you find that! One thing I learned on this trip is that I tend to use the tire and door sills as a step more often than the boards...since both are higher than the boards. Currently, I also like the added level of protection my dogs get while hanging their heads out the window as we drive gravel roads but I'm looking into good mud flap option to keep up with stray gravel. Furthermore, in many ways, I like keeping them because everyone thinks they should go...my brain just kind of works in that contrarian way. Probably a big reason I bought the Montero, as opposed to a cruiser or 4runner. Anyway, I currently have no intention of rock crawling, this thing and they haven't bothered me yet.

I'd definitely consider doing what Billy Goat suggested but not really wanting the spend the money, at the moment. Too many projects on my plate.

c.zhou57

I think it's cause we're so used to the Astro, which has that additional step by the wheel well. I have a 96 AWD myself and I tend to always take the first step in with my left foot in any other car that I'm driving now... Kind of puts me in an awkward position sometimes when I'm driving the Accord..

mapper

Explorer
I think it's cause we're so used to the Astro, which has that additional step by the wheel well. I have a 96 AWD myself and I tend to always take the first step in with my left foot in any other car that I'm driving now... Kind of puts me in an awkward position sometimes when I'm driving the Accord..

There is truth in this. Since you've mentioned it I have been noticing I frequently "miss" step (wrong foot first) every so often while trying to get into the Montero. I thought I was just being oddly clumsy, though I'm generally rather athletic. I think the Astro trained me in an odd way.

I don't have the same problem with cars, but that's an entirely different motion.

mapper

Explorer
Haven't done much to the Montero recently, other than remove the running boards (looks great, sorry no pics right now) and drive it here and there. Been taking trips in my van. The size of the van is just more amenable to me, my GF, 3 med to large dogs. It pains me to do this because I REALLY, REALLY like the montero and my GF likes it even more than I do but I have too many cars around and it is starting to bug me. Too busy to officially list it yet but I'm offering it up right now.

It is a really good truck with a ton of recent maintenance, almost totally baselined. Only thing I'd really want to do is move the seat heater switches in the center console and replace worn trans mounting bushings on the crossmember. EVERYTHING works exactly as it should. Ok, the OEM alarm is disabled but I see that as a bonus.

Edit:
As soon I posted that I changed my mind. Damn, just can't bring myself to do it yet. Leaving this post, rather than deleting to remind my (silly) self that I couldn't actually pull the trigger on selling.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
...Too busy to officially list it yet but I'm offering it up right now.

Edit:
As soon I posted that I changed my mind. Damn, just can't bring myself to do it yet. Leaving this post, rather than deleting to remind my (silly) self that I couldn't actually pull the trigger on selling.

LOL, I was just about ready to re-post some of your photos of trips you've enjoyed in this truck, and ask, "Are you sure?"

mapper

Explorer
Yeah, it was an impulse. Namely because I just got my insurance bill this week, paid yesterday. One person insuring 4 cars while driving primarily 1 or 2 makes me angry (paying ~1400/year for basic coverage on all but the Volvo). So I called the company to see if I can do it any other way to save more money, no dice. :mad: I have "snapshot" on my 3 other cars but for some reason it is not offered on the Montero so it commands the highest insurance premium. Actually higher than my Volvo with full coverage!! I have a speeding ticket that will come off my record in April (affects rates for 35 months!) they told me that should drop the premium significantly ($160/year reduction on the just the montero). Gotta drive careful this winter! Anyway, decided that I'll forget about that bill for another 6mos. soon enough.

I also have an old MG I want to pull out of storage this winter, in preparation for next spring. I really only have appropriate space for 3 cars on my property and my VW was broken into recently because it was parked in my alley, outside the garage, I don't like to park there. Anyway, I guess I need to put a gate into my fence so I can bring cars into my fenced yard. No biggie, except I have to move a tree and remove a junk tree grown into fence to get that done. Means more work and less play:violent-smiley-031: ...feels like it never ends :REExeSwimmingHL:

mapper

Explorer
Noticed I was getting a little steering wobble at 35-45 mph. Took a look underneath to verify some play in the idler arm. Was ordering a few parts from Rock Auto and added a new idler arm to the list. Installed it the other night. Also checked over all the front end work I did earlier in the year and repacked bearings. New idler was well worth the small job it was to replace. Couple of bolts on the back side of the frame rail are a bear to hold while loosening/tightening but got it eventually.

Only other recent changes to the truck was the removal/cleaning of the center console and seat heater switches, those get easily gunked up in the stock location. I completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the switches. Took a cue from some other members here and moved switches to upper part of the armrest/center counsel above the cup holder! Moved the adjustable suspension switch to beside the 12V outlet/cig lighter.

Speaking of which, my 12V outlet in front of the T-case shifter had never worked. While I had console removed I checked the wiring and it was all good. Went to Pep boys and bought a HELP! replacement. Fit perfectly, was able to swap the cover over and everything.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Noticed I was getting a little steering wobble at 35-45 mph. Took a look underneath to verify some play in the idler arm. Was ordering a few parts from Rock Auto and added a new idler arm to the list. Installed it the other night. Also checked over all the front end work I did earlier in the year and repacked bearings. New idler was well worth the small job it was to replace. Couple of bolts on the back side of the frame rail are a bear to hold while loosening/tightening but got it eventually.

Do you have any pictures or helpful advice/write-ups about this? I want to do both of these things, and have never done so before. Part numbers, tools needed, how-to's, etc... all greatly appreciated!

Speaking of which, my 12V outlet in front of the T-case shifter had never worked. While I had console removed I checked the wiring and it was all good. Went to Pep boys and bought a HELP! replacement. Fit perfectly, was able to swap the cover over and everything.

What on earth is a HELP! replacement? That is not an easily searched term on Google :)

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Do you have any pictures or helpful advice/write-ups about this? I want to do both of these things, and have never done so before. Part numbers, tools needed, how-to's, etc... all greatly appreciated!

What on earth is a HELP! replacement? That is not an easily searched term on Google :)

Looks like this http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cigarette-Lighter-Outlet-Socket/dp/B00632B1W0 Dorman has a line of accessories under the "HELP" label sold at all auto parts stores, typically uses red card stock.

mapper

Explorer
Sorry about the write-up bit. I elected to do this one night after dark. I was working via the map lights and a flash light. At the most basic level you remove the rear/upper portion of the center console. Pretty straightforward (screws at bottom of large armrest pocket) except for 2 additional screws buried well under the retractable cup holder thingy. If I recall correctly, you have to remove the 2 switch blanks above the cup holder, extend the cup holder then get a Looooonnng phillips screwdriver (preferably with a magnetic tip OR use a telescoping magnetic to pick up the screws after you remove. To replace these screws I lightly taped them to my Looooooonnng screwdriver

The forward portion of the console has 2 screws in either footwell and 1 more, I believe, visible after removing the aforementioned upper/rear portion of the console. I had to remove the radio/climate control bezel too. You have to finagle it around the two shifters, the t-case shift knob is threaded on. Mine was tight but it came loose eventually.

HELP! is a brand name of off-the-shelf common repair items that Pep Boys and Autozone, and others I'm sure, sell. As Jeep-n states, I believe it is made by Dorman. I'll see if I can find the part number for the 12v socket. If you find HELP! brand 12v socket at your local parts store you can look at the back of the packages and see what works for mitsubishi. I removed my old socket and took it with me to find the best fit. The one I used did NOT match the Mitsubishi part # listed on the back of the package but the only difference was the "hot" spade connector being too wide. I just clipped it down a bit with a snippers.

On my car the cig lighter/12v socket worked but the 12v only socket (by rear diff lock button) did not. The wiring is identical so, once you have the console out you can swap the wiring to test if the problem is in your socket or not.

OK, I know that was a lot of words and no pictures but it is all fairly straightforward if you just take a look at all of it. Once you get started feel free to ask questions.

Moving the seat heater switches was a little more tricky as the wiring harnesses don't want to fit into the new locations. I made it work but the job could be cleaner. At the moment the wires get in the way of my ability to close my retractable cupholder. Doesn't bother me as I never close that thing anyway and I have a USB adapter in the socket underneath that allows the USBs to plug in horizontally, fitting nicely in the tiny gap under the cupholder.

Cleaning the the switches requires careful disassembly of the "snap fit" switches. I used aerosol contact cleaner and paper towel to de-gunk then I used a little dielectric grease on the internal portions of the switch. I didn't really gain anything by disassebling/cleaning/greasing the switches, aside from piece of mind. They worked fine before and still work the same now.

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
The idler is self explanatory if you look at it. There are also many videos/write-ups online about idler arms. The montero was quite easy, in my estimation. Definitely one of the more straightforward jobs I've done on the truck.

The idler is connected to the steering linkage with tapered joint and castled nut (19mm, I think) and cotter pin. Remove the pin, loosen the nut a bit and whack the nut with a hammer to free the tapered fit joint. Once you see the new part, you'll see what I'm talking about.

The main portion of the unit is held to the frame fail by 4 (14mm?) nut/bolt combos. The bolt is threaded through from the inside of the frame rail. Remove the front portion of the wheel well liner to see things more clearly and "reach around" :coffee: to the back side of the frame rail.

You can break connection loose without holding the back side. But once you are started you'll need to sneak a 14mm open end wrench to the backside of the frame rail and work blindly to get it on the proper bolt. The lower front bolt is the worst one, you can actually access it from the front if you take off the skid plate/lower grill thingy but I managed to just hunt around until I got it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne