Brunton Pocket Transit repair snafu

gm13

Adventurer
I sent my pocket transit into Brunton to repair the stuck declination adjustment. I called prior to shipping and was told $40-50 but they would call with a diagnosis and better idea of price before doing any work, turn around would be 2-3 weeks. 3 weeks later I start emailing and calling, 4-5 of each with no replies. Finally at week 5 I manage to speak with someone who tells me it's been sitting on their desk, finished, and oh, it's $125 we'll get that right out. A bit hesitant, I mentioned that I was supposed to get a call before any work was done. She agrees to send it back for $50, Brunton picks up the shipping tab. Sounds great, they're disorganized, understaffed, whatever it is at least they realize their mistake and try to make good on it. Transit arrived last week, Declination adjust works but no list of repairs, the inclination vial had been replaced, the original was fine, the needle looks to be new, and here's the rub, it dips severely and is canted E/W and hangs up on the damping cup.
I send an email w/ pics of the issue, called, surprise, surprise...no reply.

Anyone have a better experience with Brunton? Know of an alternative for servicing?
R0012201.jpg

gm13

Adventurer
An update for any poor soul contemplating sending their transit to Brunton for repairs. They sent a shipping label for a return (at snails pace 8 days to arrive) to correct screw up. After I emailed to confirm arrival they ask where it will be used, as I suspected the needle apparently had been replaced with a S hemisphere version then shipped to Maine. 3 weeks later after more emails/calls I get it back, needle still dips though less so. I call and talk to same customer service rep I'd been dealing with, she tells me she'll look into it. Never heard from her again. I take it apart which is no problem, there is a glob of hot melt glue or similar, which is used to secure the magnets, on the N end of the needle. How it leaves the repair dept like that is beyond me. All told, this "customer service" took 2.5 months. Do yourself a favor, don't send it in for repairs, diagnose and buy parts would be my recommendation.

Expedition Leader
Mine is at least 40 years old (bought it second-hand) and still works fine, thank goodness. No fancy damping cup on mine though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles