"THE RESURRECTION" 97 4runner

grotto

Observer
Great thread!! Fun to see how your collection and assembly of parts comes together for not much money. My kind of build.

blakeape

Adventurer
Great thread!! Fun to see how your collection and assembly of parts comes together for not much money. My kind of build.

Thanks I'm having fun with it and really excited at how reasonably its coming together $$$$-wise.

Today I did a trans and t-case fluid swap and put Redline MT90 full synthetic in. I also trimmed my rocker install in the front a little to make room for chains and got the ARB rear third plumbed to the firewall and an O-Ring replaced. I need to figure out a place to mount the compressor and finish wiring it up next week when I'm off again.

84scrambler

Observer
looks great love the sliders, she dose marketing and i am a mechanic and a machinist i also did residential construction for 8 years and i am a gear cutter, i was trying for fire but it never happened and i destroyed my knee at the academy, i hope to move north some day

blakeape

Adventurer
I got a tube bending lesson from a friend today! Got my sliders extended and tacked in. Ill burn them in and get them painted next week when I'm off shift.
IMG_1644_zpsa9f63fad.jpg

IMG_1645_zps86c07f1d.jpg

IMG_1646_zps220b82bd.jpg

upndown

Adventurer
Lovin your build, Man you've got some skills! Little bit of Deja-vu reading your thread. Years ago I went to see an old grade school buddy that built a house in Sand Point, the view from his front porch was Sweitzer mtn.

A few years ago my ladyfriend and I did a 13 day road trip from Seattle back to Phoenix, spent a few days in Kalispell with her college roomate, Beautiful area, just a little too cold for my old AZ butt. Thanks for sharing your build, and a few more shots of your area would be nice..HAHA

blakeape

Adventurer
Lovin your build, Man you've got some skills! Little bit of Deja-vu reading your thread. Years ago I went to see an old grade school buddy that built a house in Sand Point, the view from his front porch was Sweitzer mtn.

A few years ago my ladyfriend and I did a 13 day road trip from Seattle back to Phoenix, spent a few days in Kalispell with her college roomate, Beautiful area, just a little too cold for my old AZ butt. Thanks for sharing your build, and a few more shots of your area would be nice..HAHA

Thanks for the compliments. I really like it here, lots of things we like to do. Good kayaking, skiing, paddleboarding, dirt biking, camping, hunting, 4wheeling etc!

P7110051.jpg

P8150009.jpg

BearCreek001.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_1172_zps5ac27fda.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
Thanks Willman!

Thursday was one of the best ski days of my life. I'm not sure what they reported for inches, but it dumped all day and the hill was a ghost town. This is a friend of mine hopping off a little cliff!
IMG_1650_zps4618cdef.jpg

I got the ARB rear locker wired up and functioning on Friday. I moved the "Clutch Start Cancel" button down next to the driving light switch and mounted the compressor and locker switches next to each other. I moved a couple thing around a little under the hood and was able to squeak the small ARB compressor in next to the Airbox.
IMG_1654_zps7a03ff4a.jpg

IMG_1652_zps7e898b03.jpg

I really wanted to get off road in the 4runner and some friends were going out playing in the snow on Sunday. I decided to take my Tacoma and am glad I did, it was still really deep in a lot of places. I'll use that rear locker in the 4runner soon though.
IMG_1661_zps52663298.jpg

IMG_1659_zps49f51ad0.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
I took the 4runner out for a little test and it did great, I love the rear ARB locker and it worked flawlessly. I also got my Warn XD9000 mounted up on a receiver hitch mount. I can now use it on the Tacoma, 4runner or to pull dead vehicles onto my trailer. For now I'll just attach directly to the battery on whichever vehicle I'm driving but eventually I'll wire up some quick connects. The snow is melting and we'll be getting on the rivers soon so the 4runner will see more use. I can't wait to get out camping and exploring a bit more in it!
IMG_1669_zpsb8f64b3a.jpg

IMG_1671_zps681f3427.jpg

IMG_1666_zpsf4e1c90b.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
I finally got out with a couple friends last weekend and did a little exploring/cruising around in the 4runner. It did great and was a pleasure to drive both on and off the roads. The receiver mounted winch did well but sure hurts approach angles and I need to move the solenoid pack to the top where it is better protected.

IMG_1713_zpsd379f2e2.jpg

IMG_1732_zps337173b9.jpg

IMG_1707_zps9689027b.jpg

IMG_1729_zps7768c05f.jpg

I also did a little cost breakdown on what I have into this rig and I'm pleasantly surprised.
-1997 4runner rusted frame: $Free
-1997 4runner rolled: $1500 plus I drove it for over a year
-New Front 4.88 3rd: $350 and 2 3rd cores
-Rebuilt rear V6 4.88 ARB 3rd: $500 plus a pair of 4.56 thirds
-ARB compressor and misc switches: $213.98
-Tires: $850 (bought for another project in 2010)
-New muffler, O2 sensor, Synthetic fluid throughout, steel for sliders, etc:

Total: $3763.95

Then I parted out the rolled 4runner and made back: $1377.00

So I'm in it for: $2386.95 !!!
Not bad for a 4.88 geared, Rear ARB locked, Old Man Emu lifted, 3.4 powered 5 spd, rock slidered, front bumpered Rig

I didn't figure the cost of the materials I had into the front bumper because I built it a few years ago or the winch which I actually bought new in 1995.

TacomaJack09

Observer
P7110051.jpg

P8150009.jpg

BearCreek001.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_1172_zps5ac27fda.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh man, if I ever find a job in Montana we could be best buds! I love doing all this stuff!! Great build and pics! I'll continue my job search haha

blakeape

Adventurer
Oh man, if I ever find a job in Montana we could be best buds! I love doing all this stuff!! Great build and pics! I'll continue my job search haha[/QUOTE]

I've certainly spent time in far worse places!
Good luck in the job hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles