"THE RESURRECTION" 97 4runner

blakeape

Adventurer
So I have 2 97 4runners that needed to become one. The Tan one my Mom bought new in 97 and enjoyed over 200,000 miles of pretty trouble free driving. In the fall of 2010 it started to kind of nickle and dime my parents because they are not very mechanically inclined, $800 for a new catalytic converter, it was due for brakes, suspension was wore out etc. The truck was in Connecticut where they live and they were only offered $1200 trade in for it on a new Subaru. I told them I would give them $1200 and come get it. They replied I could have it for free and they would even drive out to Montana for me as long as I didn't "jack it up and put huge tires on it." They wanted themselves, my sisters and others to be able to come visit and have something nice and stock to drive as apposed to most of my other vehicles.
IMG_0006-1_zpse7623719.jpg

When they got to MT and I did an oil change and once over on the truck I was disappointed at how rusty the frame was. I drove it for about 3 months until on of the rear links literally ripped off the severely rusted frame.
P6070001_zps66cf2aa8.jpg

I talked to Toyota but they will only do a frame recall on a Tacoma, Tundra or Sequoia. No 4runners DAMN! So i scoured Craigs List looking for a frame and found a lightly rolled 97 for $1500. I was told it had a 2 inch spacer lift, 175K miles, auto, and it was only 100 miles away. So i fired up my diesel and went and picked it up. The seller kept his blingin 18" wheels and while swapping some spares onto it I noticed that the "2" spacer lift" was actually a complete Old Man Emu system that retails for about $900! The truck was rolled, but actually ran and drove fine, so I drove it around for about a year and a half and put about 5000 miles on it. It also had a stack of receipts including a new starter, new Power steering rack bushings and alignment and a recent trans service.
IMG_0011.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
I'm 38 years old and kind of got sick and tired of driving around in a rolled over, smashed up car. I began to part the rolled one out on Craigs List and made about $1000 back after selling a couple doors, some interior parts and the engine. Anybody need any parts? Auto trans, seats, interior?? Anyway I then yanked the body off the rolled one with my trusty 35HP Kubota (man I love that thing) and stripped everything I didn't need off the frame.
IMG_1506_zps0654534b.jpg

IMG_1507_zpsfdf16d9e.jpg

IMG_1512_zps37467c93.jpg

I had the Tan one stored 3 miles away at my rental property, so I went over, got it all loaded up and realized I forgot my straps and chains. Of course the trailer deck was icy and slippery but I thought I could drive slow and make it home OK. No such luck. The truck slid off the trailer but surprisingly stayed on the last mile or so and I didn't end up with 2 rolled 4runners!
IMG_1509_zpsdef91235.jpg

Kubota to the rescue! Did I mention how much I love that tractor?
IMG_1510_zps7275a2fd.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
It was everything the Kubota had in it to lift the rolled body off and I wasn't super gentle with it. I therefore stripped the weight off the good body by pulling doors, bumpers, seats etc.
IMG_1522_zpsb97653d1.jpg

I got the good body off and set it aside. The Tan 4runner is a 5spd 3.4 so I decide to keep it that way and swapped the entire engine, trans and t-case into the good chassis as one. There is a factory Toyota clutch with less than 10k miles on it in there too! I also forgot to mention that I swapped a set of open 4.88 diffs into the good chassis a while back. It was awful with 3.90 gears, Auto trans and 32" tires.
IMG_1524_zpsc074b6b5.jpg

IMG_1525_zpsc4613333.jpg

Then the moment of truth, I got the good body set on the frame without any real problems, by myself with the trusty ole' Kubota.
IMG_1526_zps57bcf729.jpg

I started this whole project some time in early January and am actually pretty impressed with how quickly and painlessly everything came together. It was so nice having the extra non rusted rolled one. I stole brake lines, rear heater coolant lines, wiring plugs, body bolts etc off of it. I also have a 96 Tacoma built up as a rock crawler that has pretty much the same engine set up so I used it to figure out where a bunch of the vacuum lines and such went during re-assembly.
IMG_1538_zps2d881b44.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
I have a 92 pickup with a 3.0 V6 that I picked up cheap to drive this summer when the engine blew up in my Cummins. I bought it fully aware that it had low compression in the #3 cylinder. After a summer of reliable, but gutless power and awful fuel mileage it finally blew the head gasket in December. By gutless I mean 33" tires, basically a 3.0 running on 5 cyls and 4.30 gears, so it got parked. Then I get a call from a guy I know who has a mechanic shop who needs a rebuild able 3.0 for parts. I explain everything wrong with my truck and he agrees to give me $300 and pull the engine. I keep the oil pan, oil sending unit and a few other parts I'll need when it eventually gets a 3.4! I'm psyched but need to get the brand new 33x10.50R15 BFG KM2's off it and slap them on the 4runner before delivery to the shop. So the truck gets castrated and its heart pulled, while the 4runner receives the BFG's! The chassis I have must of come with the small tires and 15" rims which is kind of rare but works for me because my wheels and tires fit! I am running a 1" wheel spacer in the front so I can clear chains if needed.
IMG_1356_zps8397ae21.jpg

This photo is the 92 right before I drove it to the mechanic's shop. I felt like i was taking a dog to the vet to be neutered.
IMG_1554_zps1c62ee4b.jpg

But it was worth it because everything fits on the 4runner and I don't have to buy tires.
IMG_1555_zps7ef7101a.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
Then came the arduous task of reassembly. No real exciting pictures but I worked on it off an on a few hrs here and there until Superbowl Sunday when made a big push. I got the brakes and clutch bled, coolant filled up, fluids topped off, doors on, seat in and front bumper bolted on about 7:00 PM and she fired after less than 3 seconds of cranking! I was elated to say the least.
IMG_1563_zpscd54e6da.jpg

I was pretty excited and drove her a few miles into town, filled the tank with some fresh 91 octane and realized I had no insurance on it, it had no rear bumper, the reverse lights and turn signals weren't working and the cops were probably out looking for drunk Superbowlers. I snuck home carefully and tucked her into the garage for the night. I had Monday off but had to be at my wife's school about 3:00 PM to take all the recycling in for them which required my big diesel pickup. So i hurried up and fixed all the lights (fuses), put a Cheap JVC with ipod hookups (from the 92) in for tunes, put my Yakima ski racks on, finished the rest of the interior, bolted on the less rusted rear bumper from the rolled one, gathered up a tow strap, shackle, jumper cables, 2" hitch stinger, flashlight, tire gauge and deflator, cheepo mini air compressor and some cam straps and stowed everything in various nooks and cranny's. I also tossed in a nice set of tire chains that fit the 33x10.50's perfect. I was excited to drive it but had to deal with the recycling so I drove away in the diesel.
IMG_1564_zps155452b9.jpg

IMG_1565_zps7014f744.jpg

On my way home I got a phone call and ended up selling a snow plow I had on Craigs List for $2200. So I was happy but spent the evening dealing with the plow and getting it loaded onto his trailer and still hadn't really driven the 4runner. I did make a phone call and put insurance on it though.
Finally this morning I drove it to work andI must say a 3.4, 5spd with 4.88's even on 33's is a very pleasant combo!
IMG_1568_zps19fb72cf.jpg

Last edited:

blakeape

Adventurer
That brings me up to date with where I am at right now. I really want to get a real front bumper on it as I could easily see myself creaming a deer after all that work. When I built the front bumper for my Tacoma I cut cardboard templates of all the plate pieces and saved them so a similar bumper would be pretty easy to duplicate. I also might just steal the bumper off the Tacoma and fit it to the 4runner. I have big plans of a front 3 Link on the Taco that would probably replace some of the front frame thereby requiring modification or replacement of the bumper anyway.
IMG_0081_zpsde1941d9.jpg

The other issue is the only significant rust on the vehicle is the rockers where the old running boards attached. I could cut the ones off the rolled one and weld them in, but I think a mini boat-side with some box tube would be pretty cool. I saw a photo on Pirate 4x4 of a guy who did that and it looked pretty slick.
IMG_1569_zps2b0153fc.jpg

blakeape

Adventurer
I got a quick hour or so in on the 4runner today and did a free ground clearance mod that will also help towing. I didn't like the way the receiver hitch hung down so low but didn't want to build a new rear bumper, yet. So I unbolted the center section (only 3 bolts per side), flipped it over, cut a little notch in the rear bumper, cut off the safety chain thing and re-welded it in a better place, slapped some primer and paint on it and bolted it back up. Instant ground clearance and now most trailers won't be so tongue down!
Before:
IMG_1570_zpsa5e52755.jpg

After:
IMG_1572_zpsda38d1d9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne