"THE RESURRECTION" 97 4runner

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Beautiful build mate... Love the sliders come rocker replacement. Makes me jealous, I was my new 2nd Gen/Diesel on the road ASASP but I have to be patient. Your Runner looks great thgouh aye.

I love MT, and I myself will be through Helena (I think I've been up to Helena every year of my life for the last 35 years) and LoLo as well as other parts this year as we always do a run out to the Lochsa/Clearwater/Selway/Payette with a huge crew then I head out to MT. to see family in Helena. We also appear to have MANY of the same "toys" aye. How fun are SUP River boards??? What kinda boat are you running??? I'm in a Jackson Karma and all I can say is that after 20+ years of paddling I've finally found "the boat" and I'm buying 2 more for "spares" HAHAHAHAHA... Man now I miss ID/MT. Oregon's great, it really is, but I feel like ID and MT have more of what Oregon had left 20 years ago before the Hipster/Non-native Bike lobyist invasion.

Cheers

Dave

blakeape

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments 4rescue. Your diesel is going to be a dream come true to most us Americans.
I am slowly moving away from kayaking, I currently paddle a Prion "Release" for a playboat and an Eskimo "Salto" for a creek boat.
I still like kayaking, but the fun stuff is a little more dangerous than I really want to put myself into these days. I took a really bad swim on "Bear Creek" off Hwy 2 here in NW Montana a few years back that really opened my eyes to my own mortality, plus I lost a paddle and broke a kayak. Unfortunately 3 of my friends have been killed kayaking so I am all to aware of the risks.
I want to keep doing the low volume creeking and such, but my new passion is Paddle Boarding and River Surfing. I have a Surftech B1 paddle board that I like on the rivers, and I just bought a 5"8" river surfboard that I am learning on.
I might be headed to the Lochsa this weekend or midweek next week. Let me know when you are headed this way, maybe we can cross paths.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the compliments 4rescue. Your diesel is going to be a dream come true to most us Americans.
I am slowly moving away from kayaking, I currently paddle a Prion "Release" for a playboat and an Eskimo "Salto" for a creek boat.
I still like kayaking, but the fun stuff is a little more dangerous than I really want to put myself into these days. I took a really bad swim on "Bear Creek" off Hwy 2 here in NW Montana a few years back that really opened my eyes to my own mortality, plus I lost a paddle and broke a kayak. Unfortunately 3 of my friends have been killed kayaking so I am all to aware of the risks.
I want to keep doing the low volume creeking and such, but my new passion is Paddle Boarding and River Surfing. I have a Surftech B1 paddle board that I like on the rivers, and I just bought a 5"8" river surfboard that I am learning on.
I might be headed to the Lochsa this weekend or midweek next week. Let me know when you are headed this way, maybe we can cross paths.

Ah the "bad swim"... I now what you mean, few things have been so "life focusing" as a big swim when you ACTUALLY feel like you might not make it. I was on the Box Section of the CF Yelowstone in 03 when those guys missed the mandatory take-out and got flushed (RIP, that sill makes me sad to think about) over those falls... That was pretty life affirming and I wasn't the one in danger except from maybe falling working ropes. Then we did the GC Stikine up in Ca (I have two friends that are convinced we're all supermen and I'm the only real EMS staff on the rips so my gut goes sour just thinking about some of these trips) and we had some... "near misses" that in hindsight were WAY to close to a loss of life sitch so we "cooled it down", or so we thought. Then a few years later, we ran an early spring melt that was pushing a local river here in OR (Upper Clackamas) up to the 11,000+cfs (avg. is typically 5-6K) and I got beasted out by a sneaker wave/hole. That swim really changed my perspective, especially of having other people controlling your fate. I'm right there with ya mate. Luckily OR has a little less "death guaranteed" level creeks to run and we can play year round in some of the more mellow spots, but I hear ya, I'm not charging log strewn flooded drops anymore. Funny how in my 20's I just bounced off things and never had any issues. now at 35 I bump my elbow and I feel like I broke a bone...

I've not gotten that heavily into the River boards, but growing up surfing/skating/snowboarding I've been really anxious to do more so you've piqued my interest aye. We usually hit the Lochsa once or even 3 times a year as I can;t get enough of the area, Payette Valley as well so I'll definitely drop you a line when we head out there. I keep HOPING that I might even get to take the new 4Runner out for a maiden voyage that direction but being a "project" it seems like it'll never get built.

Again, great build, fine quality work you're doing there. All the best and keep on floatin. Being on a river is never a bad thing aye ;)

Cheers

Dave

blakeape

Adventurer
Spring has sprung and the 4runner has been dragging me and a bunch of boats boards and even a raft all over chasing H20!. Did a mellow raft float and camp with my wife and some friends this weekend and put 150 or so miles on, mostly dirt. I am in love with the Old Man Emu suspension. The rear coils might be a little soft, I don't know if they are the heavy ones or not because she does sag a little loaded down. The truck tracked and drove great even at some pretty high speeds. I'd recommend OME to anyone!

IMG_1786_zps31000b08.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles