Removing air damns

wcdu

Observer
Last year I decided to change my overland vehicle approach yet again and I went with a new Ford F-150 with the small V8 (2013). So far so good except for one detail. The front air damn. By front, what I mean is the one almost right underneath the front axle. It really does hang down too far for any kind of real snow and the two-track back roads of Colorado. I have slightly taller tires than stock and no lifts.

So, my question are will removing this air damn permanently cause any problems like overheating? How about likely gas mileage reduction or other performance issues?

Thanks in advance.

wcdu

Ridge Runner

Delta V
Damn: to declare (something) to be bad, unfit, invalid, or illegal

Dam: to obstruct or confine the flow of something

Removing it is unlikely to cause any overheating, but it could potentially make you run a little bit warmer. As for fuel economy, it's likely, but that's just something you'll have to experiment with.

Last edited:

98dango

Expedition Leader
You may notice a loss of gas mileage of so little you will never know. You have already changed the factory math with oversized tiers. But no over heating on that modle that I'm aware of. I know none of the 35 trucks I worked on last week had all of them left a few had parts still renaming from Montana snow and rocks.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Your not gaining "ground clearance" by removing it. It's rubbery plastic, you can drag it on a rock and it just flexes and snaps back. Mines had no effect on my offroad ability at all. It's held onto the bumper with tiny little screws. If it gets caught under a tire it'll just rip off without damaging the bumper. (assuming your truck is similar to mine)
-
And it's a nice feeler warning that you're crossing over a rock when it's scrapes on it. When I hear my damn dam drag on a rock, I know I better pay attention. One wrong move in the next few seconds and it'll be dragging on my cats, trans, or oil pan.
-
I also think it has a minor effect of reducing salt spray on the front of my engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles