New RAM half-ton EcoDiesel gets 28mpg?..

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I have owned quite a few diesel trucks, I currently daily drive a 2011 duramax but I also own a 2013 cummins. If you don't need the pulling power they are just not worth it IMO. Modern gassers are just as if not more reliable than diesels, and last about as long too.

Completely agree with you here.

28mpg? Yeah, good luck with that. It'll have to be a stripped down light weight 2wd model. AKA: Useless truck.
-
If you need a diesel, then you'll also need something bigger than a 1/2 ton truck with petite coil springs in the rear. I'd take a small block gasser for $5k less.
-
.....but if I had a Dodge 1/2ton diesel, I could put a huge "C" sticker in my back window like the cool kids!

Well put. Diesel and useless don't go well together especially for the cost increase.

I love the sound of diesel as much as the next guy, but that has all but gone away also. It's funny to me when I see these people wanting diesels but they don't want the "nasty smell" and loud noise. The world is being taken over by sniveling wienies. These days, a good 3/4 ton gasser will pull about as much as the diesel and get close to the same mileage. My 2005 6.0 Vortec GMC 2500 pulled my GN and my RV and got 9mpg. Same truck with a Duramax got the same mileage towing the same thing. It got a little better empty, but the maintenance costs offset the mileage savings. It isn't just the cost of a petty fuel filter. Oil changes are 3x as much and filters are pretty pricey. Ask me how I know. Again, as it was said before, real world vs. "reviews" are a world of difference.

Only time will tell. From my experience I always achieve 25% better fuel mileage than the EPA numbers. If the EPA estimates that this truck will get 28 on the freeway then I have to believe 35 mpg is possible with conservative driving which is exciting. On a recent 2000 mile road trip with my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen I was able to achieve 49mpg and the car was loaded to the max. Unloaded I have seen up to 54mpg in my Jetta. In my 2005 Crew Cab Duramax with a ZF6 trans and no mods, I consistently saw 25mpg on long trips to California. This just has me way excited. I hope this truck responds well to conservative driving techniques like other diesels I have owned. I also like that Ram went with a small 3.0L diesel rather than a 5.0L like Nissan. I just want the fuel mileage.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Plus a small turbo diesel will have huge torque, better than a gasser. Plentiful torque makes the driver smile.

I don't think anybody buys a diesel, especially one equipped with emissions junk, any more to save money.

I just read that Nissan has a concept truck - a Frontier with a Cummins 2.8 four banger.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA[/QUOTE]

The torque number for this engine are not the impressive 420ft lbs. A chevy 5.3 puts down 383ft lbs, the current f150 is 365ft lbs from the ecoboost and 411ft lbs from the 6.2 v8. So for me 40ft lbs is not worth the extra cost. When you buy the 3/4 ton or larger the torque is so much different. For example the Ford F250 gas has 405ft lbs and the diesel is 800ft lbs. To me that is worth the extra cost.

If you are buying this for fuel economy go for it. At this current time untill the numbers can become more impressive its just not for me. I am happy they are trying something different just wish it would be better.

Hovenator1

Having owned a 2003 Ram 2500 diesel, I also have learned that repair costs can be quite high. While sitting in the local diesel repair shop I was routinely hearing the service advisor quoting people their bills over the phone. Many where 3 and 4 grand! He told me he owns a Hyundai and would never own a diesel unless he needed it to tow all the time.
I now have a 13 F-150:) it has the 5.0 and it works great. Tows our 20' TT just fine and does all the family duties required of it. Gets better mileage too!

My 2 cents.

There's a certain amount to be said for getting an option just because you want it. I know plenty of people that want a diesel just because. When I was in high school I drove my dad's Duramax quite a bit and that truck was the most fun I've ever had on the road, tons of get up and go, spacious, and it could make nice big smoke clouds if you wanted to. I've had a love to diesel vehicles ever since. It's purely emotional and not necessarily practical, but that's why people ride Harleys instead of Hondas.

3 DOGS

Observer
The Ecoboost is 365 horsepower and 420 torque (not 365) - same as the Eco Diesl. I've never owned a diesel but as an owner of the EcoBoost I cannot complain about the engine. The rest of the truck, especially the first 6 months, had some issues but now I wouldn't trade it for the world. Great power and decent mileage...when I keep the foot off of it.
The advancements in the engines gas or diesel are huge and nothing but beneficial for us the consumer. The only draw back is unless you're a "real" mechanic you cannot really work on these engines much.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
A 1/2 ton diesel makes sense for the guy that pulls a moderate sized trailer on a regular basis (moderate load, but not primarily supported by the trucks suspension).

For the folks who use a truck as a daily driver/light duty bulky object carrier - meh. The gasser is probably a better choice, particularly with the higher diesel fuel cost.

Personally, it's not for me - but I welcome the advancement. More options to better suit individual needs, & anything that we can do to help break the stigma of dirty/stinky/noisy diesels is a good thing.

But dirty/stinky/noisy diesels are so lovely. Read my above post. A utopian society isn't far off. No more cussing,no more drinking, and certainly no more loud, stinky diesel trucks. Yuck

BCHauler

Adventurer
I think this is a really good advancement for the consumer. How many years have we been hearing that a diesel in a half-ton is what people want? Now we have that option and i hope it is successful. I don't personally understand the negativity that everyone is putting forth. A $2250 dollar premium isn't a lot, especially given the stupid amounts of money people spend for models with fancy interiors and bling-y rims. Platinums, King Ranchs, Denali's,Laramie Longhorns, the list goes on.

If the engine delivers better fuel economy, decent torque, and is reasonably reliable, then let's applaud having more choice. Personally, I don't think there has been a better time to be shopping for a truck, as the range of choices makes it pretty easy to find something that fits your needs.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think this is a really good advancement for the consumer. How many years have we been hearing that a diesel in a half-ton is what people want? Now we have that option and i hope it is successful. I don't personally understand the negativity that everyone is putting forth. A $2250 dollar premium isn't a lot, especially given the stupid amounts of money people spend for models with fancy interiors and bling-y rims. Platinums, King Ranchs, Denali's,Laramie Longhorns, the list goes on.

If the engine delivers better fuel economy, decent torque, and is reasonably reliable, then let's applaud having more choice. Personally, I don't think there has been a better time to be shopping for a truck, as the range of choices makes it pretty easy to find something that fits your needs.

*thumbs-up*

All the base models are roughly the same price, give or take a couple grand...with some haggling, betcha you can own any of the big 3 1/2 tons for around $30K.

Think the Ram has a slight advantage in the ride quality department with the coil sprung rear end. Can't wait to test drive one.

Yeah, what people spend on cars...kinda makes what some of the truck prices seem real cheap...geez my buddy's BMW Alpina B7 was North of $120K....can't even haul any gravel with it, and it fetches 16 mpg city... ;)

A half ton diesel is not a new idea!! GM had them from about 82-99. Like most things it is an improvement on a old idea. The big difference though is when GM did it diesel was cheaper then gas.

Now diesel fuel is more expensive as we all know. I can see a very small area where this truck would be cost effective. I feel it is just a reflection of what consumers want. Things like injector replacement on newer diesels make me run away from them.

I love my old mechanical diesels for their simplicity, ruggedness,range per tank, and the ability to burn waste fuel.

Good for Chrysler for trying the diesel approach but I think the stigma is going to take forever to change and the soot spouting punks are not helping.

BBslider001

Diesel Head

I don't think its negativity as much as opinions on a new product, which is why these posts exist. People have had some pretty good thoughts and FACTUAL math to explain why owning this truck isn't exactly the cats ***** when it comes to ownership. Now if you like it and want one, more power to the buyer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier