New RAM half-ton EcoDiesel gets 28mpg?..

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My concern is the cost of repairs outside of the warranty period. I know the Liberty diesels are ungodly expensive to repair.
As with the Ecoboost Fords,I wonder what a set of oversized tires and a 2" lift will do to the fuel economy #'s?
I don't miss my noisy stinky '98.5 and am glad I scored the last of the '07 5.9's.
The new Petersen's 4wd gave the Ecodiesel pretty good reviews. Mileage was mid teens to mid twenties.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The only draw back is unless you're a "real" mechanic you cannot really work on these engines much.

Hogwash.

The only difference between working on new and working on old is the diagnostics and troubleshooting.
So the only thing that has changed is the tools required to diagnose, and sometimes specialty tools to do the repair.

Once you have that figured out it is much EASIER to work on as the on-board equipment helps you to determine what is at fault.

Was thinking, one of these as an RCLB with a flip pac and a long travel suspension would probably make for a pretty sweet expedition rig for 2 people. Ought to ride nice at least.

Clutch

<---Pass
I think he is referring to the numbers that have been posted. Beyond the gas mileage, what is impressive about this truck?

Torque is excellent....about the same as the Eco-Boost...but better mileage. Eco's are averaging around 18. Like the coil sprung rear suspension too. 8 Speed tranny...wouldn't be that big a stretch to rig up paddle shifters.

Price is going to be a wash...comparing an Eco-Boost to it...both have roughly the same amount of complications.

Nice thing about diesel is, it is safer to transport and stores longer.

Wouldn't say the Ram is leaps and bounds better, or Earth shattering...just a different approach. Specs look good to me.

Just odd that people have been begging for a diesel half ton for years...now that we are getting it...lotsa hostility towards it. It is good to have more options...man, wish Toyota
would get their act together.

Believe with some tuning, betcha you can get over 30 mpg out of it.

Was thinking, one of these as an RCLB with a flip pac and a long travel suspension would probably make for a pretty sweet expedition rig for 2 people. Ought to ride nice at least.

You and I are thinking alike.

Too bad the Quick Up Camper isn't in production.

Last edited:

:drool: That would be perfect. Also, since everyone is complaining about the price, I got on Ram's website and Ford's website. I built a basic RCLB with tow package diesel and eceboost. The Ram diesel ended up being $330 cheaper than the diesel, after haggling with a salesman it'll be a wash.

oldestof11

Observer
And you have to remember that the EPA testing of diesels makes for dismal numbers. HD's aren't rated so we don't know what they get until people start driving them. However, TDi's and Cruze diesels are knocking the EPA highway and combined mileage over having better real world results. Cruze is rated at 42mpg? 3 people I know with them are getting 46-48mpg at 70-80mph. TDi are the same. My brothers JSW is rated at 38mpg and he's seeing 44mpg.

EMrider

Explorer
Torque is excellent....about the same as the Eco-Boost...but better mileage. Eco's are averaging around 18. Like the coil sprung rear suspension too. 8 Speed tranny...wouldn't be that big a stretch to rig up paddle shifters.

Price is going to be a wash...comparing an Eco-Boost to it...both have roughly the same amount of complications.

Nice thing about diesel is, it is safer to transport and stores longer.

Wouldn't say the Ram is leaps and bounds better, or Earth shattering...just a different approach. Specs look good to me.

Just odd that people have been begging for a diesel half ton for years...now that we are getting it...lotsa hostility towards it. It is good to have more options...man, wish Toyota
would get their act together.

Believe with some tuning, betcha you can get over 30 mpg out of it.

There is a tendency here, and on most internet forums, to criticize, nitpick and throw spitwads at new products introduced my major companies. Not to say that criticism is unwarranted. Sometimes it is. But more often than not, it is unbalanced, uninformed and knee-jerk in nature. The most fatuous comments come from the cynics that think big companies are stupid and can't get anything right, or the old-timers that think new stuff is inferior to old stuff.

As always, the market will decide whether or not Dodge got it right with this one.

IMHO, the new truck buyer has never had so many great choices.

R

CCH

Adventurer
I suspect that "all" those folks clamoring for a half ton diesel haven't driven anything running on diesel and don't realize that the difference between today's 1/2 tons and 3/4-1 tons go far beyond the engine when it comes to towing or loading. I also suspect that it will be more reasonable to compare this truck to its 3/4 ton brethren than to VW cars, but I guess we'll find out. Maybe it will last longer than Chrysler's other diesel offerings (large Cummins aside.)

Having to deal with regen, cold weather and increased expense, I just wouldn't push a diesel on anyone without a real purpose for it. If it's what you want, go for it. Just be advised that the differences go beyond which color fuel pump you use.

Clutch

<---Pass
I suspect that "all" those folks clamoring for a half ton diesel haven't driven anything running on diesel and don't realize that the difference between today's 1/2 tons and 3/4-1 tons go far beyond the engine when it comes to towing or loading. I also suspect that it will be more reasonable to compare this truck to its 3/4 ton brethren than to VW cars, but I guess we'll find out.

I have operated all kinds of diesels...everything from heavy trucks, to earth moving equipment, to wee little VW Jettas. Torque would the main advantage over everything else, though the gassers are getting close...they don't have the efficiency with equal amounts of hp/tq (yet). You can plug in Fuel Cost Comparison here. The new diesels sure have come a long way compared to that old crap. A real pleasure to drive and operate.

I wouldn't compare the new Ram 1/2 ton oil burner to anything but other 1/2 tons. I would say right now the closest apples to apples comparison is the F150 Eco-Boost.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
It'll have to be a stripped down light weight 2wd model. AKA: Useless truck.
-!

Funny, all of our dump trucks up to 2.5 ton were 2WD, they were quite handy. Most of the parts delivery and exterminating trucks running around here are light-weight 2WD's...don't seem useless to me. Must be a machismo thing... :D

a9918846-8553-4f35-98e9-5310f7d12049.JPG

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Funny, all of our dump trucks up to 2.5 ton were 2WD, they were quite handy. Most of the parts delivery and exterminating trucks running around here are light-weight 2WD's...don't seem useless to me. Must be a machismo thing... :D

If it is that great then you should by a 2wd regular cab short bed. For the rest of us we may want or need something more. Besides these are just opinions and it :seems to be about 50/50. Some feel this is great some may not. For me I was really excited about this until is saw the the numbers but it is a start. Hopefully those numbers will get better. I am not buying a truck for mpg's that is just an extra benefit. Not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios just right now it is not for me.

CCH

Adventurer

Might also be a geography thing when it comes to 2wd vs. 4wd. ;) If I was running a business where there is little to no snow, I'd be a dedicated 2wd guy myself due to cost, the heck with machismo. Driving over the Continental Divide in Colorado in the winter gives me all sorts of compensation issues that are easiest solved with 4wd. Heck, just driving around Denver after heavy snow gets four wheel high status much of the time. But we digress.

Maybe it's just a taste thing that would get someone to buy a diesel half ton, but the logical reasons are for better fuel mileage or better towing or a combination of the two. Based on the advertised numbers, it just seems like a marginal gain on both counts. It's a free country and everyone is welcome to their choice. Look forward to hearing actual owner reports.

Clutch

<---Pass
If it is that great then you should by a 2wd regular cab short bed. For the rest of us we may want or need something more. Besides these are just opinions and it :seems to be about 50/50. Some feel this is great some may not. For me I was really excited about this until is saw the the numbers but it is a start. Hopefully those numbers will get better. I am not buying a truck for mpg's that is just an extra benefit. Not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios just right now it is not for me.

Just don't think a 2WD lightweight truck is worthless as some like to believe...(doesn't a 2WD half ton have a higher payload than a 4WD version, yeah? by 200 pounds it looks to be... must be totally useless! ha ha!)

...I know Buliwyf is going to come back with something about hauling dirt bikes, yeah well. ;) :rolleyes: Just givin' ya hard time there big boy Mr Buliwyf. :p

19234290.jpg

We owned a Chevy C70...it was 2WD. ;) Must be totally useless since it wasn't 4WD...LOL...good lord, the pissing contest are quite funny. :D :D :D

image_276.jpg

I dunno, a half ton diesel seems like a great compromise between the little trucks and the 3/4-1 Tons. Since I do not work construction anymore
no need for a 1 Ton Pickup...actually the 1 ton pickups were about useless, 8' bed was severely inadequate. 12-14' stake bed with a cab-over chassis was much better.

images

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Might also be a geography thing when it comes to 2wd vs. 4wd. ;) If I was running a business where there is little to no snow, I'd be a dedicated 2wd guy myself due to cost, the heck with machismo. Driving over the Continental Divide in Colorado in the winter gives me all sorts of compensation issues that are easiest solved with 4wd. Heck, just driving around Denver after heavy snow gets four wheel high status much of the time. But we digress.

When I lived in PA....all of our construction trucks and service vans were 2WD.

Personal vehicles were 4WD, but that is because we liked to go play...weren't really needed, tho', you basically had to go looking for trouble to use 4WD. I did, and often! ;) :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior