New RAM half-ton EcoDiesel gets 28mpg?..

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Just read this on Jalopnik's Truck Yeah! - http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2014-...pg-of-any-half-ton-1516591043/@andrewpcollins

"Ram beat everybody to a half-ton diesel pickup for the US, and their EcoDiesel V6 2WD just claimed top honors for fuel economy in the segment with 28-highway MPG and 420 lb-ft of torque.

The 4WD comes in just a hair thirstier at 19/27/22 MPG in city, highway, and combined ratings— still the highest rating available in a half-ton truck with a transfer case.

Chrysler is really trying to dig their heels into the "efficiency" title among pickups. Now that the EPA has confirmed the EcoDiesel's numbers Ram can claim first and second in half-ton fuel economy, having set the record last year with the 25 MPG-highway Pentastar 3.6 V6 that's now number two.

The EcoDiesel uses a completely new block and bedplate, made of lightweight Compacted Graphite Iron (CGI) to shed weight.

A common-rail fuel-injection system called "MultiJet 2" takes a massive degree of variance over how much fuel to inject based on how much power is needed, so I suspect you'd see dramatically different fuel economy figures depending on how an EcoDiesel truck was driven.

A TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic helps the Ram EcoDiesel maintain optimal engine speed, with special attention paid to transmission cooling to maximize efficiency.

Ram's gonna start taking orders on February 7, the truck MSRP'ing at $24,200 plus a $1,195 destination charge. The EcoDiesel/TorqueFlite combo commands a $2,850 premium over a 5.7 HEMI. That includes a transferable five-year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty covering parts and labor, plus three-year, 36,000 mile coverage for everything else.
"

CCH

Adventurer
I drive a Ram 2500 diesel, and have to say I can't get excited. Given the higher cost of diesel and the increased cost of maintenance (guessing on the half ton, but I know the Cummins is more expensive to repair and maintain than a gasser in the heavy duties), it will take you a while to appreciate the fuel savings. The same truck with the gas V6 costs 12.6 cents per mile to drive using mid-grade (the correct octane if you're buying in Colorado). With the 5.7L V-8, it's 14.3 cents per mile. The diesel comes in at 12.7 cents per mile. This is all based on highway mileage figures and today's lower range fuel prices in Colorado. If you put on 20k per year, you only save $320 in fuel for the diesel over the V-8. Just the upgrade alone is going to take nine years of gas (at highway mileage) to save anything.

If my math is wrong, please shoot it down. I just hate that when the discussion starts on diesels, great mileage gets tossed out there without accounting for the higher cost of fuel. Waiting for my truck to warm up (the engine, the actual heater takes longer than it takes me to get to work) in -10 weather today, I wasn't feeling very pro diesel. That feeling only kicks in when I have our 30' trailer on the back. When towing, it's awesome. I guess if you want a 1/2 ton tow rig, this would be a good choice but otherwise...

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I think to be accurate, you would also have to consider the residual (resale) value vs purchased price of both versions in your equation.

I suspect the diesel will hold its value better and be easier to resell (an intangible side benefit).

east_tn_81

Adventurer
The residual value to me will not out way all of the other cost. The average 1/2 ton owner may only own there trucks for 5 to 6 yrs. Now if you factor the higher purchase cost plus the higher maintenece fees and the .40 cents per gallon more is it really worth it. The chevy v8, dodge hemi, and the ford ecoboost have the same amount of torque and more horsepower and cost about 5000 less. These are not the diesel that we all know and love, they are complex. The old diesels were easy to work on and last forverer. To me this is a going after people who do not know any better. You will never recoup that cost in 5 to 6 yrs.

phobos512

One difference you haven't considered is you might get 8 MPG towing with the Hemi but 20 MPG towing with the EcoDiesel at the same weight (based on reviews I've read). That'll make a big difference. Also, it's an error to characterize this engine as "new". It's only "new" to the US. It is otherwise a proven platform. What increased maintenance costs are you guys talking about though? The minor difference of a fuel filter?

My rig's a 2500 CTD as well; 2013 4x4 CCSB. I did however drive a JGC with the new EcoDiesel a few weeks back and was pretty impressed.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I am not sure I believe that 20mpg towing. Anyways I am sure there will be a huge differnce in economy when towing. That is the great news. most half ton owners use there trucks as there daily driver or grocery getter, not as a work truck or tow rig. So the few times a year that they do tow with it still wont out way the other cost. As far as mainenance fees things like fuel filters, more qts of oil at oil changes plus syntheic oil having to add def. All of these add up. I love the idea of diesel I really do. I just dont think this is the slam dunk that others do. When you but a 3/4 ton or bigger the diesel option in these trucks out preform the gasser option. It just dosent seem to be the case here.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Lets not bash the hell out of the ED until all the real world info is in. I'm glad Ram stepped up and actually produced this truck. The EPA has everyone thinking diesel is dirty, which we all know isn't the case. The reason our HD trucks are getting such poor fuel economy these days is the lack of ability for engine manufacturers to tune the engines for maximum efficiency. They are forced to tune for minimum emissions, which leads to poorer fuel economy, which leads to more emissions. What the f? I'm sure my 12v running down the road (not smoking) at 18-20 mpg is polluting less than my friends newer duramax that gets 10 mpg, (Which he now hardly drives due to such horrible fuel economy. Oh, wait, maybe that's what the EPA wanted all along??).

Long and the short of it is, diesels are good engines in general, and although I would look at a gasser if I bought a new HD truck today, I think in the smaller LD trucks the fuel economy is a great thing. Lets face it, the biggest thing 90% of 1500s haul is a pair of mountain bikes or a couple of bags of golf clubs.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have owned quite a few diesel trucks, I currently daily drive a 2011 duramax but I also own a 2013 cummins. If you don't need the pulling power they are just not worth it IMO. Modern gassers are just as if not more reliable than diesels, and last about as long too.

east_tn_81

Adventurer
I have owned quite a few diesel trucks, I currently daily drive a 2011 duramax but I also own a 2013 cummins. If you don't need the pulling power they are just not worth it IMO. Modern gassers are just as if not more reliable than diesels, and last about as long too.

^ agree totally. Most 1/2 tons dont have a really hard work life. 23mpg from chevy v8 and 22mpg from the current ford ecoboost (rumored 2015 is even better). So for me again the cost dosent out way the benfits in a 1/2 ton.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
28mpg? Yeah, good luck with that. It'll have to be a stripped down light weight 2wd model. AKA: Useless truck.
-
If you need a diesel, then you'll also need something bigger than a 1/2 ton truck with petite coil springs in the rear. I'd take a small block gasser for $5k less.
-
.....but if I had a Dodge 1/2ton diesel, I could put a huge "C" sticker in my back window like the cool kids!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
I'm back in the UK

I just bought a 2005 Range rover sport TDV6 diesel.....I get 28-30mpg with no issues ...at least so far !

each week I seem to get a heavier right foot as the new car "what was that noise" wears off

its big heavy as aerodynamic as a brick and full time 4x4....I was quite surprised I'm getting the advertised milage

Its a 2.7 v6 with a six speed tranny, the engines a BMW offshoot

Mind you the sat nav crapped out already 8-(

Last edited:

east_tn_81

Adventurer
28mpg? Yeah, good luck with that. It'll have to be a stripped down light weight 2wd model. AKA: Useless truck.
-
If you need a diesel, then you'll also need something bigger than a 1/2 ton truck with petite coil springs in the rear. I'd take a small block gasser for $5k less.
-
.....but if I had a Dodge 1/2ton diesel, I could put a huge "C" sticker in my back window like the cool kids!

^ Can we wear a flat brim hat with the stickers on it still? Maybe I can have a usless smoke stack in the middle of my truck bed.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
A 1/2 ton diesel makes sense for the guy that pulls a moderate sized trailer on a regular basis (moderate load, but not primarily supported by the trucks suspension).

For the folks who use a truck as a daily driver/light duty bulky object carrier - meh. The gasser is probably a better choice, particularly with the higher diesel fuel cost.

Personally, it's not for me - but I welcome the advancement. More options to better suit individual needs, & anything that we can do to help break the stigma of dirty/stinky/noisy diesels is a good thing.

John E Davies

Adventurer
Diesel is not just about burning less fuel between fillups - you get an incredible highway range and that is a huge deal for me. My '06 Ram 5.9 with a stock 34 gal tank has long legs (600+ miles), and I don't have to drag along cans of extra fuel like in my 80, which on a really good day gets 275 miles before empty.

Plus a small turbo diesel will have huge torque, better than a gasser. Plentiful torque makes the driver smile.

I don't think anybody buys a diesel, especially one equipped with emissions junk, any more to save money.

I just read that Nissan has a concept truck - a Frontier with a Cummins 2.8 four banger.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
That is a nice "pre-emissions" diesel engine... and are you talking about those bigger "british" gallons? i.e. Imperial vs. US gallons?

I'm back in the UK

I just bought a 2005 Range rover sport TDV6 diesel.....I get 28-30mpg with no issues ...at least so far !

each week I seem to get a heavier right foot as the new car "what was that noise" wears off

its big heavy as aerodynamic as a brick and full time 4x4....I was quite surprised I'm getting the advertised milage

Its a 2.7 v6 with a six speed tranny, the engines a BMW offshoot

Mind you the sat nav crapped out already 8-(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94