Ford F-150 Dream Expo Build...

ethernectar

Adventurer
Preface: I may be able to put together a expedition-oriented F-150 for my employer as a showpiece/marketing tool. I need to put a basic 'plan' and budget together to green light the project and I definitely want to put an expo spin on it. Only guidelines I have at the moment from Mgmt is that it needs to be an F-150, but not a Raptor.

So I'm thinking 4x4, 4 door, 6' bed. From there the options are wide open with the guiding principal being function over form. Mild lift, rack, lights, etc. - but all real-deal stuff, no chrome bling. ;)

Looking to hear from Ford guys with links/pics/etc.

Thanks,

Matt

Mods, if this is the wrong spot, sorry, please move it.

ethernectar

Adventurer
Surly: General expedition, fire-roads, desert camping, etc.

Camper: 6' 6-1/2' whatever is their mid-length. You'll see from my signature I'm a Yota guy, so not up to speed on all the F150 details yet.

shellb

Adventurer
I’ll play along…

2014 XL 4x4 SuperCab with 6-1/2’ box, 5.0L V8, 3.73 locking rear axle, XL plus package with cloth seats and no other options.
Sticker is ~33k and you get a functional, no frills truck with 4x4 and a rear locker.

Mods:
  • Level kit and perhaps new shocks
  • 285/75R17 Toyo AT II XTs
  • Hidden winch
  • DECKED truck bed storage system - http://decked.com/
  • ARE topper
  • Sliders
  • Skid plates

There you have it… brand new truck built for under $40k that can pretty much go anywhere (within reason), haul all your stuff and family, allow for stealth camping/sleeping inside with no chrome or bling. :victory:
Then again it probably wouldn’t be too effective as a marketing tool as it will just look like a normal F150… :elkgrin:

ethernectar

Adventurer
Thanks, hadn't seen the Decked solution before.

The truck will get some kind of wrap/graphics application, but I definitely want everything to be legit and moderate expo worthy (say Mojave Road or similar).

Raul B

Explorer
You can click on my Signature for my f150 build. You also didn't state what year truck it is.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Any reason for it not to be a Raptor?

Was very impressed at how mine handled being on path-finder duty being the lead car through the Liwa deserts this weekend. Great suspension and stability and with beadlocked tires aired down was able to crawl it's way up lots of tricky sections in the sand. The other cars in the group needed speed to get up things - but I was able to creep up and make sure it's safe to proceed.

1012534_10151915980797647_1069651497_n.jpg

The only limitation of the Raptor is really the short bed. The FX-4 can get a longer bed which is more ideal for putting a camper shell on and sleeping in the bed if that's the direction you want to go... but Raptor with a roof tent worked great for me for the first trip out.

I now need to focus on refining how I pack everything so it's accessible and organised.

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
I'll play along…

2014 XL 4x4 SuperCab with 6-1/2' box, 5.0L V8, 3.73 locking rear axle, XL plus package with cloth seats and no other options.
Sticker is ~33k and you get a functional, no frills truck with 4x4 and a rear locker.

Mods:
  • Level kit and perhaps new shocks
  • 285/75R17 Toyo AT II XTs
  • Hidden winch
  • DECKED truck bed storage system - http://decked.com/
  • ARE topper
  • Sliders
  • Skid plates

There you have it… brand new truck built for under $40k that can pretty much go anywhere (within reason), haul all your stuff and family, allow for stealth camping/sleeping inside with no chrome or bling. :victory:
Then again it probably wouldn't be too effective as a marketing tool as it will just look like a normal F150… :elkgrin:

That Decked storage thing is a great idea - only problem is you won't be able to fit a Waeco Fridge or decent sized cool box under the tonnau cover if you go that route...

Probably best used with a ARE Topper shell to get some useful height above it and keeping things clean.

ethernectar

Adventurer
Great question. My first thought was "Raptor" (muwahahahaha) but after more thought and a better understanding of the purpose the F150 format was more realistic.

There's a few reasons:
1. This may serve as a concept for a number of trucks that will see lots of highway mileage, so the F150 makes more sense from that POV.
2. A "Raptor" drives interest all on its own, we want the build to stand on its own. But I will admit, the Raptor was my first impulse as I mentioned.
2. Price

Oman4x4

Laurie Bridger
Great question. My first thought was "Raptor" (muwahahahaha) but after more thought and a better understanding of the purpose the F150 format was more realistic.

There's a few reasons:
1. This may serve as a concept for a number of trucks that will see lots of highway mileage, so the F150 makes more sense from that POV.
2. A "Raptor" drives interest all on its own, we want the build to stand on its own. But I will admit, the Raptor was my first impulse as I mentioned.
3. Price

Points 1 and 3 - fair enough :)

On point 2 - probably depends on the area you are in - here Raptors are quite common sights. Doing something that's a little unexpected with a Raptor (i.e. going the expedition route as opposed to trophy-truck route) gets some attention :) My reason for choosing one was based on being able to leave the drivetrain / suspension stock and just focus on the camping / expedition side of the build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke