Transfer case and Differential gear oil

twocommas

Observer
I am looking to replace the gear oil in my transfer case and differential in a 1998 Montero. The car was bought with about ~150k miles and no records, so it seems like a good idea :)

I called the Mitsubishi dealer and they told me that oil for the differential depends on whether I have a "regular" or a posi differential. They can't tell me over the phone, but if I pay a billion dollars for their service, they will put in the right gear oil. :Wow1: I saw some photos of how to change this out, and it looks pretty easy, so I wanted to do it myself.

This is a bit outside of my wheelhouse, and my research online didn't get me an answer. I am wondering if you can tell me which ones I will need. And are the transfer case and differential oils different?

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Not sure if your '98 calls for the same lube as my '02, but my FSM specs GL-4 for the transfer case and GL-5 for the differentials.
I'm running Amsoil gear lube in my rig and couldn't be happier.
Don't worry, it's an easy job- drain, check the plug magnet (and clean), reinstall plug to spec. torque, and fill.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
Inyo_man is correct.

GL-4 for the transfer case
GL-5 for the diffs

It's a simple drain and fill for all 3.

- make sure the vehicle is level
- remove the drain and fill bolts
- drain fluid
- replace drain plug
- fill with fluid until fluid is level with fill hole

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
If I can't find an answer online I always find it funny that the local Napa has better specs on fluids and specs than the dealer....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If you have a limited slip, the rear diff gear oil needs a limited slip friction modifier additive. To determine if you have an LSD, lift the rear end and while its on jack stands or a floor jack, front wheels chocked, go ahead and turn the rear wheel on one side and if the other side turns in the same direction, you have an LSD. Opposite directions open diff.

If this was a factory installed option there should also be a plate on the diff housing noting it having an LSD and requiring LSD additive as well as a sticker in the cab saying the same thing.

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
Axle, Front API Class GL-5 (1.3 qt)
>-10 deg F SAE 90, 85W-90, 80W-90
-30 deg F to -10 deg F SAE 80W, 80W-90
<-30 deg F SAE 75W

Axle, Rear API Class GL-5 (3.3 qt)
>-10 deg F SAE 90, 85W-90, 80W-90
-30 deg F to -10 deg F SAE 80W, 80W-90
<-30 deg F SAE 75W

Transer Case API Class GL-4 (2.6 qt)
SAE 75W-90 or 75W-85W

Make sure the fill plug opens before you drain...

mapper

Explorer
jlocster said:
Make sure the fill plug opens before you drain...

If you have changed diff oil before this is a key step in the process on any older vehicle...especially in the rust belt.

twocommas

Observer
Thanks for all the replies!

Autozone guy recommended "Coastal" brand, and Mitsubishi obviously wants me to buy their stuff. If price isn't an issue, is this one of those things where Mitsubishi oil is a better choice?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No... Not for diff's or xcases. I'd be the last to recommend only Mitsu stuff in this situation.

Auto Transmissions? That's a different story.

GFO

Observer
If it helps, here's what I recently used:

-Red Line MT-90 for the transfer case. It's GL-4(don't use a GL-5, it can eat away at the yellow metals in the t-case) and synthetic. Shifter slides right into 4WD with little or no resistance at all.

-Lucas Oil 75-90 gear oil for the Frt/RR Diffs. It's GL-5; I used the synthetic version. I've not had a problem with it that I know of, but I do wish I had used a Red Line brand instead.

-Red Line D4 ATF for the transmission. It's synthetic and the tranny loves this stuff, shifted smoother immediately after.

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If you have a limited slip, the rear diff gear oil needs a limited slip friction modifier additive. To determine if you have an LSD, lift the rear end and while its on jack stands or a floor jack, front wheels chocked, go ahead and turn the rear wheel on one side and if the other side turns in the same direction, you have an LSD. Opposite directions open diff.

If this was a factory installed option there should also be a plate on the diff housing noting it having an LSD and requiring LSD additive as well as a sticker in the cab saying the same thing.

Not sure about the '98 LSD, but the Gen. III LSD does not require an additive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94