Transfer case and Differential gear oil

BOPOH

Explorer
If you have a limited slip, the rear diff gear oil needs a limited slip friction modifier additive. To determine if you have an LSD, lift the rear end and while its on jack stands or a floor jack, front wheels chocked, go ahead and turn the rear wheel on one side and if the other side turns in the same direction, you have an LSD. Opposite directions open diff.

If this was a factory installed option there should also be a plate on the diff housing noting it having an LSD and requiring LSD additive as well as a sticker in the cab saying the same thing.

Hi, just want to clarify for myself: my rear wheels turn in opposite directions - open diff. Even though i have locker i can still use regular gear oil without any LSD additives, correct?

Clem

Adventurer
Axle, Front API Class GL-5 (1.3 qt)
>-10 deg F SAE 90, 85W-90, 80W-90
-30 deg F to -10 deg F SAE 80W, 80W-90
<-30 deg F SAE 75W

Axle, Rear API Class GL-5 (3.3 qt)
>-10 deg F SAE 90, 85W-90, 80W-90
-30 deg F to -10 deg F SAE 80W, 80W-90
<-30 deg F SAE 75W

Transer Case API Class GL-4 (2.6 qt)
SAE 75W-90 or 75W-85W

Make sure the fill plug opens before you drain...

Reviving an old thread because it is time to change the diff and transfer case fluids. Would it be acceptable to run 75W-90 in the diffs as well as the transfer case? I was going to with Royal Purple Max-Gear High Performance Gear Oil.

Thoughts...:coffee:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If I am reading it right, Royal Purple's website states it is both GL-4 and GL-5 compliant...http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_Max_Gear.pdf

What do you (all/anyone) think?

Thanks,

Clem

That sounds a bit fishy to me...
I've heard both good and bad reports on Royal Purple.

...been running Amsoil for over a 100k now, works a treat.

GL-5
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/synthetic-80w-90-gear-lube/?code=AGLQT-EA

GL-4
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA

newworld2004

Adventurer
Not sure if your '98 calls for the same lube as my '02, but my FSM specs GL-4 for the transfer case and GL-5 for the differentials.
I'm running Amsoil gear lube in my rig and couldn't be happier.
Don't worry, it's an easy job- drain, check the plug magnet (and clean), reinstall plug to spec. torque, and fill.

can't find it in FSM link what is torque Spec for 1998 rear and front differential drain and fill plug?

Thx

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
can't find it in FSM link what is torque Spec for 1998 rear and front differential drain and fill plug?

Thx

Not sure if your 1998 is the same as my 2002, but the Chilton for my year has the following:

Transfer case drain/fill plugs 33Nm
Diffs. drain/fill plugs 60 Nm

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I was going to change out the front and rear seals for the transfer case driveshaft today until I went to a couple of auto parts stores and was unable to find and synthetic GL-4 gear oil. The only possibilities were Lucas and Royal Purple. Thoughts? I understand the issue with GL-5 is the sulfur corrodes the brass in our transfer case but the Royal Purple specifically says it is non-corrosive to soft yellow metals. My only other option is putting it off and ordering some more Redline MT-90. I have several quarts of Redline 75/90 I can use for the diffs but I'm out of MT-90 (I use MT-90 and 75/90 in my Evo and DSM diffs/t-case too).

image.jpg
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke