Old Pentax K1000 35mm plus lenses.. any value in these?

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
So, we are moving.. this time out of the country (change of station to Ramstein, Germany).

One of the beauties of moving every 2-3 years is the systemic "purge" that comes with packing/unpacking everything you own that frequently.

I came across my old camera bag with the following in it:
PENTAX2_zpsd5bb404f.jpg

PENTAX1_zpsc9e0e58a.jpg

Pentax K1000 (kit) I bought in 1993, and a Tamron 28-200 F3.8-5.6 Aspherical lens (with adapter) I bought in 1995. There was even a roll of film in the camera (perhaps shots of my ex-wife... be warned).

Is there any market/value for these anymore? Will saunter over to eBay to see what's up there but that can be a fool's errand..

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
Wow- that was my first SLR, 30+ years ago! I've kept mine more out of sentiment than use/practicality, along with a Polaroid and Brownie. It was a great purely mechanical, no batteries required, pre-electronic solid design camera- but not very practical, esp now when purchasing/developing film is getting more difficult/costly.

Value? Maybe as a collectors item, or for use, if there's no rust or places for light to leak in around hinges. Check a local art school/university art dept. Or some retro artist/photographer might want it for a project.

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
I weighed the sentimental value and the "these things might be worth something one day" thought process... for a moment.. and then listed the whole set on eBay. It will, at least, be an interesting experiment.

Viggen

Just here...
The 50/ 2 is a $10 lens. The camera body might be $35. The Tamron, probably the same as the body. Not high on the desirable lenses list of Pentax owners (of which, I am one 4 times over).

Toyotero

Explorer
I sold a camera and a few lenses to a camera shop. They refurb them some, new felt pieces and such and sell them mostly to photography students. I felt I got a fair price for them. Best of luck.

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
Viggen,

thanks.. I'd be happy to pull that much $ out of it.. I listed it on eBay as a set just to see what it would go for.. will report back w/results.

Toyotero.. yes, perhaps a course of action (students).

A friend posted up a humorous collection of facts about "hipsters" the other day.. one of the pictures was of a guy (or girl) with a K1000 tattoo on their arm. Funny enough, it caught my eye in the same week I happened to drag this thing out of the closet.

here's the link.. it's about half way down, #15:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/05/you-call-that-a-hipster_n_4717993.html

OSV

Adventurer
The 50/ 2 is a $10 lens. The camera body might be $35. The Tamron, probably the same as the body. Not high on the desirable lenses list of Pentax owners (of which, I am one 4 times over).

x2

the flip side of that is that they'll all work on a sony nex mount camera, using a cheap adapter.

i have a bunch of legacy glass that i'm putting on the a7r... most of 'em look really good, but the wide angle lenses are problematic on the sides.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
My dad's old Canon AE-1 is sitting by my feet with 4 lenses and a 2x extender. I found a 6-pack of 35MM film I might use in it. I definitely need to get my $#!^ together before using that though.

Don't the Pentax lenses work on another brand of camera?

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
to answer my own questions.. it seems my setup was worth $39 + shipping (one bidder met my minimum sale price on eBAy). Should have listed it for slightly higher!

That'll buy me a few six-packs of Bristol Brewing ;)

OliverPhotograph

If you have a Pentax K1000 camera and are wondering whether it still has value, the good news is that it definitely does. The K1000 is appreciated for its classic design and reliability, and many photographers and collectors still prefer film over digital. Consequently, there's still a market for these cameras and lenses, especially among individuals who love film photography.

Precise valuation of your camera and lens can be challenging without detailed information regarding their condition. Nevertheless, you can do some research on popular sites like eBay and Craigslist to obtain an approximate idea of how much similar items are selling for. You may also want to try contacting local camera or vintage shops, as they might be interested in purchasing or consigning your items.

Remember that the worth of film cameras and lenses can be subjective, so it may demand a little time and effort to find a buyer. But, it's nice to know that your still valuable camera and lens can still attract interest today. If you're interested in learning more about Pentax K1000 cameras and lenses, I recently came across a great article that might be helpful. It covers everything from lens compatibility to shooting tips and techniques, and it's definitely worth a read if you're a film photography enthusiast.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles