Crazy? Selling my nearly new Truck and buy a Syncro...

8-Lug

DAV!D

I did.. I bought a Syncro and then sold my Tacoma. I decided that the Syncro needed a bit more work than I had planned and decided to do a motor swap. In the meantime I bought a 2wd Westy to drive in the meantime.

Just a suggestion, don't over look 2wd Vanagons as they are not bad off road and you can get a much better one cheaper than a nice Syncro.

Somewhere I saw where someone combined the Westy camp gear onto a Syncro- maybe on here. You already have the best of both, Just a thought.:cool:

Cole

Expedition Leader
lack of G-gear and diff-lock(s) make the T4 and T5 worse than the T3 Syncro in terrain

also the inner-room is less since they no longer have the forward cab (or they are longer for the same inner-room as the vanagon)

as a replacement of a 2wd vanagon they are better

More interior room? That is hilarious!

They have interior room until you try to put your camping gear in them. It all fits under the rear seat of a T4/T5.

I can fit TWO full size motorcycles INSIDE a SWB T4 and still sleep 2 up top. Do that with a t3:coffeedrink:

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
Over here wie can have the T4 ( for less money then the T3).

Inside you have 30cm less room then in the T3 ( Short Wheelbase) and its not so good when it come to serious 4x4.

The Engines are much more efficent and powerfull ( the 2.5 TDI with 150 HP is a Killer ) and yes, you got a Car that is more modern.

But here come the next problem, a modern Car means that you cant do anything on your own.

On the T5 this means: you got a Problem, go to your VW Dealer and he will have a look in his Laptop.

All the new Cars, especialy the Diesel with Euro 5 are more like a Spaceship then a Car.

And they are very sensitive for crappy fuel, whats getting worse if we will leave Europe and going to Moroco, Tunisia or far East ( Mongolia).

I like to travel, most of the Time I dont need 4 Wheel drive, what I need often is the Groundclearence and for a hidden Camp on the end of the Day 10- 30 Minutes the 4x4.

I know, I will buried lots of Money...
I know also, I will have repairs every Year...

But I know I will love this white Syncro!

Stephan

Cole

Expedition Leader
Checking faults and engine diagnosis on my cell phone is much easier than the old school method!

Working on the new stuff is MUCH easier to me.

syncroluvr

Everyone has their opinion but I have yet to see a T4 follow me anywhere. From Splitty to Bay, the T3 is an icon and I love mine, I even gave up smoking to up the budget! T3 people are their own kind of "special" and not having to spend money at the stealers is just a plus for me. Long live the T3! :victory:

Cole

Expedition Leader
T3 is very cool.

Not sure why you think anything more modern requires a dealer though. Simply not true.

I

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
This thread tugs on my heart-strings. :) Maybe it's my vehicle ADD-strings.

I'm in the midst of building up my current vehicle into a pretty awesome all-around overland vehicle. Then this thread pops up about throwing caution to the wind and saddling up a 20+ year-old brick on wheels.

I swear whenever I see a pimped out vanagon my head swivels and I secretly wish I had my troopers pink slip in my glove box....

I love my dad's westy, and truth be told, he's had to put quite a bit of $$ into it, but then again. I've got several thousand $'s into my trooper already within the first year of ownership...

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
Driving yesterday from Hamburg to Mannheim and today I give my Money and become my new old car...

Bo2XVkE.jpg

lkO2oSK.jpg

KBMwDxz.jpg

63P17y5.jpg

now back home, after 10 hours driving back home I`m a little bit exhausded, but still happy...

Stephan

John W

Observer
Those are so awesome. A buddy of mine had one. Love the venting split windshield. Don't push it hard in the heat, he killed 2 engines that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior