Crazy? Selling my nearly new Truck and buy a Syncro...

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
Yes, I dream about a Syncro manny Years ago.

But always thinking and never doing it wasnt the right Way...

So I sell this

Lg26lQf.jpg

and buy this

Xhiah3X.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality.

1.6 TD 117.000 KM and completly rust free ( the main Problem here in Germany).

Have to wait until end of February to bring her home.

More to come...

Stephan

rmcdougald

Lots of money for upgrade and maintenance but you will be building a very utilitarian vehicle that will go anywhere and allow you to camp in comfort. Resell is great for well maintained factor syncro westys. Check out gowesty.com.
Buy the best condition vehicle you can afford.
Watch for at seam rust, rust in rockers, windows and below westy fill ports. Look for a syncro with motor upgrades, brake upgrades, transmission rebuild with proper gearing for motor, fuel lines replaced, plastic coolant lines replaced, syncro fuel tank straps replaced and so on. Lots of great info on the samba website about this. Go for it.

Cole

Expedition Leader
OP is in Germany. Resale over there isn't anywhere near what it is in the USA!

Mitubitchy 3.5

Adventurer
Yes, Pricelevel here is far away from the US Market.

You pay around 11.000- 16.000€ for a good Syncro, a Bus ( Vanagon) or a Panelvan not a Westy...

Syncro Westis are hard to find, and absolutly overpriced for what you get.

My is a complete rebuild, so there is absolutly no Rust, not the seams, not on the Body and not under the Van.

And its completly nacked inside, so I can see all the critical areas...

Holy, I am so happy!

Stephan

DAV!D

Adventurer
I did.. I bought a Syncro and then sold my Tacoma. I decided that the Syncro needed a bit more work than I had planned and decided to do a motor swap. In the meantime I bought a 2wd Westy to drive in the meantime.

Just a suggestion, don't over look 2wd Vanagons as they are not bad off road and you can get a much better one cheaper than a nice Syncro.

003.jpg

These are mine.

vwhammer

Adventurer
As a die hard VW nut and a plain old Vanagon owner I see no issues getting rid of a cookie cutter truck or SUV for a minty fresh Syncro.
However, with all that said, there are a few more maintenance issues that will pop up with a Syncro than you will see with most newer rigs.
I would also say there is no other ride on the road that you can drive anywhere and camp in as efficiently as you can the Vanagon/Syncro.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I would also say there is no other ride on the road that you can drive anywhere and camp in as efficiently as you can the Vanagon/Syncro.

In the USA :coffee:..

The rest of the world got modern 4wd VW campers with Diesel engines and camping equipment upgrades and more useful space:coffeedrink:

Cole

Expedition Leader
name 1 which comes close to the T3 syncro?

In stock form? For long distance travel? Fuel mileage? Reliability? Comfort? Camping amenities? Power? Drivability? Cargo room?

The T4 and T5 syncro/ 4Motions blow theT3 away in all of those categories!!!......as they should since they are a direct descendent of the T3 where the engineers get to look at the specific features/benefits and issue of each generation and improve upon them!

Start modifying and then it's just a matter of how much you want to spend and fab to win the argument.

Don't get me wrong the T3 is very cool! The Syncro version is the only choice for a 4wd small camper in the USA which makes it very popular here. But in the rest of the world where they have consistently produced the newer versions those have become insanely popular too!

Here is a quote from GoWesty who specializes in Vanangons and "Eurovans" IN THE USA. MEANING THEY ONLY SEE THE "Eurovan" and not all the other versions of the T4 and never the T5!

If you were to compare the two vehicles' top 30 attributes on paper, the Eurovan would beat the Vanagon 26 to 4. The Eurovan is in fact superior to the Vanagon in ALL respects, except for these:

3 of the last 4 would probably change if they saw the other versions of the T4 and the T5

12416516253_252c2901b6_b_d.jpg

12416899294_4df4cff9d0_o_d.jpg

9282813697_3f38021fa4_b_d.jpg

8902083137_b49f987feb_b_d.jpg

8902695492_a64ce0d553_b_d.jpg

9227655206_9a38ce513f_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

David_h

Too bad not available in USA. I would gladly replace my 2008 F250 w/Hawk FWC with a T5 4-motion camper. I had a nice 1987 T3 syncro Westfalia camper but they are too old for me.

coguzzi

Adventurer
I've spent plenty of time in eurovans, and have personally owned 6 t3 syncros (as well as several type 2 busses) No comparison on use of space and drive feel of a forward cab design. I would buy a t5 4motion hands down if available, but it will never compare to a vanagon syncro.

My trust worthy modern vehicle is a tundra with 4 wheel camper ironically, but I'm still building another syncro since they are so awesome

Leipo

lack of G-gear and diff-lock(s) make the T4 and T5 worse than the T3 Syncro in terrain

also the inner-room is less since they no longer have the forward cab (or they are longer for the same inner-room as the vanagon)

as a replacement of a 2wd vanagon they are better in terms of roadmanners and comfort, but as a replacement for the syncro? no way!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94