95 Montero - intermittent no start

Xocomil

I bought a 95 Montero LS recently here in Guatemala, Central America.

The car has been reasonably well looked after, and drives nicely.

However, it has an annoying quirk.

If the car sits for a week it will not start up. There is power (windows, lights, etc all work) but the starter won't engage. To get the starter to engage I push the car back and forth, bounce it, tap around the battery/relay box next to battery with a stick, and eventually it'll start right up no problem.

If it's been sitting for just a few days it'll just start right up without a fuss.

I've checked the battery (fine), replaced two short battery cables (which were a bit corroded), checked the obvious relays, but haven't solved the problem.

I don't have a manual (and wouldn't be able to get one down here) and wondered how y'all would approach the problem.

Thanks!
Dave

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What's the condition of the starter, starter solenoid and associated Starter wiring? In my experience, when I had similar problems it was either the ignition switch (replaced now), bad starter solenoid (rebuilt/replaced) or possibly a faulty car alarm (fixed by original installer).

HTH

Xocomil

Haven't removed the skid plate yet. Car is in bad spot ... and won't start! Think you're right though ... problem must be at one of the two ends. I think I'll start with the starter and work my way back.

The weirdest thing is how it's related to the length of time since driving the car. I would have imagined this from my old VW bus (full of "personality") but not from the Montero.

Thanks for the advice!

plh

Explorer
I've replace the starter in both my '92 & '93 (both 3.0 V6). Pretty easy to do. Probably just the starter solenoid, but being the entire starter needs removal to get the solenoid, I replace the whole thing. Its about an hour job laying on your back under the truck.

Reading your symptoms - sounds more like a poor battery cable connection near the battery being that is the area you are tapping. I had to bang on my starter with a stick and hammer to get it to jostle around internally to start. It would fail about one start every 2 weeks. Too much of a PIA so I quickly did the R&R.

Last edited:

Xocomil

Thanks plh. I'll do a little investigation this weekend and see if I can't get to the bottom of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles