Stock or near stock vehicles

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the replies.

I have been looking for a purpose built vehicle like a Jeep for a while now. I have been driving SUV's for the past 22 years and in their stock form have taken me where I wanted to go with a family vehicle. For the more difficult areas I have fallen back on ATV's. Now back to being single and no kids at home I want to stat exploring parts of Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and the flatter parts of Colorado. I am a native Coloradoan and have explored many parts of this wonderful state.

Reasons for wanting to lift my truck: looks cool, higher clearance for getting into more back country in Colorado

Reasons for staying stock: I take my ever shrinking mother out for breakfast every weekend and she has a hard enough time getting into my truck. This is important to me as we don't have many more years of doing this. Also there is the reliability factor with the suspension.

I really wanted back into a truck platform and was liking at Toyota and Nissan but the MPG's weren't the best and then there was the comfort for long drives. I cam across a great deal on my Sierra and am not regretting it at all. Very nice ride and I know it will take me into the areas that I want to go into...from there ATV's

I am looking to fix up the topper with better lighting, power from a second battery, curtains (suggestions welcome!) and a sleeping platform.

Seeing so many lifted vehicles in Colorado you sometimes feel you can not go up into the hills with out one. It is nice to see others that like to explore in their stock or near stock vehicles. I would also like some suggestions for trips into the areas listed above.

Take care and keep on exploring.

Jerry

Jerry, I lived in Colorado for 8 years and drove many of the trails, let me know where you are at and I can make some suggestions.

shmabs

Explorer
Close to stock 4runner

I like to think of my 4runner as the 97 4runner that toyota should have built. I have come to learn that when it comes to parts availability, overall reliability, and less $ spent the closer to stock the better (this is only my personal experience with my current platform, and i am in no way saying that modifying a vehicle makes it less reliable).

This truck has been a good balance of needs vs wants, and overall i'm happy with my 4runner that i feel is "close to stock".

My basic setup consists of:

-a stock engine, trans, t-case
-axles removed from a 99 4runner limited, to gain the 4.30 gears and rear locker option
-tundra trd coils with bilstein struts
-ome 890 coils with first gen toyota tundra TRD bilstein shocks
-stock spare steel wheels and 265/75/16's
-me built skids, rear control arms and diy4x4 sliders.
-lots of preventative maintenance!

Overall its a pretty capable truck, that's still comfortable and can pull decent mpg.

Mike

madmax718

Explorer
Just goes to show ya, you don't need much. Man, I bet that guy has some stories to tell..

From what I've seen and experienced, exploration and expedition, can be mostly on road- or mostly off road- or something in between.

Spend less time and effort for the build; spend more on the trip and travel. I too have been a victim of the perpetual build- by the time Im done, there may be no dirt roads that I can drive on legally.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I bet it didn't have those traction bars on it.
Nah; but the Rustang did.
My brother's crowd was the drag racing crowd. Chevys with 396s, a couple of crazy MOPARs too.
Dad sold the Coronet to one of my buddies and he still has it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
From what I've seen and experienced, exploration and expedition, can be mostly on road- or mostly off road- or something in between.

Very true. I did a lot of "exploring" in a 2wd Ford Ranger when I lived in Wyoming. Of course I was restricted to paved or well graded dirt roads, but I still managed to see, and do, a lot.

Spend less MONEY for the build; spend more on the trip and travel.

That's how I look at it. Money is a zero-sum game: Every dollar you spend adding a capability that your vehicle doesn't really need is a dollar you can't spend on traveling. ;)

I would love to take a 3-week trip to Alaska in mid-Summer. If I did, I wouldn't take my 4runner: Too big and too expensive to drive. I'd outfit my DD Mazda 2wd pickup (same thing as a Ranger) for camping and spend the rest of my money on gas, food and other travel expenses!

rfroy

Observer
Live in Longmont. Many of the roads I traveled with my father in the late 60's / early 70's were done with a 2wd Chevy pickup, now these trails require 4wd and lift kits!

rfroy

Observer
Very true. I did a lot of "exploring" in a 2wd Ford Ranger when I lived in Wyoming. Of course I was restricted to paved or well graded dirt roads, but I still managed to see, and do, a lot.

That's how I look at it. Money is a zero-sum game: Every dollar you spend adding a capability that your vehicle doesn't really need is a dollar you can't spend on traveling. ;)

I would love to take a 3-week trip to Alaska in mid-Summer. If I did, I wouldn't take my 4runner: Too big and too expensive to drive. I'd outfit my DD Mazda 2wd pickup (same thing as a Ranger) for camping and spend the rest of my money on gas, food and other travel expenses!

My thoughts exactly! I have a car that is paid for and was my DD but I figure I could sell it and take the money and travel this summer. I have gone many places in Colorado with just a 2wd Toyota in the early 80's but those trails are now 4wd only. I have no problems with county dirt roads or fire roads but I don't do rocks in anything costing more than $5000. My son says I need to live a little. He has a wrangler with a lift kit, big tires and oh yah a busted transmission from crawling on the rocks.

Clutch

<---Pass
You can get waaay back in without 4WD....who says a 4 wheeled vehicle has to carry you? Plenty of other ways to do it, hiking, cycling, motorbikes, boats...

What you don't spend on mods, you can buy other equipment. My dirt bike takes me further "in" than my Tacoma ever could. All I need is something to haul my gear.

Ridge Runner

Delta V
My dad had one of these before his Mustang and it was our camping rig. People used to come up on us in Jeeps at our favorite sites and say, "how the heck did you get that in here?"

1966dodgecoronet500041209.jpg

Before he got his CJ-5, my grandfather's "Jeep" was a '31 Chevy 2 door sedan.

madmax718

Explorer

If you do intend on going, consider flying there, and renting a car. I rented an RV, but had my family with me. the Cost of getting your truck up there and back will easily exceed the cost to fly+rental.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If you do intend on going, consider flying there, and renting a car. I rented an RV, but had my family with me. the Cost of getting your truck up there and back will easily exceed the cost to fly+rental.

I've been to Alaska 3 times, arriving by air twice and by ship once. So if I go again I'll drive, just for the experience of doing it.

mapper

Explorer
In addition to saving $$ for travel by not modifying a vehicle too much you save time too. For me $ and time are the two most precious resources. I don't mind going to work and I do actually like turning wrenches to keep my rigs maintained but I'd MUCH rather be out exploring. I can cover all but the most challenging ROADS (not 4x4 trails), including old double tracks with my loaded AWD Astro van (220k miles) with +2 tires, 2" lift shackles, slightly cranked t-bars AND...a cooler full of delicious food and beer.

I drive slow and careful but I still often end up catching up to the overbuilt rigs that have to drive even slower because they have too much heavy steel bolted to every nook and crannies. That said we always want more and I keep thinking I need low range...so I succumbed to buying another rig.

I also have an inverter installed in that van for almost 3 years...I have used it 0 (zero) times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94